Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 17, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #2,341 of 23,494
Thanks for all the replies guys. I know this whole tube rolling thing is mostly personal preference but I always feel like I can never find my ideal sound signature. My LCD 2s are the closest I have heard to my ideal signature and although I havent heard my LCD 2s on something better than my uber bifrost and lyr, i think i will roll a few more tubes before upgrading. I don't know where to go next, I feel like going to the white label PQ's will be more of a sidegrade or downgrade rather than an upgrade so I need impressions/comparisons, that would be very helpful, thanks.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2,342 of 23,494
  Thanks for all the replies guys. I know this whole tube rolling thing is mostly personal preference but I always feel like I can never find my ideal sound signature. My LCD 2s are the closest I have heard to my ideal signature and although I havent heard my LCD 2s on something better than my uber bifrost and lyr, i think i will roll a few more tubes before upgrading. I don't know where to go next, I feel like going to the white label PQ's will be more of a sidegrade or downgrade rather than an upgrade so I need impressions/comparisons, that would be very helpful, thanks.

With minor setbacks, the Telefunkens from upscale are very impressive after burn in. Another option you may consider. They are, from what I've seen on this forum over time, one of the most favorable "non-Holy Grail" tubes and very attainable at this time. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2,343 of 23,494
I take great solace in the incredible sound I have achieved with the Tele E88CC's from Upscale, my Bifrost, Lyr, and self modded T50RP's(BMF varient) It has taken me a few months, a few tubes, to decide what my sound preferences are. The last tube gear I owned were a pair of Acoustat Electrostatic Speakers back in the 70's.I still own all SS gear in my BIG system, B&K, Anthem, Carver, all great stuff. But the enjoyment this Lyr amp has brought has me mesmerized. The incredible micro details, accurate timbre and voicing for instruments, dynamic range, WOW. I am going to have to rethink this SS vs Tube thing. Time for me to step away from this forum for a while and simply enjoy the music. I am not one to need or enjoy different tubes and sound signatures as some of you do, but I respect that approach, and want to thank all of you who have responded to my post's with advice and support. Last night I listened to an album I am very familiar with. First time with the Bifrost/Tele/Lyr, previously with my Audio GD NFB12. The album is "Whats it all About" by Pat Metheny, solo guitar. Not his usual wild Jazz stuff, but beautiful, lyrical, melodious. His arrangements of 50s,60s, Pop, Rock, Folk hits. Perhaps best appreciated by those who grew up in those times. Highlights include: "The Sound Of Silence", played on his 32 string Pikasso guitar, stunning sound no other guitarist can create. (What's It All About) "Alfie", the numerous changes of key, tempo, and dynamics, just wonderful. You will be humming this silly pop tune for days. Finally, "And I Love Her", by you know who! The difference in sound from the NFB12 to the Bifrost/Lyr.....with the NFB12 I was in the 5th row at the concert, with the Lyr I was the microphone by his guitar. Enjoy!  
Well that's my point, different folks have different tastes and different systems. The HD800 with the Moon Black Dragon V2 cable is quite a different hp then the modded T50RP. What makes tube gear verstile is the ability to change up the sound, either to fine tune that satisfying sound, or if after a long while to change things up a bit. With solid state it's the same sound forever - which is great for some folks! Unfortunately, every piece of audio gear has a sound signature. I'm a guitar player - same goes for guitars. A strat sounds different then a tellie - and even those can sound different from each with different strings, pickups, etc.. It's just a fact of life and audio. I try to look for as real and natural a sound signature as possible.

Btw bought Pat's Unity Band on, I believe, your rec awesome album! Thanks!

Enjoy the tunes! :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2,345 of 23,494
Haven't tried in the Lyr, but for a Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11 preamp/Dac, I & many others definitely prefer the Amperex 6922 PQ US version over the Holland version. YMMV.

Can't recall if this has been posted recently, but here is a good review source for 6DJ8, 6922 tubes: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8 (scroll down as necessary).

System synergy, musical tastes, ear frequency range capabilities, etc. play a huge part in what a given listener prefers tube-wise. For example, I use the solid state out of the subject preamp/DAC connecting to the Lyr & utilize Telefunken E88CC's to good effect with more neutral cans: Alpha Dogs. Too many tubes in the chain, or warm tubes with warm cans/ speakers, etc. can overdo a good thing.

vvv The Amperex 6922 PQ is a white label made in the USA. I purchased over a yr. ago, & don't recall manuf. date. vvv

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,346 of 23,494
Haven't tried in the Lyr, but for a Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11 preamp/Dac, I & many others definitely prefer the Amperex 6922 PQ US version over the Holland version. YMMV.

Which American-made Amperex 6922 are you using as your reference?

I own two pairs of US-made Amperex 6922, one pair manufactured in 1961 (7L6 *16), and the other in 1964 (7L9 *4J). The 1961 has just a bit more warmth and body in the mid-range compared to the 1964, which is a bit leaner and drier. That is, at some point between 1961 and 1964, somewhere between revision 7L6 and 7L9, the sound of the US-made Amperex 6922 changed. Therefore, when talking about the "sound" of an American-made Amperex 6922, it is important to know the year of manufacture.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,347 of 23,494
Any of You Lyr rollers have tried Siemens E88CC with grey shield, O-ring getter and gold pins? How You rate it with Lyr? It`s the best tube I have found for my modded Aune T1 and wondering if it`s also so good with Lyr.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,348 of 23,494
vvv The Amperex 6922 PQ is a white label made in the USA. I purchased over a yr. ago, & don't recall manuf. date. vvv

This information is printed on your tube. 

For example

My 1961 pair have the following production code printed on the tube: 7L6 *1B

First line:

7L = 6922

6 = Revision #6

Second line:

* = Amperex New York

1 = 1961

B = the second month, February, 

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,349 of 23,494
Should I try to roll some telefunken E88CCs? Or will they sound similar to my Siemens?

And how much can I sell my siemens for? I am guessing $300 - 500? for a NOS pair? I could be wrong though.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,350 of 23,494
  Should I try to roll some telefunken E88CCs? Or will they sound similar to my Siemens?

And how much can I sell my siemens for? I am guessing $300 - 500? for a NOS pair? I could be wrong though.

There are a lot of Siemens E88CC's available.  Even with it being an earlier S&H with the grey shields I'd guess you'd be very lucky to get over $200 on the For Sale Forum here.  Probably do better on ebay but I'll give you a loud round of applause if you can  sell them for $250.  I'll predict $150 to $170.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,351 of 23,494

There are a lot of Siemens E88CC's available.  Even with it being an earlier S&H with the grey shields I'd guess you'd be very lucky to get over $200 on the For Sale Forum here.  Probably do better on ebay but I'll give you a loud round of applause if you can  sell them for $250.  I'll predict $150 to $170.

Yesterday this seller sold 3 matched sets of your tubes for 59 bucks. They sure look like the plate is grey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-matched-balanced-pair-tested-SIEMENS-E88CC-hardly-used-tubes-gold-pins-/360963762708?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item540b1dea14

What don't you like about them? Maybe easier to suggest what you are looking for, something warmer?

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,352 of 23,494
I'm looking for a matched set of tubes on the bright side, with good soundstage for HE500's. My Lyr is coming tomorrow, and I'd like to have another set besides the ones that come with it. I want to do some A/B compare, preferably ones that won't break the bank ( < $100 ). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanx.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2,353 of 23,494

Bang for the buck, I'd see if rb2013 has some of his Russian pairs he could hook you up with.  You'll think you've died and gone to
heaven after the stock tubes. 
  I'm looking for a matched set of tubes on the bright side, with good soundstage for HE500's. My Lyr is coming tomorrow, and I'd like to have another set besides the ones that come with it. I want to do some A/B compare, preferably ones that won't break the bank ( < $100 ). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanx.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,354 of 23,494

Thanks. Are they really worth $150? The E88CC's I have are 1962 and 1964 which both have gray electro static plates and the rare o getters. They are considered "extremely rare" according to tube museum and I cant any on Ebay, only the later models. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #2,355 of 23,494
  Thanks. Are they really worth $150? The E88CC's I have are 1962 and 1964 which both have gray electro static plates and the rare o getters. They are considered "extremely rare" according to tube museum and I cant any on Ebay, only the later models. 

Lol, Tube Museum's always very "creative" in it's pricing and advertising.  I think you'll do very well to get $150...but that's just my guess.  E188CC or Cca's would be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back