Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,266 of 23,494
I am a bit bummed now, opened up the rest of the boxes of teles to find one tube with very bent pins and the gold plating severely worn off on many of the pins. Also only the set I first opened had matching serial numbers. The rest are not even close. One even has the paint work almost complacently worn off and the serial number is illegible. I might attempt to return these 4 and just keep the good pair. Oh well :frowning2:
It's very unusal to see bent or worn pins on NIB ('New in the Box') tubes. The pins on the one I received look new. Wondering if upscale has sold through the new ones?

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #2,267 of 23,494
I received a response;
Hi Andrew,

Are you able to take a picture of the pins that shows what you mean?  Tele E88CC pins do not have gold plating... they’re gold pins…

We do not match tubes by that serial number.  We match them by their test numbers.  All of these tubes come from the same batch in 1968; serial numbers don’t always match…

I will take picture and show you guys later. The pins are now straight, I managed to put them into a socket saver and that fixed the issue. I'm ok with unmatching serial numbers I guess, considering they all should be from the same year, even though 5 of them have a serial number string starts with a 2, and only one starts with a 3, a little strange.

I bit the bullet and put them all into the Lyr, sonically they all sound the same. The rest of the pins are perfect, besides that one (not the one with the serial number that starts with a 3), they look factory new. Maybe I'm just being picky. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #2,268 of 23,494
  I will take picture and show you guys later. The pins are now straight, I managed to put them into a socket saver and that fixed the issue. I'm ok with unmatching serial numbers I guess, considering they all should be from the same year, even though 5 of them have a serial number string starts with a 2, and only one starts with a 3, a little strange.

I bit the bullet and put them all into the Lyr, sonically they all sound the same. The rest of the pins are perfect, besides that one (not the one with the serial number that starts with a 3), they look factory new. Maybe I'm just being picky. 

Pretty sure Tele date codes are a little deceptive.  I'll try to dig up the format.

There are a few pages on the Net that list the format.  Here's one:
www.audiotubes.com/teledate.htm

It can get complicated, as a 1964 may be indistinguishable from a 1974 going simply by the date code.  That said, here's a summary from the above link:

On the side of the tube there is a 7 digit code beginning with a letter B for Berlin or U for Ulm, and might end with a letter. You only need the first letter and the first 5 digits to determine the factory and the manufacture date. For example, U9208811:
U= Ulm, West Germany
Day=reverse the first and second digit=29.
Month=third and fifth digits=08=August
Year=fourth digit is the year, 8=1968.
Therefore, we have Ulm factory, August 29, 1968. Another example: B2009300
B=Berlin factory.
Day=reverse the first and second digit=02
Month=third and fifth digit=03=March
Year=fourth digit=9=1969

This code would then be Berlin factory, March 2, 1969.

Another good site:
www.tubemuseum.org/SearchResults.asp?Cat=23

Scroll to the bottom for the format summary.

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #2,269 of 23,494

Thanks Thurston, Good news is they were all indeed made in 68'. I can read the one with the paint rubbed off in the right light, it does look like an 8 as well for the 4th digit. This is very helpful. Thanks again! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2,270 of 23,494
  Thanks Thurston, Good news is they were all indeed made in 68'. I can read the one with the paint rubbed off in the right light, it does look like an 8 as well for the 4th digit. This is very helpful. Thanks again! 
beerchug.gif

Glad to help out 
beerchug.gif

I'd say with E88CCs, if they're from the same factory and year, and test well, they'll probably sound good together.  Maybe you should save your "nice" pair for the future and run the other two, or one of the other two.  I think you're right about the re-sale value.  Even Kevin at Upscale expects his price to go up eventually.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,271 of 23,494

Glad to help out 
beerchug.gif

I'd say with E88CCs, if they're from the same factory and year, and test well, they'll probably sound good together.  Maybe you should save your "nice" pair for the future and run the other two, or one of the other two.  I think you're right about the re-sale value.  Even Kevin at Upscale expects his price to go up eventually.

I guess we have different takes on this. I was one of the first posters who recommended these tubes. Yeah, most of them sound great. However Upscale Audio's(Kevin) description of "97%" platinum, NOS/NIB yadaya hasn't held up. My first pair, Gold, measured @ 23%,26%. I Emailed him because RB2013's single, Gold measured 6.5%. I told him the tubes I received didn't meet their "Gold Standard". He said" these numbers could be higher based on available stock", AVAILABLE STOCK 97% platinum, ********! He was dismissive of my assertions and offered "other" calculations saying my tubes were 21/23%, also saying my claims were "neither here nor there". "Tubes with up to 40% mismatch between triodes were no problem" For me this is like: Gosh Kevin, I thought I ordered the chrome bumper, you sent the painted bumper" Kevin says, there is no diff in performance in the chrome or painted bumper, get over it. This guy seems to think whatever claims he makes in his description don't count in what you get. I have received some Platinum pairs that also sound great. Buyer Beware!! Really sad because he has some great tubes, really inconsistent. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2,272 of 23,494
Anyone know if a pair of these will be any good? I want to buy 2 of the socket savers off of here and am looking for a cheapish pair of tubes to buy with them too see if I can notice any big difference in the tubes.

http://www.tubemonger.com/Sylvania_6922_E88CC_NOS_NIB_Leiws_Kaufman_USA_p/1161.htm

Also considering the hp labelled orange globes etc that were posted before but if possible would like to combine postage from tubemonger unless there tubes aren't good or are overpriced?

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,273 of 23,494
  Anyone know if a pair of these will be any good? I want to buy 2 of the socket savers off of here and am looking for a cheapish pair of tubes to buy with them too see if I can notice any big difference in the tubes.

http://www.tubemonger.com/Sylvania_6922_E88CC_NOS_NIB_Leiws_Kaufman_USA_p/1161.htm

Also considering the hp labelled orange globes etc that were posted before but if possible would like to combine postage from tubemonger unless there tubes aren't good or are overpriced?

I had a recent experience with tubemonger and I have to say they are an excellent company to deal with. I had ordered 2 of the socket savers from them, one was defective. It made a very loud popping noise. They did question me and said that this was rare, however shipped me a new socket saver without even asking for me to return the defective one. All in all a great company to deal with that obviously values their customers. As for the tube, if you are in the 50$ price range another excellent option is 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-E88CC-TESLA-NOS-NIB-/251280670765?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a817ec02d

These tubes are dead silent, sound wise they are about average to above average, but for practicality purposes I find myself using them the most.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,274 of 23,494

Notice these are 1970's era Sylvania 6922, rebranded and distributed by Lewis Kaufman. IMHO, the OG's are much better sounding tubes....

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2,275 of 23,494
I guess we have different takes on this. I was one of the first posters who recommended these tubes. Yeah, most of them sound great. However Upscale Audio's(Kevin) description of "97%" platinum, NOS/NIB yadaya hasn't held up. My first pair, Gold, measured @ 23%,26%. I Emailed him because RB2013's single, Gold measured 6.5%. I told him the tubes I received didn't meet their "Gold Standard". He said" these numbers could be higher based on available stock", AVAILABLE STOCK 97% platinum, ********! He was dismissive of my assertions and offered "other" calculations saying my tubes were 21/23%, also saying my claims were "neither here nor there". "Tubes with up to 40% mismatch between triodes were no problem" For me this is like: Gosh Kevin, I thought I ordered the chrome bumper, you sent the painted bumper" Kevin says, there is no diff in performance in the chrome or painted bumper, get over it. This guy seems to think whatever claims he makes in his description don't count in what you get. I have received some Platinum pairs that also sound great. Buyer Beware!! Really sad because he has some great tubes, really inconsistent. 
That's sad. 40% is huge! I would say around 10% is ok. His calculation uses the higher section readout as the divisor - this minimizes the percentage difference. If 20% + diff are regularly shipped as 'Gold', I'd pay more for 'Platinum'. I thought my experience was the norm.

His story about how he aquired this massive stash of NIB tubes - something like flying to Europe to close a deal worth 'hundreds of thousands of dollars'. That would imply he bought 10s of thousands of these! He even shows an open case. This allows one to assume he has a deep stock to ship from, and can send better selected tubes.

Tube dealers! I guess it's not just the Russians.

BTW One difference between the CCa and the E88CC is the select tolerances.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,276 of 23,494
Jun 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,277 of 23,494
  Thanks for the help PinkLed and Gibosi I think I may pick up the Orange Globes that were posted the other day,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-HP-HEWLETT-PACKARD-ECC88-6DJ8-HOLLAND-E88CC-6922-7308-/141311803722?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20e6d7014a

Just wondering if these are generally a quiet tube? I basically only use planars if that makes much of a difference but I can sometimes still hear that faint tube screech every now and then with my stock GEs.

No problemo. Just about every tube suggested on this forum is leagues ahead of the GEs, They are about a 3$ tube, if even, from what I recall. There was a time I was out of tubes and I put back in the GEs just to keep the Lyr running. I just decided to use my PC jack output for the time being because of the microphonics. They are awful in the microphonics department, and any vibrations on my desk would set them off like a bell. At least from my experience. Get some OGs, they were my first upgrade as well. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,279 of 23,494

I'm actually with you on this.  It's still possible the resale value will be good for those who bought more than one pair.  I mean, if he's really got the supply he claims, and he raises his prices, and they're otherwise hard to find, that'll raise the ceiling for people with pairs to sell, and they can undercut his price.  I wasn't implying that there aren't problems with orders coming from Upscale.  Trust me, your description of dealing with him puts me off parting with $250-$300.  Maybe if I didn't already have plenty of tubes and was dead set on getting those Teles, I'd bite the bullet.

It sucks that you got the runaround, but I'm sure those following this thread really appreciate you sharing your experience.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #2,280 of 23,494
  I had a recent experience with tubemonger and I have to say they are an excellent company to deal with. I had ordered 2 of the socket savers from them, one was defective. It made a very loud popping noise. They did question me and said that this was rare, however shipped me a new socket saver without even asking for me to return the defective one. All in all a great company to deal with that obviously values their customers. As for the tube, if you are in the 50$ price range another excellent option is 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-E88CC-TESLA-NOS-NIB-/251280670765?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a817ec02d

These tubes are dead silent, sound wise they are about average to above average, but for practicality purposes I find myself using them the most.

+1 & +1.

I was really impressed by Tubemonger's customer service.  I also really like my "32" labeled Tesla E88CCs.  Fantastic bass, and no slouch in other areas.  Great for the price.  Hmmmm, time to roll those in, I think.

Just noticed that that pair are ECC88s.  I paid around $65 for the E88CCs on eBay, so it might pay to look around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back