Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,251 of 23,494
  You may be better off ordering from Asia since they will get there faster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-HP-HEWLETT-PACKARD-ECC88-6DJ8-HOLLAND-E88CC-6922-7308-/141311803722?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20e6d7014a

Those should be the same as orange globes, I am pretty sure they are 1967.

These would be the same as bugle boys -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/matched-pair-Amperex-hp-ECC88-6DJ8-large-getter-E88CC-6922-7308-E188CC-/261486510485?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3ce1cf8195

These look fine and the prices are quite reasonable.

Ive found OGs so hard to find of late, people must be grabbing them up like crazy (at least in NOS and reasonably priced, seeing some go for +70$ for a pair, I remember they were sub 30$ not even a year ago) . Still lots of BB though with reasonable prices. 

Since the OP has no experience with OG's or BB's, I would not encourage him to chase after NOS. After all, they are expensive and may not be to his taste. Better to try a used pair, and then, if he finds that he really likes them, he can be patient and wait for a good deal on some NOS, or at least a used pair that measure close to NOS, to pop up. (And my apologies if the OP is a her :)

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,252 of 23,494
So one of my stock GEs has developed some pretty annoying microphonics after about 150 hours of use. looking to buy a matched pair today or tomorrow.

Looking for as cheap as possible for tubes that will be an upgrade. I have Alpha Dogs and listen to a broadrange of music from classical to EDM to melodic hardcore.

Any suggestions guys on specific tubes or where to get them from which is AUS friendly in terms of shipping?
I really like the 6n23p. The dealer situation is a mixed bag - I've bought over 50 different lots on ebay to find the particular tubes I'm looking for. Many Russian, Ukraine, Moldovian, Bulgarian dealers ebay will often send you different tubes then pictured or discribed - it has been fustrating. I've had to resort to buying many batches and hoping the versions I'm looking for showup. I do have a tube tester, apporx 30-40% fail testing. Often these 'failed' tubes will work, as they may have one weak section or severly mismatched sections. These fails will sound muddy, with a narrow soundstage. So buyer beware there.

PS I do sell the excess tubes as matched pairs on ebay. I'm only looking for a few special ones to keep.

My box of failed 6n23p's.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2,253 of 23,494
Got the teles today, first impressions..... 
dt880smile.png

They really make my LCD2r2 so much better as well. Ive fallen in love all over again!

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,254 of 23,494
PS I do sell the excess tubes as matched pairs on ebay. I'm only looking for a few special ones to keep.

What's your ebay account name?
Cant seem to find it doing a search

Thanks for the help everyone, has been very encouraging might have to check out that SEA seller.

Also was thinking of getting some socket savers from tubemonger while i'm at it, is this worth it?

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,256 of 23,494
What's your ebay account name?
Cant seem to find it doing a search

Thanks for the help everyone, has been very encouraging might have to check out that SEA seller.

Also was thinking of getting some socket savers from tubemonger while i'm at it, is this worth it?
It's rb90002009. I don't have any Voskhods listed now, but will put up a couple of pairs tomorrow. I'm not a dealer, but have some spare pairs. For over a year I've posted here about these amazing tubes, and have been unsatisfied with many of the overseas dealers. So I've collected a large amount, and have put together date matched, tested pairs. I wanted folks to hear how good a well matched pr can sound. I've had a long experience with 6922 type tubes, going back over 20 yrs. Besides the Lyr I have two amps and a DAC that use these same tubes, and I've been blown away at what a difference they've made.

Of course not all 6n23p sound the same, so I've posted my experiences with the different years and constructions. Recently, I have been hunting down just a very rare and select group of these.

I only ship to US addresses, as I don't want to mess with customs. But Ebay have a 'Global Shipping Program' where they take care of all that, and I can just ship the tubes to them, they handle all the rest.

Good luck on your tube rolling, it's a lot fun, and the best audio bang for the buck I've encountered.

PS Yes! Get the Tubemonger socket savers, they make swapping tubes on the Lyr way easier.

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #2,257 of 23,494
Are there any half decent matched pairs from tubemonger? Seeing as shipping is 10 flat rate if there is I will buy some with the socket savers to save money paying 2 lots of shipping.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,258 of 23,494
Are there any half decent matched pairs from tubemonger? Seeing as shipping is 10 flat rate if there is I will buy some with the socket savers to save money paying 2 lots of shipping.

Another option for you. I have 3 matched pairs of tubes I am selling. I have settled on the rather expensive Tele E88CC's($200+), will be selling my others. 1- RCA Red label "Holland", 6DJ8/ECC88. These tubes were purchased from Mercedesman, Ebay a couple months ago. They were made by Matsu****a/Japan on Mullard tooling, $40 plus shipping. 2-EI/Siemens ECC88/6DJ8 NOS/NIB with about 60hrs on them, made in Yugoslavia on Telefunken tooling, Seimens label w/Siemens boxes, $60, plus shipping. 3-Genalex Gold Lions from Cryoset E88CC6922. New production, cryoed, about 70hrs on them, $80,plus shipping. All pairs will include high quality gold plated Chinese socket savers that work well in the Lyr. PM me if interested, I have no idea what shipping would be to your location. If you PM me with your address I can calculate shipping.
satwilson. I will be listing these on the For Sale Forum later today.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,259 of 23,494
  Got the teles today, first impressions..... 
dt880smile.png

They really make my LCD2r2 so much better as well. Ive fallen in love all over again!

Of course they really get better after 50-100hrs. Just received my second backup pair yesterday. So far everyone who has bought them has nothing but great things to say. And yeah, falling in love again, going back to my favorite recordings hearing details and clarity that just weren't there before. I'm jealous, you got 3 pair!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #2,260 of 23,494
  Of course they really get better after 50-100hrs. Just received my second backup pair yesterday. So far everyone who has bought them has nothing but great things to say. And yeah, falling in love again, going back to my favorite recordings hearing details and clarity that just weren't there before. I'm jealous, you got 3 pair!!!!!!!!!!

Like you guys said, these tubes are an investment, If I don't use a pair I can probably sell them for the price I got all three for in 10 years. I may be exaggerating but its still fun to think about investing in tubes rather then stocks. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,261 of 23,494
I am a bit bummed now, opened up the rest of the boxes of teles to find one tube with very bent pins and the gold plating severely worn off on many of the pins. Also only the set I first opened had matching serial numbers. The rest are not even close. One even has the paint work almost complacently worn off and the serial number is illegible. I might attempt to return these 4 and just keep the good pair. Oh well :frowning2:

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,262 of 23,494
  I am a bit bummed now, opened up the rest of the boxes of teles to find one tube with very bent pins and the gold plating severely worn off on many of the pins. Also only the set I first opened had matching serial numbers. The rest are not even close. One even has the paint work almost complacently worn off and the serial number is illegible. I might attempt to return these 4 and just keep the good pair. Oh well :frowning2:

Sadly, that's been reported herein with those Teles from Upscale.  At least one Head-Fier forged ahead and stuck them in his Lyr.  He was pleased with the sound.  I think he only reported bent pins.  Sorry for your troubles.  I hope Upscale will honor your return request.  This is the kind of thing that keeps $300 in my bank account every time I'm tempted to get them.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,263 of 23,494
"Upscale Audio prides itself on offering the best tube testing in the industry. Every single tube is tested one at a time in-circuit, using real-world voltages."

How could they even complain if you ask to exchange them?

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,264 of 23,494
I've completed my review of the top 6922s. I have an excellent single Telefunken E88CC with approx 150 hrs for sale. Tests better then 'Platinum' grade - which is within 10%.
This one tests 14,800/13,900 within 6.5%. Pins are excellent, print is good. Date codes is 1968.
They sell for $129 on upscale, I'm selling for $100 plus $8.5 shipping (why does upscale charge so much for shipping). PM if interested.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,265 of 23,494
  "Upscale Audio prides itself on offering the best tube testing in the industry. Every single tube is tested one at a time in-circuit, using real-world voltages."

How could they even complain if you ask to exchange them?

I suppose they could argue that they tested them and found them worthy.  But yeah, they certainly shouldn't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back