Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 7, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #14,326 of 23,494
Tk , all my tube sound comes from the dac in my main rig. Super clean very powerful balanced ss. I ha6. It's a beast of an amp for the dough. 2nd rig has the lyr and no tubes in a ds dac. Lh geek. Running the 6sn7 in the lyr. Very happy with them save for a slight ground issue.
Main rig will likely keep rolling 5670. Size constraints. They also just kick the hell out of 6922 in the dac. Way more evident than in the lyr. The only tube that makes that system sound tubey is the we. But I like the ts and ge a bit more in there.
Stay safe this weekend. I'll resist posting a Youtube link to REO's classic... :wink:

Oct 7, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #14,328 of 23,494
Sam! Well done. Good read. The tubes are great, but the storytelling is even better! I'm coming back for the next sermon ...uhh review, I mean review.
As nice as those little acorn size tubes are, you gotta love the coke bottles. : )
Rangy and Preacher Sam's people are working on a Coke Bottle Revival tent for this Sunday, at a fairground TBD. It's the new way to hold a Head-Fi meet.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #14,329 of 23,494
Hola Friends!

Ok........ so......... Another journey, another post (sermon). Lol.

First, I wanted to let you guys know that I dabbled in a different direction as well this past week, with a Tung-sol 5687. Bought the adapter, and tube based on some impressions on other sites, and schiit was cheap , so I figured wth. Well after roasting 3 tubes within an hour. It's apparent that my dac can't run these. According to Scott, the 24v power supply is too much. So..... no dice with that tube.

Ok...... so........ Now the nuts of the story (sermon). Lol

So this past week I've been messing with these 6c8g tubes. 3 tubes in total.

1. Ken-rad
2. Tung-sol black glass
3. Tung-sol (rebranded National Union)

First I have to thank Bob for bringing this tube to the thread! I was considering setting up a go-fund-me page for him , so people can donate money to his ability to make jaws drop, and souls rediscover themselves!

First up to bat:

Ken-rad. I have approximately 45 hours logged on this tube.
I have a better understanding of where Bob's taste lies in tubes. Between the Russians, and these Ken-rads. There's very similar traits, in which I would designate the we396a , with this bunch. BUT!........... The 6c8g is a different animal when it comes to the dimensionality , and imaging! The dimensionality is endless! I mean endless! Imaging has a much more distinct placement, but BIGGER.

The Ken- rad is a very rich tube to my ears. It's silky, with a natural liquid like presentation. Excellent holography, and deep pounding bass.
When switching to the TS-BG.......... Christ, I guess I'm going to regurgitate my famous word again. VORTEX!
To me, the TSBG , has a huge presentation. Truly gorgeous midrange! The realism of this tube is nothing short of stunning! I'm a HUGE Susan Tedeschi fan. Her voice is soul clinching with some of the notes she breaths at you. This tube is capable of bringing you to tears with certain songs! It's the most transparent and dimensional thing I've heard to date. I'm close to 50hrs on this tube right now. In the beginning, it's a little dry, and flat sounding, but it's bloomed into something ridiculous.
So...... last but not least. My NU re-label. This tube is another phenomenal tube! Super airy, and super transparent. Very 3D, and imaging is fantastic! The air in this tube is insane! If it had the meat and potatoes of the TSBG, it would easily be my top choice! No doubt
For some it could very well be your saving grace. Same goes with the Ken-rad.

They're all fantastic tubes. It's just like everything previous. There's something for everyone here. We all hear things differently, have different gear . I highly recommend for anyone to give these a go. You will not regret it at all!

Thanks Bob! You are the man!

Thanks T, for giving me the kick in the arse, to get the ball rolling. Lol

Cheers folks
:beerchug:

Well if my first impressions hold up, there's not a whole lot for me to add to Sammy's eloquent description of the Tung Sol 6c8g's. We do seem to hear and like a lot of the same things. Now keep in mind my tubes had a grand total of about 7 hours on them when I listened last night. They haven't even begun to open up. But as Master Bob, Prophet Tony and SamSam the Preacher Man have already noted, it was apparent to me after listening to the first song that these are true monsters. Gatekeepers of the Vortex. The vast space of the soundstage is really hard to describe...but impossible to forget once you hear it. And you would think that the massive size would in a way distance you from the music...but it somehow brings the music closer. If you like to inspect certain instruments individually within songs like I do, these tubes offer the best vantage point I've heard yet. All you have to do is dial in the volume and each guitar, piano, drum or voice become believably and resonantly REAL. I am on that freaking volume knob like I'm piloting the Space Shuttle during re-entry. These bad boys take volume like no other...and pay you back in spades. And with that special 6N3P-E/6SN7GTB/6C8G chocolatey smoothness. Closest thing to live music I've heard on headphones yet. Seems like I'm saying that every other week lately. But what the hell, I guess that's life in the VORTEX. I ain't complainin'.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #14,330 of 23,494
It's unreal bro. You nailed it with the space and volume comment. I thought the same at first, but it does the complete opposite and swallows you. Lol. And yes I noticed myself with the volume as well Billy. The presence of music is staggering.
Well if my first impressions hold up, there's not a whole lot for me to add to Sammy's eloquent description of the Tung Sol 6c8g's. We do seem to hear and like a lot of the same things. Now keep in mind my tubes had a grand total of about 7 hours on them when I listened last night. They haven't even begun to open up. But as Master Bob, Prophet Tony and SamSam the Preacher Man have already noted, it was apparent to me after listening to the first song that these are true monsters. Gatekeepers of the Vortex. The vast space of the soundstage is really hard to describe...but impossible to forget once you hear it. And you would think that the massive size would in a way distance you from the music...but it somehow brings the music closer. If you like to inspect certain instruments individually within songs like I do, these tubes offer the best vantage point I've heard yet. All you have to do is dial in the volume and each guitar, piano, drum or voice become believably and resonantly REAL. I am on that freaking volume knob like I'm piloting the Space Shuttle during re-entry. These bad boys take volume like no other...and pay you back in spades. And with that special 6N3P-E/6SN7GTBA/6C8G chocolatey smoothness. Closest thing to live music I've heard on headphones yet. Seems like I'm saying that every other week lately. But what the hell, I guess that's life in the VORTEX. I ain't complainin'.

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #14,332 of 23,494
i'm too busy stuck in the 80's tonight with my PW valvo e88cc listening and enjoying this stuff

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #14,333 of 23,494
i'm too busy stuck in the 80's tonight with my PW valvo e88cc listening and enjoying this stuff

Still got 1 pair of PW left, Valvo CCa Heerlen`s, never selling them babies.
The WE JW 50`s square getter sure do give them a run for the money at a fraction of the cost. May like the WE better. Have not heard those PW in a couple months though.

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #14,334 of 23,494
Tone, I appreciate the sentiment but hate the song. I was pulling safety pins through my face when those songs were on the radio.
Tk, great prices again. Your altruism is inspiring.
Everyone else I'm resisting the move for a minute. I'm gonna order the adapters. That oughta give me a month to enjoy the last purchases.
Thanks Sammy for the evaluation. I was wondering about those national tubes. So cheap

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #14,335 of 23,494
And Nate just got here....so I ordered the adapters for the 6c8gs.
Outer bands are throwing rain sideways. This oughta be fun ...till the power goes.
I've been experiencing a little more Intimate engagement with the 6sn7 than the other classes in the lyr. Doesn't pop like the TS did before they broke. More open and softer in attack but somehow still more engaging

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #14,336 of 23,494
I see the tides have shifted yet again! Are these ginormous TS tubes truly a step above all of the 5670's?

I certainly ask myself the same question. There is to me a definite sound signature difference between the 2c51’s and the 6c8g/6ns7gbt et al group. But again im just getting started on the second group...none of those tubes of mine are close to being broken in. But they have a smoothness and a grand scope that the 2c51’s don’t. On the other hand the 2c51’s that I like have a mid- high and high end sparkle and transparency that I haven’t heard (yet) from the 6c8g group. Some may say that the 2c51’s to their ears are more detailed as a result. Bottom line both are magnificent. And you can’t beat the price.

Edit: The fact that the TS6c8g's look totally badass in my amp with their fearsome size, black glass and Frankenstein wires doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #14,338 of 23,494
I certainly ask myself the same question. There is to me a definite sound signature difference between the 2c51’s and the 6c8g/6ns7gbt et al group. But again im just getting started on the second group...none of those tubes of mine are close to being broken in. But they have a smoothness and a grand scope that the 2c51’s don’t. On the other hand the 2c51’s that I like have a mid- high and high end sparkle and transparency that I haven’t heard (yet) from the 6c8g group. Some may say that the 2c51’s to their ears are more detailed as a result. Bottom line both are magnificent. And you can’t beat the price.

Edit: The fact that the TS6c8g's look totally badass in my amp with their fearsome size, black glass and Frankenstein wires doesn't hurt either.

Awesome, I like the sound of that, I'm still burnin' 5670's and now mixing and matching with my brand spankin' new Elears, so I'll probably check these out in the near future. I'm swimming in upgrades at the moment, time to kick back and jam out :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back