Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 7, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #14,341 of 23,494
So far so good
I hope you're safe down there Todd!

Ditto 'Nawlins' bro. Be safe !!!
It's cool here, for us. 75ish. Storm veered east .we have rain and 20-30 mph Winds .
Thanks guys.
Spending the day with the vibro and the 6sn7s in the lyr. Makes me wonder what I wanna upgrade for. This combo is awesome.
Anyone looking for sick used hps check the classifieds here. There are 2 sets of Omni / ori for $400. Midrange and sub bass lovers. They are closed hps with thick sound.
About time to fire up the main rig since we're under curfew anyway.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #14,343 of 23,494
ken rads are staying in my amp for a while now <3 burn in still in progress but very balanced sound to my ear. Tung sols 2c51 too much mids for me.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #14,344 of 23,494
In my dac I've been using another mongrel pair. The last surviving grammpa TS and a square getter rca. It was the last purchase. Back to the beginning. It may still be my favorite implementation . So natural, a touch warmer than neutral.
The 6c8g adapters have shipped. So I have a couple of weeks to shop for tubes. Don't see any TS, but a number of nats out there. The rca seems to plentiful. If only there were a prophet of these to guide me...

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #14,345 of 23,494
During the day off I worked a few things bugging me. The ground noise on the 6sn7s in the lyr. Restacked all connectors in a different order. Problem solved. 3 hrs later, I could hear some floor noise from the amp. Not pervasive but audible when music was not happening. Normal ? Is it the 600ma heater current? It is a lyr v1.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #14,347 of 23,494
In my dac I've been using another mongrel pair. The last surviving grammpa TS and a square getter rca. It was the last purchase. Back to the beginning. It may still be my favorite implementation . So natural, a touch warmer than neutral.
The 6c8g adapters have shipped. So I have a couple of weeks to shop for tubes. Don't see any TS, but a number of nats out there. The rca seems to plentiful. If only there were a prophet of these to guide me...
Here ya go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1MP-6C8G-VT...nd-black-plate-Amplitrex-tested-/202012976996

This is where Bill, Sam(?) and I got ours; others, too, perhaps. Shipping was insanely fast; 2 days, maybe 3. Well worth the $15 shipping fee.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #14,351 of 23,494
Along with 14 other syllables.
Thanks Prophet. I think those will go great with the zmf vibro. I may even try them in the dac. After I consult Dr Poon .
What about those meatball rcas? Anyone? I love their 5670s. Split the diff between the TS and GE to me. Not quite as midcentric as the TS not quite as airy as the GE. But then again I usually use them with the TS in the dac. Also use their 5814a in the rogue.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #14,352 of 23,494
During the day off I worked a few things bugging me. The ground noise on the 6sn7s in the lyr. Restacked all connectors in a different order. Problem solved. 3 hrs later, I could hear some floor noise from the amp. Not pervasive but audible when music was not happening. Normal ? Is it the 600ma heater current? It is a lyr v1.

The Lyr1 does have a slightly higher noise floor than the Lyr2. AC heaters vs DC heaters, Schiit claims this benefit is due to the DC heaters.

How serious is it? At my normal listening level, turning the signal off, I hear virtually no background noise, and I can go a bit higher on the volume pot, higher than I could tolerate, and still hear no noise, or very, very little. I actually tried to measure the 'noise' level, it's so low, it barely registers at one decibel, maybe two. Granted just the typical SPL phone app, but you get the idea of scale involved. So no, you should not get any level of noise that detracts from the playback. For example, with a good recording of an orchestral performance, the background sound of the hall, or the recording equipment, measures 5 or 6 decibels above my own room level which is a 'quiet' 45 dB.

Is it the 600mA heater? In a word, NO. And the answer is still no with 900mA, 1.5A, 3A, or 5A heaters. But, realistically, some tubes do require some time to come to quiet operating temperature. Yes, it could be your particular tubes, or anything else in the setup, including the power as TK mentioned. Whether it's one channel, or both channels, should give a clue.
Trying to give you another reference point here because I don't think you would raise the question unless it really was an issue, hope you can track it down.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #14,353 of 23,494
4 more sets of tubes for sale and I am down to 14 pair 6DJ8 variants and 12 pair 396A, 2C51, 5670, 6N3PE variants. Selling tubes I would of never considered selling before. Still burning in these new variants. Telefunken, PW, my prized Mullards etc. Good stuff.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #14,354 of 23,494
Well if my first impressions hold up, there's not a whole lot for me to add to Sammy's eloquent description of the Tung Sol 6c8g's. We do seem to hear and like a lot of the same things. Now keep in mind my tubes had a grand total of about 7 hours on them when I listened last night. They haven't even begun to open up. But as Master Bob, Prophet Tony and SamSam the Preacher Man have already noted, it was apparent to me after listening to the first song that these are true monsters. Gatekeepers of the Vortex. The vast space of the soundstage is really hard to describe...but impossible to forget once you hear it. And you would think that the massive size would in a way distance you from the music...but it somehow brings the music closer. If you like to inspect certain instruments individually within songs like I do, these tubes offer the best vantage point I've heard yet. All you have to do is dial in the volume and each guitar, piano, drum or voice become believably and resonantly REAL. I am on that freaking volume knob like I'm piloting the Space Shuttle during re-entry. These bad boys take volume like no other...and pay you back in spades. And with that special 6N3P-E/6SN7GTB/6C8G chocolatey smoothness. Closest thing to live music I've heard on headphones yet. Seems like I'm saying that every other week lately. But what the hell, I guess that's life in the VORTEX. I ain't complainin'.

New tube description: GotV. : )
Most importantly, as you noted, the music is LARGER and the price is SMALLER!
Joking aside, getting closer to live music is the quest, good to hear a little more of the actual Wood, Metal, String and Wind in the Music.
Back to the Shuttle...

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #14,355 of 23,494
Noise from the amp is very light. It starts after at least 2hrs after I turn on the amp. I noticed at 3 hrs between songs. Only with 6sn7s. I ththink it may be in part insecure connections. The risers don't let the big adapters sit flush. 1/8" exposed posts.
I ordered both the ts tubes and the adapters. So much for prudence and enjoying what I have. Sammy and grizzlybeast can sell me too easily. I may never get that soundsmith cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back