Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #14,297 of 23,493
yay got my ken rads aswell. its really wiggly with 2 socket savers on and the adapter, it also made really wierd sound, the tube, which went away after a while, didnt hear a thing with headphones on. Pretty bad noises when turning up the volume tho.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #14,298 of 23,493
Been so damn busy and haven't had a chance to update you guys.

Folks. All I can say is "TUNG-SOL 6C8G!"

I've spent this whole week rolling like a mad man. No tube in my arsenal comes close to this tube. It's a 2c51 on roids. I'll post a more detailed comparison later after work.

Obviously the ravings of a madman. My TS6c8g’s go on the burner tonite. This lunacy must not continue !!!

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #14,300 of 23,493
Would rather sell on here TBH, and give head fier`s real good prices, kinda like giving back to the community. Might have some more in my sig, Looking to keep about 12 pair of the 6922 variants.

Exactly. It’s all about family here...especially those seeking treatment (see Sammy).

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #14,301 of 23,493
yay got my ken rads aswell. its really wiggly with 2 socket savers on and the adapter, it also made really wierd sound, the tube, which went away after a while, didnt hear a thing with headphones on. Pretty bad noises when turning up the volume tho.

To make for a more stable socket extension use O-Rings:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-920#post-13714237

Tube noise: Most, or all, tube amps will have some noise when you turn the volume full open, but at listening levels, and some degree beyond, there should be no noise, especially with an amp like the Lyr2, which has DC heaters. Sometimes, with new tubes, there might be a very low level hiss/hum until the tube warms up, or until it burns for a few hours, anything beyond that is a bad tube and you should not accept it.
Although, by your description, I'm not sure what the noise is if it wasn't through the headphones.
Where did you purchase the tubes?

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #14,302 of 23,493
Been so damn busy and haven't had a chance to update you guys.

Folks. All I can say is "TUNG-SOL 6C8G!"

I've spent this whole week rolling like a mad man. No tube in my arsenal comes close to this tube. It's a 2c51 on roids. I'll post a more detailed comparison later after work.

Preaching to the choir... Again. : )
Joking. But you will have to roll all the brands now, can't just leave it at the Tung Sol.

These are the black glass TS 6C8Gs from the eBay seller in Mumbai?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #14,303 of 23,493
Yeah I think Sammy and I got that seller's last 2 matched pairs. Seriously, can't wait to hear them
after his initial take and your and Tony's long-standing glowing reviews. Just got my 6c8g adapters yesterday.

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #14,304 of 23,493
To make for a more stable socket extension use O-Rings:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-920#post-13714237

Tube noise: Most, or all, tube amps will have some noise when you turn the volume full open, but at listening levels, and some degree beyond, there should be no noise, especially with an amp like the Lyr2, which has DC heaters. Sometimes, with new tubes, there might be a very low level hiss/hum until the tube warms up, or until it burns for a few hours, anything beyond that is a bad tube and you should not accept it.
Although, by your description, I'm not sure what the noise is if it wasn't through the headphones.
Where did you purchase the tubes?

it was "glinging" noise, like 2 glasses touching together, for a a while, it went away. No hisses or hummes, dead black, only pretty bad noises when turning the volume knob, dunno how to describe, no harm for listening whatsoever so its all good!

LyHYA0u.jpg

remember your magnesium kids

XvwXADa.jpg

was from this guy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-TV-...Plate-Dual-Triode-VT-163-Tubes-/152712408342?

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #14,305 of 23,493
Y'all are killing me with another set of adapters. I'll wait for sammys stepping off the deep end sales pitch before delving into this venture . Tony has me intrigued with his snippet.
After a year of so many storms and another looking straight at me, well money gets tight and I have so many new toys to play with.
As far as the brotherhood ...bless you all and your principles

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #14,306 of 23,493
So the adapter for the 6c8g connects to the 6sn7 adapter? Which connects to the dbl socket savers. Anything else I should know when I decide to go hunting?

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #14,308 of 23,493
Yes, that's correct, what Bill said and linked:
6C8G/6F8G TO ECC88/6922

Folks here have the Tung Sol/ Ken Rad/Marconi 6C8G.
6C8G and 6F8G have the same pinout, so the adapter is the same for both.

(And if that's clear, we can add just a little confusion by saying you can use either one, 6C8G or 6F8G.
Because, you have the Lyr1 which can handle both 300mA (6C8G) and 600mA (6F8G) heaters.)

So the Tung Sol 6C8G is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1MP-6C8G-VT...d-black-plate-Amplitrex-tested-/202012976996?

Ken Rad is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-6C8G-JA...SN7-6SL7-Sub-Test-100-100-DATA-/253181911975?
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-TV-...Plate-Dual-Triode-VT-163-Tubes-/202000261702?
This seller has sold his pairs, he will post more.
And Tony has another brand, Marconi (Canadian), but I'm not sure he liked that one.

Edit: LOL Can't get the size to be normal! But you can still read it...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #14,309 of 23,493
So the adapter for the 6c8g connects to the 6sn7 adapter? Which connects to the dbl socket savers. Anything else I should know when I decide to go hunting?
What Bill said. Another, slightly more expensive(?) adapter to get.

I got a pair of National Union (probably RCA) 6C8Gs earlier this week, rolled them last night. Where the TS were very meaty right out of the gate, evening out nicely past 100 hours, though still meaty, the NUs are airy and detailed. Only a few hours on them at this point, so they will run over the weekend, and I'll listen when I can. They were basically NIB, and tested just above NOS, same numbers for all triodes. The seller probably still has a few pairs. You can find him via

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Date-Matchi...es-Tested-New-On-Calibrated-TV-7/332286750212

So yeah, at those prices, and having invested in the adapters, it's probably worth trying other brands. I have no idea when they were made, as there isn't much out there on NU date codes. Mine say "IC" (pretty sure that's an "eye", though could be a one) on both bases. Different codes on the glass ("OO" and "PI").

Just to add, my "Canadian" (probably) RCAs (Bob calls them Marconi; fair enough) were a bit wonky. I need to re-roll them to see if that will help. Could just be a bum tube.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back