Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 26, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #14,191 of 23,494
That's the high-end version, yes. No complaints here, and they stand by their product.

Assuming you're just getting them to "save your sockets" and make rolling the standard Lyr/Lyr 2 tube types easier, you only need one pair. If you're planning on rolling non-standard types (6C8G and/or 6SN7 (Lyr 1 only) that require a much wider adapter, you'd need two pair of socket savers just to get above the level of the top of the Lyr chassis. If all that sounds like gobbledegook, just ignore it and get one pair of savers.

Nah, not gobbledegook at all, I get it. I appreciate your feedback and help. I figured not to go cheap and if I'm going to do it right, do it right the first time!

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #14,193 of 23,494
Dynamic is something I am looking for, and as I primarily use the HD650's with the Lyr 2, the relatively small sound stage is something I am used to. Will most likely get the Elear, the price is right for me, and if something doesn't sound right, the dealer I am looking at has a hassle-free return policy. If price was no object, I would have a lot more to think about lol but at $699, seems there isn't anything at this price-point comparable in performance. Other options would be the HE-560 and Beyerdynamic T1.2, and perhaps the original HD800, but me likey the bass :)

If you like the HD650 presentation, I think you will like the Elear much more! Big step above the 650. Also beautiful construction, fit and finish.
Agree, $699 is a fantastic price for that headphone.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #14,194 of 23,494
I have issues with socket savor. It gives the "tick tick" sound, it's been like this since when I get the socket savor.
I tried everything deoxit, and alcohol to clean.....HOWEver, without the socket savor or converter no sound....
So, somehow socket savor or converter has something to do with it! I tried it without it, It gave me deadly silence!

Schiit gear don't have problem. Now, my issue is converter without that the converter I can't roll other tubes like 2c51 or 6sn7...etc...

i'm just talking today,,,,little buzz..

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #14,195 of 23,494
He560 used for $500 easy to find. Maybe even with upgraded cable. That's if ur stateside of course.

TK, what keeps bringing you back to the WE. Is it the liquid sound? Or the laid back high end?

I haven't seen a hd800s for under $1200. I felt like an ass when I paid $800 for the Omni. But, I only recently started thinking about new hps. It's been 2 years. All others I had upgraded or moved on within 6 months. I still have many of mine around but they see little head time. Sadly. An open dynamic is what I'm looking at now. The pressure of my favorite hps can be bothersome. But the sound is so good.
The richness, 3 D, level of detail for such a warm tube, never heard anything like it, better than all the other 6922 tubes I got. Really incredible to my ears, having the CBS 5670 in my dac and the level of detail is incredible.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #14,196 of 23,494
Got the 6S7N adapters yesterday and tried out Bob's Sylvania Silver Dome 6S7NGTB's.
Bottom line first impressions...I liked them but for reasons that I wouldn't usually think make sense...at least for what I've always been drawn to. Not detail monsters, they seem to focus more on the bottom end than the top...and they initially seemed pretty wooly and diffused down there, not really well-defined. Flatter presentation across the spectrum but that, I think, ends up being what makes them special. Once my head somewhat adjusted to the sound I went from being much less engaged than I have been with the TS's to being almost hypnotized by them. The flatness and less detail seemed to filter out a lot of noise that can get in the way, creating a blackness and separation between instruments that I've never heard before. Maybe this is why people can like a headphone like the Senn 650's. It kind of simplified things and made the main instruments and notes really stand alone. New experience for me and the longer I listened the more I was drawn in.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #14,197 of 23,494
Got the 6S7N adapters yesterday and tried out Bob's Sylvania Silver Dome 6S7NGTB's.
Bottom line first impressions...I liked them but for reasons that I wouldn't usually think make sense...at least for what I've always been drawn to. Not detail monsters, they seem to focus more on the bottom end than the top...and they initially seemed pretty wooly and diffused down there, not really well-defined. Flatter presentation across the spectrum but that, I think, ends up being what makes them special. Once my head somewhat adjusted to the sound I went from being much less engaged than I have been with the TS's to being almost hypnotized by them. The flatness and less detail seemed to filter out a lot of noise that can get in the way, creating a blackness and separation between instruments that I've never heard before. Maybe this is why people can like a headphone like the Senn 650's. It kind of simplified things and made the main instruments and notes really stand alone. New experience for me and the longer I listened the more I was drawn in.
Excellent description. That's what I mean when I say staging and imaging, esp. with the 6SN7GTs. You should try to find some Ken-Rads.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #14,198 of 23,494
Excellent description. That's what I mean when I say staging and imaging, esp. with the 6SN7GTs. You should try to find some Ken-Rads.

Well I have a pair of Tung Sol 6SN7GTB's on the way. I'm very interested now to hear them.
On the 6C8G front, I already have '43 Ken Rads in and am waiting for '45 Tung Sol round black plates.
Waiting on the 6C8G adapters.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #14,200 of 23,494
I passed on the cbs because I haven't given all the other 5670s a good run yet. I may regret it later but for now I'm gonna listen to those I have. Now to go get blind drunk in the middle of the day. Work.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #14,202 of 23,494
2C51's? If so you will forget about the fee when you hear the midrange.

yep these are the ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/151621028745 shipped last, arrived 1st :D adapters to come hopefully sometime next week, cant wait!!

Spotted HD800S 1 year old used, for 900€ now im tempted for that too :p

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #14,203 of 23,494
Well I have a pair of Tung Sol 6SN7GTB's on the way. I'm very interested now to hear them.
On the 6C8G front, I already have '43 Ken Rads in and am waiting for '45 Tung Sol round black plates.
Waiting on the 6C8G adapters.
I'm curious to hear your impression of the TS 6SN7-GTBs. I have a pair ('60s, IIRC, with the halo getter) and wasn't blown away, esp. compared to any of my Ken-Rads, which are a couple decades older. But it's been a while, so I should re-roll them, the Sylvanias, and the GE shorties, which I'm not sure I ever rolled. Got all caught up in the li'l guys.

I'm hoping the TS 6C8Gs will be solid, unlike those "RCA"s, and live up to expectation... bias baked right in :wink:

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #14,204 of 23,494
DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNN ... those TS 6C8Gs from India ordered over the weekend are arriving today... two days early. Them donkeys got wings! $15 for FedEx now seems like a real bargain, esp. considering it cost me about 6x that to ship something weighing less from the US to Germany using FedEx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back