Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 26, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #14,176 of 23,494
Any of you gentleman have experience using the Focal Elear on the Lyr 2? Currently in the process of selling multiple mid-fi phones to buy my first hifi. Elear is a strong choice, especially because it is on sale, read a great deal on their bass/dynamics, thinking the Elear with a pair of WE JW 2C51's might rock my world :)

Elear sounds fine on the Lyr2, really good if you like the Elear. Had it for a week.
But no, Elear is not that great with bass,and a bit lacking in soundstage, but those are relative comments.
Depends on what your expectations/preferences are. Many people love the close-to-the-head presentation.
Has a dip at 3-4kHz, that was the major issue for me, however it does respond to EQ.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #14,177 of 23,494
Never tried elear. I had the focal classic and i miss its dynamics. Beautifully voiced.utimately it was a bit too congested . I gave them to a friend for saving my guitar from a flood while I was outta town.
I may end up getting an elear as well. I love the planars but they do lose a bit in dynamics. May try to get a used zmf Atticus or Eikon instead. Money is a bit of an issue.
Check reviews for several options including Bills 800s

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #14,178 of 23,494
Never tried elear. I had the focal classic and i miss its dynamics. Beautifully voiced.utimately it was a bit too congested . I gave them to a friend for saving my guitar from a flood while I was outta town.
I may end up getting an elear as well. I love the planars but they do lose a bit in dynamics. May try to get a used zmf Atticus or Eikon instead. Money is a bit of an issue.
Check reviews for several options including Bills 800s

Plus, ZMF will be introducing the Auteur.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #14,179 of 23,494
I'd highly recommend my 800S but not if you're looking for bass slam. More for soundstage, imaging and detail. More bass supposedly than the original 800's but probably not what it sounds like you're looking for.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #14,180 of 23,494
I'm so out of the loop. Haven't heard about that. They're so expensive and I've already got 2 pairs. If I could take a test drive .... anyway, they scale very well. When I roll my tubes in the dac or amp, the zmfs respond more to me than my hifiman or akg or senns or German maestro. Good or bad. So the WE aren't for the vibro and the russkies weren't working for the Omni . Other way is great. Ts seem to work for everything with a slight brightness with the akg. Still nice.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #14,181 of 23,494
Good thing about the Senns is you can try em out at Best Buy . Underamped but still, you get a taste. They do have a great stage. The old 800 was thin in midbass like the akg to me. I've heard it was addressed . Just so pricey!

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #14,183 of 23,494
Dynamic is something I am looking for, and as I primarily use the HD650's with the Lyr 2, the relatively small sound stage is something I am used to. Will most likely get the Elear, the price is right for me, and if something doesn't sound right, the dealer I am looking at has a hassle-free return policy. If price was no object, I would have a lot more to think about lol but at $699, seems there isn't anything at this price-point comparable in performance. Other options would be the HE-560 and Beyerdynamic T1.2, and perhaps the original HD800, but me likey the bass :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #14,185 of 23,494
He560 used for $500 easy to find. Maybe even with upgraded cable. That's if ur stateside of course.

TK, what keeps bringing you back to the WE. Is it the liquid sound? Or the laid back high end?

I haven't seen a hd800s for under $1200. I felt like an ass when I paid $800 for the Omni. But, I only recently started thinking about new hps. It's been 2 years. All others I had upgraded or moved on within 6 months. I still have many of mine around but they see little head time. Sadly. An open dynamic is what I'm looking at now. The pressure of my favorite hps can be bothersome. But the sound is so good.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #14,186 of 23,494
I've been searching for hours and probably doing it all wrong. This is all foreign to me. Socket saver. Can anyone recommend a socket saver for me please?

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #14,187 of 23,494
I've been searching for hours and probably doing it all wrong. This is all foreign to me. Socket saver. Can anyone recommend a socket saver for me please?
Tubemonger has the high-end version, and having two pair, I recommend them. But that can be a lot of $$$. Check eBay for the less expensive Chinese versions. Other Head-Fiers have, in the past, said those are fine. I knew early on I'd be a high roller, so I went the Tubemonger route.

So, you want the 6DJ8/ECC88 (et al.) type.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #14,188 of 23,494
@ThurstonX Something like this?
Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver©-1960s NOS British McMurdo Phenolic socket on Top plus Vibration Reduction Base - 9-pin B9A NOVAL -( NOT MADE IN CHINA) - NEW VERSION

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #14,189 of 23,494
Finally, and I mean finally, got my 6SN7 adapters and just plugged in rnros's Sylvania 6SN7GTB Silver Domes.
The jury's still way out on the sound but they sure look cooler than schiit...(they're the ones in the middle)

slyvania1.jpg

slyvania2.jpg

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #14,190 of 23,494
@ThurstonX Something like this?
Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver©-1960s NOS British McMurdo Phenolic socket on Top plus Vibration Reduction Base - 9-pin B9A NOVAL -( NOT MADE IN CHINA) - NEW VERSION

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.
That's the high-end version, yes. No complaints here, and they stand by their product.

Assuming you're just getting them to "save your sockets" and make rolling the standard Lyr/Lyr 2 tube types easier, you only need one pair. If you're planning on rolling non-standard types (6C8G and/or 6SN7 (Lyr 1 only) that require a much wider adapter, you'd need two pair of socket savers just to get above the level of the top of the Lyr chassis. If all that sounds like gobbledegook, just ignore it and get one pair of savers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back