Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #14,131 of 23,494
RVC was a manufacturer, a joint venture of Canadian Marconi and Canadian GE. Are we talking about rebranded RCA tubes?
Quite possibly, since RCA bought Marconi around 1919, from what I read. There is very little to go on, as the only things on the tubes are "Made For Canadian Marconi Company" on the base (and on the boxes), and 6C8G on the glass. The boxes, of course, read "Marconi" "RVC" and "Radiotron", all of which were still used by RCA to market in Canada... again, from what I read. I didn't do too much research, but I was happy to get the original boxes, which are red and black, not unlike an old RCA 6SN7GT box I have, which is also branded "Radiotron".

Indeed, the seller called them RCA in the listing, which makes sense. Perhaps they were made in Canada. Again, didn't do enough research to find out if RCA kept Canadian factories, but it seems possible, even likely.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #14,132 of 23,494
I'm just glad I beat you freaks to a pair of the Tung-Sol 6C8Gs from India, and the pair I wanted to boot. Pricey, but I couldn't find another source, and he only had two. Bob, you get the other one?

Picked up a pair of Marconi RVC (so, RCA) Canadian 6C8Gs. Just rolled, so too early, but they have that characteristic staging and imaging. They do lack the slam of li'l guys, but I enjoy their presentation.

I think Billy snagged that last pair of TS 6c8g from india. Lol. I'm curious if he'll break up that 100 piece lot and sell more pairs.

Guilty as charged. They just looked so purdy, sittin' there all military like and all.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #14,133 of 23,494
Quite possibly, since RCA bought Marconi around 1919, from what I read. There is very little to go on, as the only things on the tubes are "Made For Canadian Marconi Company" on the base (and on the boxes), and 6C8G on the glass. The boxes, of course, read "Marconi" "RVC" and "Radiotron", all of which were still used by RCA to market in Canada... again, from what I read. I didn't do too much research, but I was happy to get the original boxes, which are red and black, not unlike an old RCA 6SN7GT box I have, which is also branded "Radiotron".
RCA bought American Marconi. This is why the company was established. (The Navy, national interests, …)

If Canadian-made, there'd quite likely be CANADA next to the octagon.

Indeed, the seller called them RCA in the listing, which makes sense. Perhaps they were made in Canada. Again, didn't do enough research to find out if RCA kept Canadian factories, but it seems possible, even likely.

Turns out that there was an RCA receiving tube plant in Canada! I found out this by chance today. The plant was in Cowansville, Quebec. It is difficult to find any information about this plant. It seems to have been rather short-lived. But, yes, it is indeed possible that those tubes were made by RCA in Canada!

The plant opened in 1961, probably too late for 6C8Gs.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #14,134 of 23,494
Guilty as charged. They just looked so purdy, sittin' there all military like and all.
Simply irresistible. Love that "black glass"; have a couple Ken-Rad 6SN7s like that :) Next up are some National Union 6C8Gs. They're plentiful... for now, and not too expensive. I blame Bob :wink:

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #14,135 of 23,494
RCA bought American Marconi. This is why the company was established. (The Navy, national interests, …)

There ya go. So, US tubes "made for" a Canadian company. That's about par for the course in that business/this hobby. As long as they sound good, it's all good :D

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #14,137 of 23,494

So most likely this is a USA made RCA later sold in Canada, in the Marconi/RVC box.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #14,139 of 23,494
I'm just glad I beat you freaks to a pair of the Tung-Sol 6C8Gs from India, and the pair I wanted to boot. Pricey, but I couldn't find another source, and he only had two. Bob, you get the other one?

Picked up a pair of Marconi RVC (so, RCA) Canadian 6C8Gs. Just rolled, so too early, but they have that characteristic staging and imaging. They do lack the slam of li'l guys, but I enjoy their presentation.

No, that wasn't me... Bill had to have those, since he already had the T-shirt.
Seriously though, been watching those for a while, he seems to keep matching and listing pairs, so I think we'll see more.
Very reasonable price, if you consider $20/tube by the hundred, $60/matched pair is only $20 extra for the work time.
If asked, I think that seller will accommodate any reasonable request.

He also has the black glass Ken Rad 6SN7GTs you like, $198/pair, I think those are staggered flat plates.

Edit: On the RVC 6C8Gs, thanks for the early impressions, will look to hear more as the tube burns.
That's what I loved about the '43 KR 6C8Gs, they didn't give up anything at the low end, while adding the octal dimension, and some special treble quality. So, competent and comparable at the low end, and trying to split hairs, I found myself asking: OK, which one sounds more 'natural'? Answer: Too close to call... Both. : ) (The comparison was to the RFL 6N3P-E.)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #14,140 of 23,494
Hey guys, this is a VERY long thread and if you tell me to just search and we ain't gonna spoon feed you, I get it. But man, this is a long thread :triportsad:
I have a LYR 2 coming in a few days and have zero clue about tubes. I'm jumping in blindly....probably just like you guys did initially.

To start off, I'm looking for some descent tubes to pair predominantly with my HE 400i, HD 650 and M1060. I have a bunch of high efficient HP's I'd test drive them with too, but mostly these 3. I have a mimby and listen mostly to progressive metal, instrumental progressive metal, hard rock, progressive jazz and progressive rock. I love bass that doesn't bleed into the mids or highs but it's got to be tight and fast as much as possible. Of course the mids and treble need to be there.

Any suggestions would most definitely be very cool. I know it's all about my ears, but I haven't a clue so at this point everything is fair game.
Oh, I'd like to spend....say $35-$50 per tube just starting out.

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #14,141 of 23,494
At this point in time I'd definitely say grab a pair of adapters and your preference of the different 2c51 tubes ( Western Electric 396a's, Tung Sol 2c51's, CBS 2c51's, et al) and have yourself a good time on the cheap.

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #14,142 of 23,494
First get these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191636111735

Then start with these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151621028745

There are many other 5670/396a/2c51 variants. They're far cheaper than all "elite" 6922, and are far better imo. Ymmv.
Hey guys, this is a VERY long thread and if you tell me to just search and we ain't gonna spoon feed you, I get it. But man, this is a long thread :triportsad:
I have a LYR 2 coming in a few days and have zero clue about tubes. I'm jumping in blindly....probably just like you guys did initially.

To start off, I'm looking for some descent tubes to pair predominantly with my HE 400i, HD 650 and M1060. I have a bunch of high efficient HP's I'd test drive them with too, but mostly these 3. I have a mimby and listen mostly to progressive metal, instrumental progressive metal, hard rock, progressive jazz and progressive rock. I love bass that doesn't bleed into the mids or highs but it's got to be tight and fast as much as possible. Of course the mids and treble need to be there.

Any suggestions would most definitely be very cool. I know it's all about my ears, but I haven't a clue so at this point everything is fair game.
Oh, I'd like to spend....say $35-$50 per tube just starting out.

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #14,145 of 23,494
So most likely this is a USA made RCA later sold in Canada, in the Marconi/RVC box.

Yes, seems that way. Especially if the tube has RCA on it.
FWIW, if we're talking about my "Canadian" 6C8Gs, nowhere does it say RCA, with what I wrote above the only printing anywhere on the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back