Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 24, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #14,116 of 23,494
I found something interesting between these two TS tubes. The one on the left is my original tube that I got in the beginning. The one on the right is from TK. I also have 4 more that are still in their package from the $34.99 deal, that I haven't looked at yet.

You'll notice in the pic , that the getter posts are on opposite sides of each other. Maybe @rnros can chime in on if this is normal, or if I possibly have a fluke tube. I've been burning in the tube on the right from TK. I'm around the 75 hour mark and it has pulled ahead of my original in SQ. Seems more dimensional, with more float/air in the imaging. I'm not sure if the getter setup has anything to do with the SQ. It could very well be that the specs are better on TK's tube.

I'm curious if anyone else that has a few of these tubes, can find one with the getters opposite of each other and if they hear a difference between the two. The difference between my two in the pic isn't dramatic. But it's definitely noticeable when swapping between the two.

The getter post and ring only serve to hold the getter material until it is flashed onto the glass, after that it has no use.
You typically see getter assemblies vary, whether it be the full design, or just minor variations in the components. In this case, attached to opposite ends of the shield. BTW, the pair I have also have different getter post locations.
The difference in sound, my guess, is most likely due to tolerance variations, either in the components, or the full assembly. Or material variances, which I think less likely from closely dated units.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #14,117 of 23,494
Here's what I recently discovered bro. NOS TS-2c51. $7 a pop. No that's not a typo. Lol.
Scroll down and check the pic.
http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/0-5/TubesListed-2.html

Edit: Damn. I just noticed it says JTL on the tube

Yeah, Sam grammpas were a little slicker and not as bright as Mr Cross tubes. The latter are far more powerful so it's gonna take a while to burn in. I've still got one grammpa that I use with an rca sq getter and that combo is my favorite for extended sessions in the dac. I think mrCross tubes will be better in a while but the swan song of these older TS is right in my wheel house.

I'm on the look out for used TS like those.
Yeah, Sam grammpas were a little slicker and not as bright as Mr Cross tubes. The latter are far more powerful so it's gonna take a while to burn in. I've still got one grammpa that I use with an rca sq getter and that combo is my favorite for extended sessions in the dac. I think mrCross tubes will be better in a while but the swan song of these older TS is right in my wheel house.

I'm on the look out for used TS like those.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #14,118 of 23,494
Rnros and Sam, I think grammpas are just old pulls with a lot of use and mr cross' tubes are virtually unused. It's the same DNA but one is an old shoe the other needs a lot of break in. That's my take anyway. Mr cross tubes are the 34.99 ones. They got a lot of pop , way more than the other TS. Also not exhibiting the finesse and a bit brighter with a more closed stage due to the power of the presentation . I could be wrong. But the more I burn em the more the gap closes .

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #14,119 of 23,494
I think you are right. The one pair I have from Bill, did develop and refine with burn. They did show their general character right away, I was impressed, but with time they did improve. I think we'll see more and more of these available as interest grows. If folks are buying them, sellers notice.

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #14,121 of 23,494
I'm interested too! Just to have a warehouse stored TS at a stupid price ,to try in my cockeyed murderous amp. I got some newer GEs for mega cheap to bait the trap first. For now, ima enjoy the russkies in there and continue to simmer the TS in the dac before going back to the WE for a bit. This has gotta stop. I need a soundsmith for my turntable. Just keep pecking away at that dough

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #14,123 of 23,494
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #14,125 of 23,494
I guess I should start a juggling act with these tubes. Lol.
I totally forgot that I bid on the pair from the same seller bro.
:beerchug:

Screenshot_2017-09-24-08-19-42.png

I had 6. Just added 3 more with these JTL Tung Sols...only bidder (thanks TK !!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311959883662?ul_noapp=true

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #14,126 of 23,494
I found something interesting between these two TS tubes. The one on the left is my original tube that I got in the beginning. The one on the right is from TK. I also have 4 more that are still in their package from the $34.99 deal, that I haven't looked at yet.

You'll notice in the pic , that the getter posts are on opposite sides of each other. Maybe @rnros can chime in on if this is normal, or if I possibly have a fluke tube. I've been burning in the tube on the right from TK. I'm around the 75 hour mark and it has pulled ahead of my original in SQ. Seems more dimensional, with more float/air in the imaging. I'm not sure if the getter setup has anything to do with the SQ. It could very well be that the specs are better on TK's tube.

I'm curious if anyone else that has a few of these tubes, can find one with the getters opposite of each other and if they hear a difference between the two. The difference between my two in the pic isn't dramatic. But it's definitely noticeable when swapping between the two.
Glad you like that Tung Sol, my grampa pair did not come into its own til around the 100 hour mark or so. That set is at 156 hours now and sounds absolutely fantastic.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #14,128 of 23,494
I'm just glad I beat you freaks to a pair of the Tung-Sol 6C8Gs from India, and the pair I wanted to boot. Pricey, but I couldn't find another source, and he only had two. Bob, you get the other one?

Picked up a pair of Marconi RVC (so, RCA) Canadian 6C8Gs. Just rolled, so too early, but they have that characteristic staging and imaging. They do lack the slam of li'l guys, but I enjoy their presentation.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #14,129 of 23,494
I think Billy snagged that last pair of TS 6c8g from india. Lol. I'm curious if he'll break up that 100 piece lot and sell more pairs.
I'm just glad I beat you freaks to a pair of the Tung-Sol 6C8Gs from India, and the pair I wanted to boot. Pricey, but I couldn't find another source, and he only had two. Bob, you get the other one?

Picked up a pair of Marconi RVC (so, RCA) Canadian 6C8Gs. Just rolled, so too early, but they have that characteristic staging and imaging. They do lack the slam of li'l guys, but I enjoy their presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back