Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #62 of 23,494
Quote:
so...anyone knows why there are ambient but strong static like pressurized noise?

Which tubes are you having the trouble with?  Have you switched the tubes to see if the problem follows the tube?
Are the tubes burned in?

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #63 of 23,494
Since it's a new thread, I suppose I'll post my list of favorites:

[size=x-small]1. Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes 1968[/size]
[size=x-small]2. RTC E188CC circa 1967[/size]
[size=x-small]3. Amperex USN 6922 D Getter 1960[/size]
[size=x-small]4. Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy 1966[/size]
[size=x-small]5. Amperex USN-CEP 6922 '60's[/size]

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #65 of 23,494
A preference list as it does not mean much to others. It would be nice to add at least what kind of sound they give, the type of sound you like and especially what is the headphones used ...
cool.gif

(Edit : Ok for headphones I just saw the signing
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #66 of 23,494
Quote:

Which tubes are you having the trouble with?  Have you switched the tubes to see if the problem follows the tube?
Are the tubes burned in?

i switched, yes, the noise still persist, it went from mainly left to mainly right, the tubes mentioned are these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121138463531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

the seller claim he has only tested them for sound, but they are couple years old and obivously originated from brent jesse( he suggested he bought it there, I don't know that as a fact so they can be more than second handed)

there are old written scores on some other items' listing pages and obviously not teared away that looks like brent jesses's handwriting( i assume, brent if you are reading let me know i can post pic, or i mean you can see it on the listings that I bought along with these Brimars with no scores
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121138504280?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121138475585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

I am still asking him to confirm the hours he put on them. he's been evasive though, attitude kinda sucks.

UPDATE: he got back to me, said he only tested them once for  1 hour.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #67 of 23,494
ATTENTION: anyone knows a legit way to handle and clean tubes without damaging the printing job(silk screen is the professional term:) 
I doubt any paper or silk or microfibre product without soap or some kind of chemical solvent can clear away fingerprints or years of oil and grime completely and effectively IF indeed oil on the surface of tubes  can OVERHEAT and shorten the LIFESPAN of tubes

Regards and thanks ahead.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #68 of 23,494
Quote:
ATTENTION: anyone knows a legit way to handle and clean tubes without damaging the printing job(silk screen is the professional term:) 
I doubt any paper or silk or microfibre product without soap or some kind of chemical solvent can clear away fingerprints or years of oil and grime completely and effectively IF indeed oil on the surface of tubes  can OVERHEAT and shorten the LIFESPAN of tubes

Regards and thanks ahead.

I've never worried at all about fingerprints causing overheating.  I'm personally much more concerned about the silk screening, but to be honest that doesn't concern me too much either, I know what tubes I have.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #69 of 23,494
Quote:
i switched, yes, the noise still persist, it went from mainly left to mainly right, the tubes mentioned are these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121138463531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

the seller claim he has only tested them for sound, but they are couple years old and obivously originated from brent jesse( he suggested he bought it there, I don't know that as a fact so they can be more than second handed)

there are old written scores on some other items' listing pages and obviously not teared away that looks like brent jesses's handwriting( i assume, brent if you are reading let me know i can post pic, or i mean you can see it on the listings that I bought along with these Brimars with no scores
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121138504280?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121138475585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

I am still asking him to confirm the hours he put on them. he's been evasive though, attitude kinda sucks.

UPDATE: he got back to me, said he only tested them once for  1 hour.

If that's the case the noise may improve with burn in.  You say it's consistent, doesn't vary a lot?

One of the tricks people talking about is to flick a finger on a tube while it's hot to dislodge deposits.  Not sure if this is only supposed to work with some problems, and I'm also not too sure about how hard to do the flicking.

I know Sceleratus did it on one of his tubes and it helped.  Perhaps he'll be back and can provide some insight.

I take it you like the sound of these tubes enough to continue to try to make them work?

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #70 of 23,494
Quote:

If that's the case the noise may improve with burn in.  You say it's consistent, doesn't vary a lot?

One of the tricks people talking about is to flick a finger on a tube while it's hot to dislodge deposits.  Not sure if this is only supposed to work with some problems, and I'm also not too sure about how hard to do the flicking.

I know Sceleratus did it on one of his tubes and it helped.  Perhaps he'll be back and can provide some insight.

I take it you like the sound of these tubes enough to continue to try to make them work?

i hate to confess, I am no golden ear and I can't honestly find more than 10% obvious difference among all my tubes from 20 dollar a pair to 300 bucks a pair., any suggestion for this crappy ear symptom?

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #72 of 23,494
Quote:
i hate to confess, I am no golden ear and I can't honestly find more than 10% obvious difference among all my tubes from 20 dollar a pair to 300 bucks a pair., any suggestion for this crappy ear symptom?

No man, that's the way it REALLY is.  There are small differences and that's it really.  Some will make them out to be more than they are, but it's just not a HUGE thing.  I was kind of being funny in the other thread when I asked someone who said they had a $1000 invested in tubes "if you listened to the worst tubes for a few weeks straight, then put in the best one, is there a $1000 difference in the sound?"  That's why i am buying some known good tubes for my Lyr and then just enjoying the music!

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #74 of 23,494
Quote:
A preference list as it does not mean much to others. It would be nice to add at least what kind of sound they give, the type of sound you like and especially what is the headphones used ...
cool.gif

(Edit : Ok for headphones I just saw the signing
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Most of these impressions can be found by ploughing through the old thread. After a more thorough initial review, people then tend to mention their favorites, when asked, rather than repeating their earlier comments.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #75 of 23,494
Most of these impressions can be found by ploughing through the old thread. After a more thorough initial review, people then tend to mention their favorites, when asked, rather than repeating their earlier comments.

Agreed,

Even though the old thread is long, it's worth working your way through it. Lots of very good information and ray enough to skim over less informative posts.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back