Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #6,196 of 23,494

I found what I think is an adequate deal on the Telefunken E88CC/6922 platinum matched pair (is this close to the Valvo E88CC's or is it better since it is more expensive and hear they were hard to find), and how would these compare as well to a new a pair of Gold Lion ECC83 / B759's I think the Gold Lion are new stock if I'm not mistaken so there not vintage as the others? how do think these would sound?

Thanks.

Hmmm, kind of apples and oranges with the Tele E88CC's and the Holland Valvo or Philips E88CC's (there are many Valvo E88CC's which are German made as well...to me a touch  harsher through the upper mids and treble compared to the Hollands).  They are both very nice tubes...just depends  on the sound signature you ultimately prefer.  The Tele E88CC's I had...think they were '63's...had a very delicate beauty and musicality  about them.  Incredible for acoustic music to me.  Somewhat lacking in impact for rock and harder electronic music.  Very balanced and 'pure' presentation.  The Holland E88CC's to me provide a very lush and prominent midrange...very musical and a warmer overall presentation than the Tele's.  And even with their great mids, to me the bass and treble don't suffer as a result.
You can't go wrong with either tube in my opinion.
Gold Lions I know nothing about.  ECC83/B759's I'm not familiar with either.  If you're using a Lyr or Lyr2 you might want to check compatibility.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6,197 of 23,494

Hmmm, kind of apples and oranges with the Tele E88CC's and the Holland Valvo or Philips E88CC's (there are many Valvo E88CC's which are German made as well...to me a touch  harsher through the upper mids and treble compared to the Hollands).  They are both very nice tubes...just depends  on the sound signature you ultimately prefer.  The Tele E88CC's I had...think they were '63's...had a very delicate beauty and musicality  about them.  Incredible for acoustic music to me.  Somewhat lacking in impact for rock and harder electronic music.  Very balanced and 'pure' presentation.  The Holland E88CC's to me provide a very lush and prominent midrange...very musical and a warmer overall presentation than the Tele's.  And even with their great mids, to me the bass and treble don't suffer as a result.
You can't go wrong with either tube in my opinion.
Gold Lions I know nothing about.  ECC83/B759's I'm not familiar with either.  If you're using a Lyr or Lyr2 you might want to check compatibility.

Thanks, just found out though that the deal i thought was realy good for the Tele E88CC is only for a single unit not a pair, and that puts its may out of my price range into the price range of the lyr 2 it self almost so that is out of the question for know, I'll ahve to jump on a pair of Holland E88CC's if the price is good, thank you.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #6,200 of 23,494
  Oh thanks, saved me a headache and a ton of wasted time.
Thank you.

You should read and bookmark this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #6,202 of 23,494
  I have been searching all over google for something like that, a guide to help me get started.
Thank you so much for the link ThurstonX.
smily_headphones1.gif

My pleasure.  All credit goes to @sfo1972 for taking on the task and putting it all together.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6,203 of 23,494
I have been searching all over google for something like that, a guide to help me get started.

My pleasure.  All credit goes to @sfo1972 for taking on the task and putting it all together.

Still reading the thread and doing some more research but so far it helped a ton I understand much more about tubes, thanks again for sharing.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #6,205 of 23,494
Three cheers for @sfo1972!  He's working on a bigger thread to organize the different factory & production date codes.
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

+1 thanks @sfo1972!

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #6,206 of 23,494
Apr 9, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #6,208 of 23,494

smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the mention buddy - A big part of that thread's knowledge is a group effort, so it definitely is not "all" the credit goes to me, a lot of the people, including you, in the credit portion of the thread are to be thanked. I am really happy people are finding it useful. Cheers ThurstonX.

Still reading the thread and doing some more research but so far it helped a ton I understand much more about tubes, thanks again for sharing.

There is quite a bit more coming in the next installment around the double triodes function, data sheets (tech specs), and some illustrative pics to highlight key components referred to a lot on this thread such as Grey vs. Silver shields, getters, etc.

Three cheers for @sfo1972!  He's working on a bigger thread to organize the different factory & production date codes.
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Thanks a lot rb2013, this means a lot!

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

+1 thanks @sfo1972!

Yes sir, sure thing - Let's hope I can tame these factory and production codes. Its proving to be quite a beast, but you knew that already 
wink.gif

+1 thanks @sfo1972!

+2 @sfo1972, That thread is going to help Head-Fi tube rollers for years to come...

Thanks bro - I hope so as well.

I hope to have the next installment out by next weekend guys. Stay on the lookout.

Cheers

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #6,209 of 23,494
  Thank you for the mention buddy - A big part of that thread's knowledge is a group effort, so it definitely is not "all" the credit goes to me, a lot of the people, including you, in the credit portion of the thread are to be thanked. I am really happy people are finding it useful. Cheers ThurstonX.

There is quite a bit more coming in the next installment around the double triodes function, data sheets (tech specs), and some illustrative pics to highlight key components referred to a lot on this thread such as Grey vs. Silver shields, getters, etc.

Yes sir, sure thing - Let's hope I can tame these factory and production codes. Its proving to be quite a beast, but you knew that already 
wink.gif

I hope to have the next installment out by next weekend guys. Stay on the lookout.

Cheers

Thanks sfo1972 for such a great guide really helped me out cant wait for the next installment.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,210 of 23,494

wink.gif

Cheers

Thanks sfo1972 for such a great guide really helped me out cant wait for the next installment.

No worries buddy, again - I am glad that you liked it. The manufacturers and date codes are quite a big job and attempting to build a comprehensive list in one go is doomed to fail. I am taking the 80-20 approach and hope to shotgun the 80% by focusing on the most commonly seen, rather than the exceptions that cause deviations from the standard, if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back