Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #6,182 of 23,494

I would look for the OG (Orange Globe) Amperex over the BBs.  IMO the Herleen Hollands are better then the BBs - but more expensive as well. 

You might be best off looking for the OGs.  Does anybody know if 'Mercedesman' still sell them on Ebay?

Thanks so much by the way rb2013, I was going to simply stay with my stock tubes on my Lyr2 when I get it, your review changed my mind and really made me want to try tube rolling, and gave me an idea of the difference it can make.
So, thank you.

I think then I'll get your Herleen Holland tubes if there still in stock by the time I get my next setup, otherwise I'll go with the OG Amperex.
Thank you very much.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #6,183 of 23,494

Thanks so much by the way rb2013, I was going to simply stay with my stock tubes on my Lyr2 when I get it, your review changed my mind and really made me want to try tube rolling, and gave me an idea of the difference it can make.
So, thank you.

I think then I'll get your Herleen Holland tubes if there still in stock by the time I get my next setup, otherwise I'll go with the OG Amperex.
Thank you very much.

Good luck and Happy Rolling
beyersmile.png

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #6,184 of 23,494

I would look for the OG (Orange Globe) Amperex over the BBs.  IMO the Herleen Hollands are better then the BBs - but more expensive as well. 

You might be best off looking for the OGs.  Does anybody know if 'Mercedesman' still sell them on Ebay?

I purchased some '70 Amperex OGs from mercedesman a couple of months ago. Prompt shipment, good packaging and the tubes were in excellent condition, exactly as described in the listing. They sound quite nice. I can recommend him highly as a source of tubes. I just looked at his listings though and he doesn't appear to have any OGs in stock at the moment.

-John

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #6,185 of 23,494
  I purchased some '70 Amperex OGs from mercedesman a couple of months ago. Prompt shipment, good packaging and the tubes were in excellent condition, exactly as described in the listing. They sound quite nice. I can recommend him highly as a source of tubes. I just looked at his listings though and he doesn't appear to have any OGs in stock at the moment.

-John

Thanks, Jbarnhardt I'll check the seller out.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #6,186 of 23,494

-John

Thanks, Jbarnhardt I'll check the seller out.

I just finished racking up 210+ burn-in hours on my '75 Voskhod grays. They sound pure with very fine musical flow. Listening to them now on my new LCD-X playing some Miles Davis. Just wow. Beautiful.

Next on the burn-in circuit are my HGs!

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #6,190 of 23,494
Originally Posted by rb2013

I would look for the OG (Orange Globe) Amperex over the BBs. IMO the Herleen Hollands are better then the BBs

In my experience with the Amperex Holland tubes, I'd highly recommend opting for the Phillips Miniwatt or Holland made Valvo E88CC's over either the OG's or Bugle Boys. To me much better midrange for sure and just a more musical and refined sound. The price difference isn't substantially more either. If you're patient and keep your eyes opened you can find matched pairs of the E88CC's for $75 or under. Look for eBay auctions as opposed to BIN's.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #6,192 of 23,494
I now have my virgin HGs in my Lyr 2 and am listening to my LCD-X. Great Googly Moogly!!! This is screwing amazing!

The soundstage is expansive. The instrument separation and detail is pristine. The imaging is sublime. 

This is what I've always wanted to hear from my system. Unbelievable!

Thanks, Bob! You rock, man!

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #6,193 of 23,494

wink.gif
The OG and BB Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88s were also made by Philips in Heerlen...

Originally Posted by rb2013

I would look for the OG (Orange Globe) Amperex over the BBs. IMO the Herleen Hollands are better then the BBs

In my experience with the Amperex Holland tubes, I'd highly recommend opting for the Phillips Miniwatt or Holland made Valvo E88CC's over either the OG's or Bugle Boys. To me much better midrange for sure and just a more musical and refined sound. The price difference isn't substantially more either. If you're patient and keep your eyes opened you can find matched pairs of the E88CC's for $75 or under. Look for eBay auctions as opposed to BIN's.

Thank's billerb1.

I found what I think is an adequate deal on the Telefunken E88CC/6922 platinum matched pair (is this close to the Valvo E88CC's or is it better since it is more expensive and hear they were hard to find), and how would these compare as well to a new a pair of Gold Lion ECC83 / B759's I think the Gold Lion are new stock if I'm not mistaken so there not vintage as the others? how do think these would sound?

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #6,194 of 23,494
Wanted to give a heads up to all the members who've mentioned the eBay tube scammer(Limon01) and his many other accounts. This guy hasn't been caught yet because of the many aliases, that he uses online, including the name on the return address.
His run of fraud , is about to come to a screeching halt. A little social engineering , skills, goes a long way. Lol

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #6,195 of 23,494
You should check the for sale , section on here. Tubes are under the "Cables,tweaks" section. There's always good deals there and you know you're dealing with some good people from here.

Thank's billerb1.

[COLOR=000000]I found what I think is an adequate deal on the Telefunken E88CC/6922 platinum matched pair (is this close to the Valvo E88CC's or is it better since it is more expensive and hear they were hard to find)[/COLOR], and how would these compare as well to a new a pair of Gold Lion ECC83 / B759's I think the Gold Lion are new stock if I'm not mistaken so there not vintage as the others? how do think these would sound?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back