Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #3,796 of 23,494
It says made in the USA on my tube though?

You can be suspicious of printed labels.  I posted earlier about some 6ES8s (AKA, ECC189) I got.  They were labeled by Arcturus, but as was pointed out by the Lyr Tube Rolling Brain Trust, they are actually ECC88s from Holland, with two different size "halo getters."  And then one died.  Go figure.

So there's an old US company lying about what they were selling.  That's why factory codes are vital to identifying a tube, if they're visible.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,799 of 23,494

Surprisingly despite being counterfeit, they sound better than the stock GE tubes.  This makes me wonder what real amperex's sound like.

there's one way to find out !  
wink_face.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3,801 of 23,494
Hi guys,

I tried lyr1 with stock tube using lcd x and lcd 2f
Sound is dull and veiled for me
Dirty and backround is not clean

Which tube i should change to make it sound better?
I read a lot (this thread and the old thread) and still know nothing about rolling tube...
I cant try a lot tubes, so i just can ask your suggestion, guys..

Because it is hard to search tube in my town, thats why i hope i can buy the good tube online (ebay maybe)
And shipping time is quite long with bad immigration procces in my ciuntry :frowning2:

Help me, guys... :)

I have musical fidelity vdac and centrance dac :)
And i use lyr to combine with lcd x and lcd 2f

Sorry for my bad english

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #3,802 of 23,494
Hi guys,

I tried lyr1 with stock tube using lcd x and lcd 2f
Sound is dull and veiled for me
Dirty and backround is not clean

Which tube i should change to make it sound better?
I read a lot (this thread and the old thread) and still know nothing about rolling tube...
I cant try a lot tubes, so i just can ask your suggestion, guys..

Because it is hard to search tube in my town, thats why i hope i can buy the good tube online (ebay maybe)
And shipping time is quite long with bad immigration procces in my ciuntry :frowning2:

Help me, guys... :)

I have musical fidelity vdac and centrance dac :)
And i use lyr to combine with lcd x and lcd 2f

Sorry for my bad english

I would get gold lions from Upscaleaudio, if you are on a budget. If you have the money get yourself some Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes or some good Russian tubes. The stock tubes will sou n d a lot better after 200 hours of burn in. Moreover most tubes sound better after burn in, so make sure you burn in your tubes, to maximize there effect upon the overall sound signature.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3,804 of 23,494
Hi there, I am thinking of purchasing the Lyr 2 to amp my Q701s because I am unhappy with the low end that my Audio GD NFB 15 produces on these cans.

Could anyone tell me if the JJ ECC88 tubes which come with the Lyr 2 will cut it with my Q701s, since  I am looking for more weight and depth in my music, specifically Classical music? Or should I seek different tubes to go with the Lyr 2 to achieve this?

I read that the Amperex Fat Bottle tubes (I think this means Russian-made) produce a really satisfying low end on the Q701s. Any advice or suggestions? 

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3,805 of 23,494
I am relatively new too the Group, Rob, Thurston, Oskari, are Pro's, but I have had great luck with Amperex Bugle Boys, Rob's Russian 6N23P's, the stock tubes are a bit bright, brittle, lacking in body and bass IMO. Welcome to tube rolling, my condolences to your wallet! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #3,806 of 23,494
the 7308's arrived here yesterday absolutely worth the price in my book

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,807 of 23,494
I would get gold lions from Upscaleaudio, if you are on a budget. If you have the money get yourself some Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes or some good Russian tubes. The stock tubes will sou n d a lot better after 200 hours of burn in. Moreover most tubes sound better after burn in, so make sure you burn in your tubes, to maximize there effect upon the overall sound signature.

Thank you!

Yes i will burn it. And i always heat it first before instart uaing it

What is some good russian tube? Can you give me the name or link? I am considering to buy it :)

Anyway, is the rolling tube lyr is the same with alo pan am?

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #3,808 of 23,494
  the 7308's arrived here yesterday absolutely worth the price in my book

Jay, how about a little review.  I have a 2 pair of USA made Amperex 7308 PQ's, 1965 O Getters like yours and 1960 D Getters.  Really like them on my WA2.  Nice wide soundstage, upfront presentation with a little more of a "raw" (in a good way !) sound than my Philips Miniwatt 188CC's.  Very "live" sounding. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3,809 of 23,494

Jay, how about a little review.  I have a 2 pair of USA made Amperex 7308 PQ's, 1965 O Getters like yours and 1960 D Getters.  Really like them on my WA2.  Nice wide soundstage, upfront presentation with a little more of a "raw" (in a good way !) sound than my Philips Miniwatt 188CC's.  Very "live" sounding. 

haven't had them very long, but the very first thing i thought was how "live" or real the sound was. clear, 3d , fleshed out sound , texture.
if a tube could be "high end" i'd have to say this might be one ! now i can fully appreciate the term "holy grail"
more will be revealed as i get to spend more time with them.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3,810 of 23,494
It's time to play Name That Tube!

I love these CEis.  Always something different, since they were just buying and re-labeling.  I got a quad 6N23Ps a few weeks ago.  Pretty sure they were from this seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIO-3-Tube-7308-CEI-FOR-E188CC-E88cc-CCA-/311157054861

Interesting trio.  Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back