Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #3,706 of 23,494

+1, exactly my point of view, I just wouldn't be able to write it down as well as Thurston did :)

I have a son who swears his apple earbuds and iphone are all the audio he'll ever need.  And has never bought a single cd, track, or download.  It's Spotify streaming all the way, everyday.

Hey whatever works for you guys is great!  Happy listening!  
o2smile.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,707 of 23,494
Bob, your rec on the Gustard U12 certainly has my interest. I appreciate your obsession to detail and the fine points of what is better, this is what we depend on from you. The XMOS chip has been on my radar for a while, however it seems to be quickly upgrading in various incarnations( a good thing), so I have stood back and waited. While reading all of the recent posts RE USB recently the question came to mind, did Schiit consider the XMOS chip for the Gen 2 Bifrost board? I just PM'd Jason regarding same and he said "yes they did, and did not use it", no details, just that answer. Now I am curious why? Anyway, I am very happy with my Uber Bifrost w/Gen2. I know you are thrilled with the Gustard, everyone is happy. Wish Jason would have gone into more detail regarding their choice of chip.  

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #3,708 of 23,494
  Bob, your rec on the Gustard U12 certainly has my interest. I appreciate your obsession to detail and the fine points of what is better, this is what we depend on from you. The XMOS chip has been on my radar for a while, however it seems to be quickly upgrading in various incarnations( a good thing), so I have stood back and waited. While reading all of the recent posts RE USB recently the question came to mind, did Schiit consider the XMOS chip for the Gen 2 Bifrost board? I just PM'd Jason regarding same and he said "yes they did, and did not use it", no details, just that answer. Now I am curious why? Anyway, I am very happy with my Uber Bifrost w/Gen2. I know you are thrilled with the Gustard, everyone is happy. Wish Jason would have gone into more detail regarding their choice of chip.  

Thanks for the kind words.  And very good question.  It may be, and I'm only guessing, they chose early on to implement the C-Media CM6631 chip - despite it's issues (no 176K sampling) - so when C-Media released the CM6631A version it was easier to use this with their board design for the GEN2.  In response to ThurstonX's question on the issues with the newer CM6631A clocking I mentioned- I put up a detailed post on the Gustard U12 thread.  It looks like Schiit has found a way around that problem - with a relay based DAC reset on clock changes.

“It’s a pain in the ass,” Mike said. “We’ll need a microprocessor to switch the clocks, we have to reset the DAC when sample rates change, we’ll need a hard relay mute, stuff like that.” 

The XMOS has gone through several iterations - and the newest design is truly sota. - Native 32 bit 384Khz 8 X-core XMOS chip. Multi-thread. USB class 2.0 Async.  And Gustard's implementation looks excellent: Separate 0.1ppm TCXO clocks, Temperature Controlled High Precision Active Crystal. One for each clocking ratio. Independent Linear Power Supply. Sealing Torodial Transformer, Multiple Sets of Multi-Level Regulation. Four outputs: Coaxial (RCA), Optical Fiber, AES/EBU, IIS (HDMI port).  DSD support to 128. PCM to 384K. 

I'm not saying the Schiit USB GEN2 board is not good - it is.  So was my previous ref -  the Musiland USB 3.0(with a Aqvox linear usb power supply).  Which was better then the USB interfaces I had before like the Audiophileo 2, M2tech Evo (with custom made linear ps), John Kenny MkI and MkII,etc..

The thing that has shocked me - is how much better the Gustard U12 is.  I mean not a subtle difference!  The clarity and transparency has taken a big leap forward -the bass has added a half octave lower and is better defined. Sound stage bigger and more holography.  Across the board better in every way.  Why?  How could this be? Bits are Bits right?  I think it comes down to the power supply.  The Gustard uses phenomenal filtering and is the first USB interface I have heard that uses AC power with a toroidal ps transformer.  Not to mention the excellent clocking using TCXO 0.1ppm separate clocks.  It's like some hidden distortion has been lifted - the sound is much more natural - musical - sweet - I don't really know how to discribe it properly.  And other folks on the U12 thread have posted similar - including a fellow with a Peachtree that uses an on board C-Media CM6631A like the GEN 2.

But back to why the XMOS vs the C-Media - my litmus test is the $1800 Berkley Audio Design Alpha USB interface.  This is a no holes barred, all out, money is no object effort to build the best USB interface on the planet.  And it is fantastic!  They chose the XMOS. 'Nuff said.

Here is a USB interface shootout:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

The Berkley Alpha came out the winner.  Do I have $1800 for a USB interface?  Not even close.  But if you can get close to that level of performance for $155 - well they got my money - twice (I bought two) and maybe a third for modding.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3,709 of 23,494
  Here is a USB interface shootout:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

I am using the Audio-gd Digital Interface and find it to be a very nice improvement over straight USB. And so I am disappointed to see that it wasn't included in this review....  :frowning2:

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3,710 of 23,494

I am using the Audio-gd Digital Interface and find it to be a very nice improvement over straight USB. And so I am disappointed to see that it wasn't included in this review....  :frowning2:

Audio-gd makes some great gear!  I've read a lot about their R2R PCM1704 based DACs.  One of the reasons I started on my R2r PCM1704 Lite DAC60 mod project - were they spot on.  Very, very nice.  Rich natural tone.

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3,711 of 23,494
Alright guys, I got a new pair of tubes from that guy I spoke about.

Two Amperex tubes that say "MADE IN USA" on the front.

They have a small stamp that says "F2F" I believe. It's somewhat faded but still somewhat visible.

My last amperex tube had two sets of "ID letters" how come this only has one set?

Both tested really strong in the store, above 90/90 so that's good!

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #3,712 of 23,494
  Alright guys, I got a new pair of tubes from that guy I spoke about.

Two Amperex tubes that say "MADE IN USA" on the front.

They have a small stamp that says "F2F" I believe. It's somewhat faded but still somewhat visible.

My last amperex tube had two sets of "ID letters" how come this only has one set?

Both tested really strong in the store, above 90/90 so that's good!

Hard to say for sure why there is only one line of characters... Perhaps they have been rubbed off.. or perhaps the code stamping mechanism wasn't working properly the day there were manufactured... Your guess would be as good as mine. :)

Could the first character be a star instead of an "F"?

In that case, it would be

* = New York
2 = 1962 or perhaps 1972... what color is the paint? White paint is typical on early 1960's production....
F= February

Otherwise, I have no idea what F2F could be. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,713 of 23,494

Hard to say for sure why there is only one line of characters... Perhaps they have been rubbed off.. or perhaps the code stamping mechanism wasn't working properly the day there were manufactured... Your guess would be as good as mine. :)

Could the first character be a star instead of an "F"?

In that case, it would be

* = New York
2 = 1962 or perhaps 1972... what color is the paint? White paint is typical on early 1960's production....
F= February

Otherwise, I have no idea what F2F could be. 

It's white text yeah.  On the side it has a yellow-ish-gold color ink that says "6D8J ECC88"  then what looks like F2F.  But.... I can't really tell what the first letter is. 

I'll take them out of my Lyr and look again.   I REALLY need to get socket savers soon.  The sockets are a tiny bit loose and it worries me

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,715 of 23,494
To my knowledge, Philips did not manufacture Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 in the USA. Only 6922/E88CC and 7308/E188CC.

From what I can see, the construction certainly looks like a Philips tube, so perhaps they lied and it was really manufactured in Europe... lol. On the other hand, if so, it should have a Philips tube code etched on the side, close the bottom. If there is no such code, then I have no idea.... Perhaps Oskari can shed some light on this. :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3,716 of 23,494
  To my knowledge, Philips did not manufacture Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 in the USA. Only 6922/E88CC and 7308/E188CC.

From what I can see, the construction certainly looks like a Philips tube, so perhaps they lied and it was really manufactured in Europe... lol. On the other hand, if so, it should have a Philips tube code etched on the side, close the bottom. If there is no such code, then I have no idea.... Perhaps Oskari can shed some light on this. :)

I'm confused... where it says "ECC88" the E looks an awful lot like a 6...  

But yeah, the code on the side definitely says F2F, underneathe the "6DJ8/ECC88"

I took a flashlight, and shined it and rotated the tubes around in my hands trying to find any other text and I couldn't find any.

The only thing I found was a gold-ish residue, but it's worn off.  Not sure if it's just "gunk" on the tube, or if it was something significant. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #3,717 of 23,494
  @gibosi it's definitely an F.

I'll try to get a picture maybe that will help.

Does that say 6CC88??  Sure looks like it.  If so, more weirdness ensues... maybe someone drunk, ignorant or both on the printer 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #3,719 of 23,494
  yeah it says 6cc88 LOL....

What

You've got a little collectors item for $10.  I'm not saying it's at Upside-Down-Plane-on-the-Stamp value, but still interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back