Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 8, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #21,196 of 23,494
@nwavesailor forgot to mention in the above post that this thread though it is labeled the Lyr thread a lot of us here have other amps such as myself with the MJ2, in other words this would be the thread I would spend my time reading as there are really good people here with lots of knowledge and some really good recommendations, also this thread is fun as people will joke around etc.

May 8, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #21,200 of 23,494
Sorry if I'm a little slow. My bride is in hospice and I'm looking to audio as an escape and for a diversion from losing the love of my life.

Is AuditoryCanvas an audio site?

Really sorry to hear that! Hopefully this can be somewhat of a diversion for you!

AuditoryCanvas is actually one of the members here on this fourm.
try this link it should take you to page 1241 of this thread (Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers thread)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-1241

Hope this helps!

May 8, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #21,202 of 23,494
Thanks @jb77 !

Audio and HeadFi HAS been a nice diversion. I appreciate the link and homework assignment. YIKES..........1414 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem, glad I could help!
Glad to hear this has been a nice diversion for you!
You don’t necessarily need to read the whole thread but if you do it’s a good read, honestly I would start from the page I linked and read up to the current page we are on, again this thread has a lot of great people and great information!

May 8, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #21,203 of 23,494
Thanks @jb77 !

Audio and HeadFi HAS been a nice diversion. I appreciate the link and homework assignment. YIKES..........1414 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the thread. A lot of the posts are off topic, equally entertaining, but means you can quite comfortably skim through a lot of the pages. Definitely worth the read. I did the same when I first joined the thread. Learned a ton of knowledge, gained some great wisdom, and made some great friends and fellow tube addicts along the way. My wallet isn't so thankful however...

I've tried a lot more 12a*7 variants since writing that post that @jb77 referred to, so if you want to send me a private message at any point with your sound preferences etc, I can make some recommendations of ones to try, and also send you some to listen to so you can get a better idea.

If you find tubes you're interested in online, just post a link here on the thread and ask for anyone's opinion on the tube, price, test results etc if you need to. This thread and the people on it have saved me from many a bad purchase along my journey.

I too recommend the Schiit mj2. It's a great sounding, very flexible amp that's very tolerant of different tube types, and also does an astounding job of autobiasing and levelling, so even tubes that may not be a perfect match in test results can still sound perfect in it. It also plays well with a huge range of headphones, and if you run it balanced, has more power than you'll probably ever need for most cans.

What DAC are you running?

May 8, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #21,204 of 23,494
Thanks @jb77 !

Welcome to the thread. A lot of the posts are off topic, equally entertaining, but means you can quite comfortably skim through a lot of the pages. Definitely worth the read. I did the same when I first joined the thread. Learned a ton of knowledge, gained some great wisdom, and made some great friends and fellow tube addicts along the way. My wallet isn't so thankful however...

Definitely second that!

I've tried a lot more 12a*7 variants since writing that post that @jb77 referred to, so if you want to send me a private message at any point with your sound preferences etc, I can make some recommendations of ones to try, and also send you some to listen to so you can get a better idea.

@nwavesailor the fourm member @AuditoryCanvas has far more knowledge than I do regarding different tubes etc. he is another great person to talk with regarding your tube journey!

If you find tubes you're interested in online, just post a link here on the thread and ask for anyone's opinion on the tube, price, test results etc if you need to. This thread and the people on it have saved me from many a bad purchase along my journey.

AC is absolutely correct, any tubes you find and have questions on, post the information here and “we” the members will try and help out!

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #21,205 of 23,494
Thanks @jb77 for pointing me to another option in the same $$$ ballpark as the LP in the MJ2. I have not purchased the TP yet and could try the MJ2 with the Schiit 15 day trial as well as the Amazon 30 day with the TP and see how they sound with the Ether 2!

GREAT.............Now I need to read the MJ2 forums!!!
I agree with the others on the MJ2 being more versatile then the LP, the noise warning was for the LP mostly with the WE tubes. The MJ2 also can be used as a preamp too. The LP cannot. With the price being in the same ball park, I would choose the MJ2 over the LP.

May 8, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #21,206 of 23,494
Sorry if I'm a little slow. My bride is in hospice and I'm looking to audio as an escape and for a diversion from losing the love of my life.

Is AuditoryCanvas an audio site?
Truly sorry bro, I myself read the entire thread. Was only around 500 pages then though. You indeed can skim past the comedy related posts which is around 93% of my own posts. We post a lot of tube related posts, but we like to post a bit for laughs as well. Thankfully none of my posts fit that criteria. Pretty much contradicted myself here. Welcome to the thread bro. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

May 8, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #21,207 of 23,494
I tried to get a reply to this on the Liquid Platinum forum. Why so little love for the lowly 6DJ8 tube?

I have plenty of 6DJ8 and very few 6922 or 7308.

The 6922 family is not my favorite to be sure, but if it's the only option I actually prefer a good 6DJ8 (like an early 60's Telefunken) to most of the 6922's or 7308's I've heard. They just sound more natural and organic to me. Of course, I'm pretty strange so take that FWIW. Biggest issue with 6DJ8's is the high percentage that are noisy and/or microphonic which is much less of an issue with 6922's. Then there's this adapter thing which turns tube rolling from a deep, seemingly endless chasm into a gigantic black hole from which there is no escape. :slight_smile:

May 8, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #21,208 of 23,494
Just finished up my AA(adapters anonymous) meeting. There's no hope for me! I'm relapsing rn!
:beerchug:

I quit going to those meetings. Everyone would opine about their most recent relapse with the new adapter they just bought, and pretty soon I was buying more adapters than before I joined. I'm just happy I'm not an alcoholic and never joined that AA. :worried:

May 8, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #21,209 of 23,494
Truly sorry bro, I myself read the entire thread. Was only around 500 pages then though. You indeed can skim past the comedy related posts which is around 93% of my own posts. We post a lot of tube related posts, but we like to post a bit for laughs as well. Thankfully none of my posts fit that criteria. Pretty much contradicted myself here. Welcome to the thread bro. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

LOL!

If anybody needs direction to a forum or two where the posts are mostly on-topic but are also regularly sidetracked with personal attacks, belittling, trolling, and "you're an idiot" rants, let me know. I'll try and remember the links because I haven't visited them in a long time. The humor (and the lack of ugliness) is why I enjoy Head-Fi so much and just hope it stays this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back