Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #21,181 of 23,494
May 7, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #21,182 of 23,494
Thanks. Have plenty of 12AU7's and their brothers from other mothers...was just trying to warn away anyone unaware from those nasty Philips. Quite a few for sale on Ebay right now, and of course the ad copy on several of them makes them sound like the second coming. And the second vomit always hurts worse than the first one. :hushed:
Buy them all! Erase the print and repaint. :)

May 7, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #21,183 of 23,494
….but I have figured out who is the mole yet, do you know? He is off my Christmas card list when I figure out who he is.

If I did, I would have just sent a PM expressing my pity that his life was so miserable he had nothing better to do than whine about someone else's innocuous post. But I'd also have tried to help by giving him the direct link to the 10-year old's forum...

May 7, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #21,184 of 23,494
May 7, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #21,185 of 23,494
If I did, I would have just sent a PM expressing my pity that his life was so miserable he had nothing better to do than whine about someone else's innocuous post. But I'd also have tried to help by giving him the direct link to the 10-year old's forum...
10 years old, that eliminates all my suspects. Now I have to frame somebody.

May 7, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #21,186 of 23,494
Now I have to frame somebody.

Well, in that case I vote for AC. How better to feign innocence than send in a complaint on yourself?

:laughing::laughing:

May 7, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #21,189 of 23,494
I tried to get a reply to this on the Liquid Platinum forum. Why so little love for the lowly 6DJ8 tube?

I have plenty of 6DJ8 and very few 6922 or 7308.
Generally speaking the 6DJ8 doesn't sound as good as the other variants. I tried a lot of different variants and adapter tubes are usually better than the 6922 variants. Talking 2C51, 6N3P, ECC81, ECC82 and all the variants of what I just mentioned.

May 8, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #21,191 of 23,494
Generally speaking the 6DJ8 doesn't sound as good as the other variants. I tried a lot of different variants and adapter tubes are usually better than the 6922 variants. Talking 2C51, 6N3P, ECC81, ECC82 and all the variants of what I just mentioned.

I agree that the 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 are not my favorites either. I use 6F8-G, 6J5, C3G, CK5694 and others all with adapters. Just snagged a pair of 1950's WE 596A. I am heading the warnings of Dr. Cavelli and trying not to go TOO far off the operating point of the 6922 tubes for options to use in the LP.

I hope the WE 396A are quiet and sound as good as some suggest!

May 8, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #21,192 of 23,494
I agree that the 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 are not my favorites either. I use 6F8-G, 6J5, C3G, CK5694 and others all with adapters. Just snagged a pair of 1950's WE 596A. I am heading the warnings of Dr. Cavelli and trying not to go TOO far off the operating point of the 6922 tubes for options to use in the LP.

TBH he shot me down when someone asked if they can use PCC88 in the LP and I said yes because it is a 7 volt version of ECC88 and runs happily at 6.3 volts, after that and some users not liking me using adapter tubes in the LP Think you met 1 of them yesterday. I stopped going to my thread and the general LP thread. I am about 2,000 hours in the LP vast majority of that time with ECC82. The WE sound fantastic but are prone to noise because IMO the amplification factor is a bit higher than 6922 tubes and coupled with the high gain, can be a problem. Low testing ECC82 are very prone to noise too.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #21,193 of 23,494

TBH he shot me down when someone asked if they can use PCC88 in the LP and I said yes because it is a 7 volt version of ECC88 and runs happily at 6.3 volts, after that and some users not liking me using adapter tubes in the LP Think you met 1 of them yesterday. I stopped going to my thread and the general LP thread. I am about 2,000 hours in the LP vast majority of that time with ECC82. The WE sound fantastic but are prone to noise because IMO the amplification factor is a bit higher than 6922 tubes and coupled with the high gain, can be a problem. Low testing ECC82 are very prone to noise too.

@nwavesailor the WE396A’s do sound fantastic in the LP however I went through 3 pairs before I found a “LP quiet” pair and the only reason that happened is the quiet pair used to be TK’s, wish you luck and hopefully the pair you get will work good in your LP, for Cavelli’s “recommendations” as TK stated he really means to only use 6922 variants in the LP I could not believe when he jumped on TK’s case for recommending PCC88/7DJ8 as even retailers like Upscale Audio have the PCC88 in with the 6922 and say they will work with basically all 6922 amps! Yes I do understand what the amp is “rated” for but still! @TK16 is correct in everything he said above another thing I can confirm is good testing ECC82’s can sound great in the LP! For running other tubes in your LP I have about a 100hrs less then TK on my LP with about 70% of that time running adapter tubes like the ECC82’s with no problem whatsoever! But I understand the “risk” and choose to use the adapter tubes as to me they sound better! In the end I also purchased a Schiit Mjolnir 2 (MJ2) as it has much better flexibility than the LP with adapter tubes, I am really glad I bought the MJ2 as it is a awesome amp! Alright been rambling on long enough and BTW welcome to the Schiit Lyr tube rolling thread!

May 8, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #21,194 of 23,494
@nwavesailor the WE396A’s do sound fantastic in the LP however I went through 3 pairs before I found a “LP quiet” pair and the only reason that happened is the quiet pair used to be TK’s, wish you luck and hopefully the pair you get will work good in your LP, for Cavelli’s “recommendations” as TK stated he really means to only use 6922 variants in the LP I could not believe when he jumped on TK’s case for recommending PCC88/7DJ8 as even retailers like Upscale Audio have the PCC88 in with the 6922 and say they will work with basically all 6922 amps! Yes I do understand what the amp is “rated” for but still! @TK16 is correct in everything he said above another thing I can confirm is good testing ECC82’s can sound great in the LP! For running other tubes in your LP I have about a 100hrs less then TK on my LP with about 70% of that time running adapter tubes like the ECC82’s with no problem whatsoever! But I understand the “risk” and choose to use the adapter tubes as to me they sound better! In the end I also purchased a Schiit Mjolnir 2 (MJ2) as it has much better flexibility than the LP with adapter tubes, I am really glad I bought the MJ2 as it is a awesome amp! Alright been rambling on long enough and BTW welcome to the Schiit Lyr tube rolling thread!

Thanks @jb77 for pointing me to another option in the same $$$ ballpark as the LP in the MJ2. I have not purchased the TP yet and could try the MJ2 with the Schiit 15 day trial as well as the Amazon 30 day with the TP and see how they sound with the Ether 2!

GREAT.............Now I need to read the MJ2 forums!!!

May 8, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #21,195 of 23,494
Thanks @jb77 for pointing me to another option in the same $$$ ballpark as the LP in the MJ2. I have not purchased the TP yet and could try the MJ2 with the Schiit 15 day trial as well as the Amazon 30 day with the TP and see how they sound with the Ether 2!

I would do that, or if I had to do it over again I would have just purchased the MJ2, I use it more than my LP as the MJ2 is much more versatile! Sound quality is a side grade, IMHO the LP is a little more 3D sounding but also seems to have slightly harsher highs, less of a difference when Tube rolling, and very little play with the volume level (no gain switch on the LP) Where as the MJ2 is much more flexible, great sound quality, and different tubes make a greater sound difference!

GREAT.............Now I need to read the MJ2 forums!!!

I would actually read this forum! If you would like some good information on what tubes you can and can not use on the MJ2 and some really good recommendations on different tubes for the MJ2, start reading from page 1241 with AuditoryCanvas post 18601

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back