Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,011 of 23,494
The E88CC Telsas arrived today, date marked WW (71' Dec) AZ (72' March). First off a bit of a disappointment when I saw the exact dates didn't match, but being only made 4 months away from each other I figured I might be ok. Luckily, they sound great. I can turn my Lyr up to about 75% without hearing any hiss at all, dead silent. Thats something that I have not yet been able to achieve with any of the amperex tubes I have bought, including PQ tubes. I am very happy with them and can recommend them to anyone looking for a high value solution to their tube rolling addiction. 

Tesla Date Chart:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070824161210/http://www.radiojournal.cz/tab4.htm

May 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,012 of 23,494
  The E88CC Telsas arrived today, date marked WW (71' Jan) AZ (72' March). First off a bit of a disappointment when I saw the exact dates didn't match, but being only made 4 months away from each other...

Wouldn't that mean they are 14 months apart?

May 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,013 of 23,494
  Wouldn't that mean they are 14 months apart?

Maths... pih! 
wink.gif
  If the production methods didn't change, or change much, hopefully they'll work well together.  Am I wrong in thinking that E88CCs/6922s will pair nicely even if they production codes don't match?  Swear I read that somewhere.  Better than ECC88s, anyway.  He seems to like them.

May 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,014 of 23,494
I shall look up the funeral services for tubes. The hum - I've tried different interconnect and no interconnect and the hum is still there. I've also tried a different mains cable. Thank you for your question regarding the channels - I hadn't thought to check. It's more prominent in the right channel. Faint in the left channel.
Are you in the UK? Are you using a transformer, or does Sh**t ship overseas with different voltage settings?

May 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #2,016 of 23,494

Maths... pih! 
wink.gif
  If the production methods didn't change, or change much, hopefully they'll work well together.  Am I wrong in thinking that E88CCs/6922s will pair nicely even if they production codes don't match?  Swear I read that somewhere.  Better than ECC88s, anyway.  He seems to like them.

Guys, I've edited my post above, the WW are actually DEC 71'. I've also included a date chart on the Tesla for anyone who would need it for reference, I will post it below again here, I apologize for the confusion. 

http://web.archive.org/web/20070824161210/http://www.radiojournal.cz/tab4.htm

Upon visual inspection, although this could be deceiving as well, the two tubes appear to have the exact same construction mechanically.

Upon listening to them a little further tonight I can certainly say that the sound stage is not as broad as a few of the amperex I have used. This is minor however to the depth they add to my HD800s. Ive been looking for a pair of tubes that would enhance the thickness of the HD800s, and I think I've finally found a great pair. This injunction with the extremely well balanced HD800s, there is a fullness to the audio that I have never heard before. These tubes are defiantly not the most revealing but have a great musicality to them. They are very fun to listen to. I wont be using them to edit anything but I can definitely see them being my leisure go to tubes. Looking forward to seeing how they perform with my LCD2 tomorrow. I will post my impressions. 

May 20, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,017 of 23,494
I see they ship a 230v version with a UK plug. I wonder if the different transformers in the UK version could have issues with very low impedence hps.

Sorry you had to go looking for the information yourself! Yes. It's time for me to contact Schiit. It's either the Lyr itself or the Lyr/mains interface that is at fault. Thank you so much for your interest. It's time for me to go on an electronics course.

May 20, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #2,018 of 23,494

I have tried the Shure EC4-N IEMs at your suggestion. Same hum. The hum is negligible with HD650 and the HD800, but too pronounced with SR-60i and the RS1i. In all HUMility, I must say that I find this far from HUMorous. As we say in the UK, I have got the HUMp. It is still there when I try the unit without socket savers. I will try it in another house, and then start looking at ground loops. Then maybe exorcism. Or voodoo. Or both.

Or I could mail Schiit.

What a HUMongus amount of puns! But seriously, after the third pun I did a facepalm :p

May 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,019 of 23,494
Sorry you had to go looking for the information yourself! Yes. It's time for me to contact Schiit. It's either the Lyr itself or the Lyr/mains interface that is at fault. Thank you so much for your interest. It's time for me to go on an electronics course.
It could be the very low impedence hps are just amplified at a greater level for the same volume control setting. So the hum that's there becomes more noticeable.

May 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #2,020 of 23,494
May 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,022 of 23,494
My lyr hums as well. As you found its very loud on my ms-1. In my case the hum follows the tube when I rotate sockets and I only have the stock tubes at the moment. Hum is present on LCD and HD 600 but not nearly as loud.

I think its a bad/noisy stock tube in my case.

I wonder if the Lyr uses AC or DC for the heaters... In a different amp, I found that 6DJ8-type tubes, and others as well, became significantly quieter after changing over to DC.

May 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,023 of 23,494
Those 7963 are very cool! Rick swears by them.

I'm very interested in your take on the open vs closed plate comparison.
How do you compare the '75 Gray plate posts to the '75 Gray wire posts? To your other tubes?

Finally got my adapter built so that I can more easily compare the Sylvania sub-miniature 7963. As this tube is considered by some to be the best double triode Sylvania ever made, I decided to first compare it to a 1945 Sylvania 6SN7W. As 6SN7's are not compatible in the Lyr, I suspect that some here do not know much about this tube. However, by most rankings, the Sylvania 6SN7W is considered to be one of the top 4 or 5 6SN7's ever made, and it is my reference 6SN7.

But first, I should say that I am not very good at comparing tubes. My ears are rather old and worn out, and further, I don't have the patience and discipline to be able to tease out and articulate small and subtle differences. That said, I A/B'ed a couple tracks, Diana Krall, 'Devil May Care' on the Live in Paris album, and Alex McMurray, 'One Step Away from the Hole' on the I Will Never Be Alone in This Land album. And I was pleasantly surprised. My impression is that the 7963 sounds very similar to the 6SN7W, and not terribly surprising, it seems to be a tad bit quieter. The bass is detailed and propulsive, the highs are very extended and airy, and the vocals retain what I consider to be the Sylvania "house sound," sweet, smooth and slightly warm and liquid. Moreover, the added quietness enhances transparency, imaging and stage. Of course, I might change my mind over time, but for now, I consider this tube to be as good as any tube I have (600 and counting lol).

I hope someone will try this tube in their Lyr and tell us their their impressions. Every amp is different.... So it could be very, very good... or not....

May 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,024 of 23,494
So I received the voskhod rockets today, not much in markings on them, but the "matched pair" sound very nice. I think they are from the 80s.

Pretty cheap, but they'll work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181391227993?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Looking to pick up some holy grail voskhods soon now. 

They are certainly less fatiguing then the early 70s Telas I received yesterday. Very mellow sound and balanced. They have a very natural sound to them. Great buy anyone looking for a cheep solution to their tube rolling needs. 

May 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,025 of 23,494
Finally got my adapter built so that I can more easily compare the Sylvania sub-miniature 7963. As this tube is considered by some to be the best double triode Sylvania ever made, I decided to first compare it to a 1945 Sylvania 6SN7W. As 6SN7's are not compatible in the Lyr, I suspect that some here do not know much about this tube. However, by most rankings, the Sylvania 6SN7W is considered to be one of the top 4 or 5 6SN7's ever made, and it is my reference 6SN7.

But first, I should say that I am not very good at comparing tubes. My ears are rather old and worn out, and further, I don't have the patience and discipline to be able to tease out and articulate small and subtle differences. That said, I A/B'ed a couple tracks, Diana Krall, 'Devil May Care' on the Live in Paris album, and Alex McMurray, 'One Step Away from the Hole' on the I Will Never Be Alone in This Land album. And I was pleasantly surprised. My impression is that the 7963 sounds very similar to the 6SN7W, and not terribly surprising, it seems to be a tad bit quieter. The bass is detailed and propulsive, the highs are very extended and airy, and the vocals retain what I consider to be the Sylvania "house sound," sweet, smooth and slightly warm and liquid. Moreover, the added quietness enhances transparency, imaging and stage. Of course, I might change my mind over time, but for now, I consider this tube to be as good as any tube I have (600 and counting lol).

I hope someone will try this tube in their Lyr and tell us their their impressions. Every amp is different.... So it could be very, very good... or not....
l had many amps and pres that used the 6sn7, so I had alot of experience with them. Were the 6sn7w USN the tall metal base '40s version? In my experience they were superb! To match those is extraordinary. My favorite was the legendary Tungsol VT-231 Round Plates Oval Micas. These and the Sly Metal bases are very expensive now.

How would you adapt the 7963 for the Lyr? Build adapters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back