Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #19,846 of 23,494
I hear the Heerlen D Getters have a good balance of air and warmth. Looking for a pair myself, so if anyone is willing to sell theirs please PM me :)

Personally I liked the OG/BB warmth but it always urked me how much of the detail got smoothed over as well.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #19,847 of 23,494
Spent the last 2 days revisiting all my remaining 6922 pairs (ten pair in total) to see which I wanted to keep in my collection. 8 were a definite keep and 2 were undecided. The Heerlen CCa PW and D getter Heerlen 6922 were better for me then all the ECC81, E180CC PW Heerlen and possibly the ECC81 Copenhagen. The E88CC Mullard Mitcham were probably comparable to the ECC81 Mitchams. The Brimar CV2492 I like better than the ECC81 Brimar. Really like the Telefunken E188CC. Undecided on the Siemens CCa. Was expecting to keep mych less than 8 pairs.

Have to say I'm pretty surprised at the high 6922 percentage TK. But it is always enlightening to go back and listen to old favorites. You almost always end up remembering exactly what made them special in the first place. Glad the Tele e188CC's made your list...definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #19,848 of 23,494
You guys have gone deep into the 396a/5670 rabbit hole…
Think these are worth a listen: https://www.vivatubes.com/nos-nib-rare-heintz-kaufman-usa-5670-2c51-396a-black-plate-vacuum-tube/

Description is incorrect. Heinz & Kaufman didn't manufacturer any tubes, they used white label tubes from several different manufacturers, both European, and USA. The country of origin on the tube is normally correct though. i.e. I have a pair of E180CC PWs, that say made in Holland, which is correct, as they have the Heerlen date stamp.

I would therefore guess those are either GE, Sylvania, or Raytheon. If they're GE, they're overpriced. If they're black plate Raytheon, I'd say go for it. Just compare the construction against the same tube from those manufacturers, and you should find which one they are.

and FWIW, they don't seem to know very much about a lot of tubes, I had a recent conversation with Dave from Viva via email when I enquired about some 6n3p, and he didn't know much about them, and asked if I had any info he could use, so I spent the time to send him a load of info on manufacturers, years, and construction types that I'd learned, and he didn't bother to say a word back, and then sent a really douchey reply when I called him out days later on not bothering to even say thanks...

Edit, as far as I can find, they didn't produce these types, they did manufacture other types early on apparently.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=9832

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #19,849 of 23,494
You guys have gone deep into the 396a/5670 rabbit hole…
Think these are worth a listen: https://www.vivatubes.com/nos-nib-rare-heintz-kaufman-usa-5670-2c51-396a-black-plate-vacuum-tube/
I have seen these as GE 5670 rebrand with better pics, they had the GE stencil markings, not sure what these are, but if they are GE they are way overpriced and don't sound very good imo. Read somewhere the Gammatron label were rebrand from other manufacturers. I always like to see multiple high resolution photos, not a crappy single blurry when enlarged pic.

Pretty cheap pair of Mullard Blackburn square getter ECC81, right tube 1955 I think.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-12AT7-Mullard-paire-tube-NOS-ECC81/163497805422

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #19,850 of 23,494
Description is incorrect. Heinz & Kaufman didn't manufacturer any tubes, they used white label tubes from several different manufacturers, both European, and USA. The country of origin on the tube is normally correct though. i.e. I have a pair of E180CC PWs, that say made in Holland, which is correct, as they have the Heerlen date stamp.

I would therefore guess those are either GE, Sylvania, or Raytheon. If they're GE, they're overpriced. If they're black plate Raytheon, I'd say go for it. Just compare the construction against the same tube from those manufacturers, and you should find which one they are.

and FWIW, they don't seem to know very much about a lot of tubes, I had a recent conversation with Dave from Viva via email when I enquired about some 6n3p, and he didn't know much about them, and asked if I had any info he could use, so I spent the time to send him a load of info on manufacturers, years, and construction types that I'd learned, and he didn't bother to say a word back, and then sent a really douchey reply when I called him out days later on not bothering to even say thanks...

Edit, as far as I can find, they didn't produce these types, they did manufacture other types early on apparently.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=9832

I have seen these as GE 5670 rebrand with better pics, they had the GE stencil markings, not sure what these are, but if they are GE they are way overpriced and don't sound very good imo. Read somewhere the Gammatron label were rebrand from other manufacturers. I always like to see multiple high resolution photos, not a crappy single blurry when enlarged pic.

Pretty cheap pair of Mullard Blackburn square getter ECC81, right tube 1955 I think.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-12AT7-Mullard-paire-tube-NOS-ECC81/163497805422

I did find a couple posts in this thread marking H&K as a rebrander, but those post were for other tube types. I wasn't sure what the 5670 I posted was supposed to be. If it is a GE, then I already have one - triple mica, etched glass. Actually doesn't sound that bad now that it's had some time to run in - the harsh edges have smoothed out nicely (I'm running a Vali 2 btw). I think I only paid $10-12 for it so Viva's price is way too much if it actually is a GE

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #19,855 of 23,494
Buy it and send it to me if its under 80% Gm, I`ll toss it in the trash for ya, no charge.

You kid but unlike ECC81 the E88CC can be quite low testing and still sound decent enough on low gain in the Lyr2/MJ (no noise etc) due to the higher Gm. That's the only downside to ECC81, I somehow think they will last less in the Schiit amps that probably self-bias around a low mA point of E88CC (6mA ? I think I read that somewhere might be totally wrong however but the values are close) and 6mA at 100V is a pretty amazing reading for an ECC81. So if that ECC81 doesn't have decent Gm it might hiss etc.

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #19,860 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back