Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #19,861 of 23,494
I haven't seen any others. I do always make sure to get the ones that have ceramic rather than plastic though, as they tend to last longer.

These have been pretty solid so far. Had them for months.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Gold-ECC83-12AX7-12AU7-6CG7-EL84-6BQ5-6BQ5-plated-tube-socket-saver/283165860505?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Thanks got 4 for $23.68 total, got a pair of this sellers ECC81 to ECC88 adapter, pretty solid.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #19,863 of 23,494
Want to officially welcome OldSkool to Yggyland. There is no returning to what "was" bro. And I already know you're more than good with that.
Congrats and enjoy !!!

Welcome. I doubt you'll regret it.

I'm still contemplating the A2 upgrade, but I'm so happy with my chain at the moment, I don't think I want to mess with it.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #19,864 of 23,494
Welcome. I doubt you'll regret it.

I'm still contemplating the A2 upgrade, but I'm so happy with my chain at the moment, I don't think I want to mess with it.

Was talking to OldSkool about the upgrade. There is no hurry, if at all. I happen to like it a bit better but when you get down to it, they are just 2 different sounds. You already love the one you have...what's the point, right?
I could have easily lived forever with the original yggy. Real difference-maker.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #19,865 of 23,494
Mine's in for upgrade now. Think I got lucky on timing, ordered on Jan 4 and was #2 in queue. Within a week the queue was 17. After about 10 workiing days they contacted me to send it in and it's now in process.
Just hope the upgrade is worth the time and cost. Very anxious to have it back, I really miss it.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #19,866 of 23,494
Mine's in for upgrade now. Think I got lucky on timing, ordered on Jan 4 and was #2 in queue. Within a week the queue was 17. After about 10 workiing days they contacted me to send it in and it's now in process.
Just hope the upgrade is worth the time and cost. Very anxious to have it back, I really miss it.

To me the upgrade put more meat on the bone across the full spectrum. Closer to "live" or natural instrument timbre. A bit blacker background. Thought the width of the soundstage narrowed just a hair but not much of an issue for me with the HD800S's. I felt even though the overall sound was a bit fatter the overall detail-retrieval was in fact enhanced.
But those are my ears. Also the burn-in time needed to get to a nice critical listening level was much shorter than when burning it in new. Was pretty decent within 2 weeks...but like with it originally, it continues to refine over the next month at least.
Let us know your impressions. They may prove therapeutic to AuditoryCanvas.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #19,868 of 23,494
That dac is highly overrated, I know a bunch of deaf people in a study, they could not differentiate the difference between a 50 cent dac and the YGGY.

The lunatic ravings of your typical Gumby owner...

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #19,871 of 23,494
That's enough to swing the vote to nope for me.

A1 Retro FTW!
Viva la A1.

Narrower soundstage is not really the case but i remembered I'd floated that by you awhile back and you were immediately all over it. I'm just trying to save you some money broski.
Do NOT fall for this update !!! It isn't just narrow, it's also WARM !!! Oh man, that really sealed the deal.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #19,872 of 23,494
Narrower soundstage is not really the case but i remembered I'd floated that by you awhile back and you were immediately all over it. I'm just trying to save you some money broski.
Do NOT fall for this update !!! It isn't just narrow, it's also WARM !!! Oh man, that really sealed the deal.
Hahahahah. Warm like Heerlens.

Nope. I'm staying retro. I do want to take it in for a firmware update though. Hopefully I can drive there and back before the thing cools down. Maybe I should rig an inverter to the car so I can power it on the journey. I've got a good 6 months of being switched on. Can't let that go back to 0. :L3000:

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #19,873 of 23,494
My new thing is to switch it off for 2 minutes once a month. Let's it "recycle"...which broadens the narrowness and cools off the warmth.
Get with the program AC. I thought you were a professional for godsakes.

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #19,874 of 23,494
My new thing is to switch it off for 2 minutes once a month. Let's it "recycle"...which broadens the narrowness and cools off the warmth.
Get with the program AC. I thought you were a professional for godsakes.
That's oldschool man. I've been using the new method of standing on one leg while scratching my left ear with my left hand, and my right hand on the input selector once a month. Seems to work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back