Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 26, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #18,752 of 23,493
They're not quite up to the level of the Foton 3X, but for the money?..... these are GREAT tubes. Hard to beat $20 for an above average sounding set of tubes. Thanks TK as I pulled the trigger.

I'm listening to my other set with the TH-X Purplehearts and they sound quite good....and this is SE. The bass just slams with plenty of extension in the treble while taming it just a tad. Almost sounds like the mids have been pushed forward too with a LOT of detail.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #18,753 of 23,493
They're not quite up to the level of the Foton 3X, but for the money?..... these are GREAT tubes. Hard to beat $20 for an above average sounding set of tubes. Thanks TK as I pulled the trigger.

I'm listening to my other set with the TH-X Purplehearts and they sound quite good....and this is SE. The bass just slams with plenty of extension in the treble while taming it just a tad. Almost sounds like the mids have been pushed forward too with a LOT of detail.
Got 2 sets from that seller, 1 set tests good, no noise, shorts or microphonics and matched. Other set is in my dac, too lazy to pull them out and test. Good seller.

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #18,754 of 23,493
So I got the E180CCs from Langrex - all PWs, 2 are 1959 Heerlens, 1x1957, 1x1958 .
@AuditoryCanvas which ones required adapters and which ones not? I am getting a bit confused on this one (for Lyr2/Mj2). The pinout looks to be the same as 6922 but am I missing something? If that's the case I wonder why we didn't try this before :D

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #18,755 of 23,493
So I got the E180CCs from Langrex - all PWs, 2 are 1959 Heerlens, 1x1957, 1x1958 .
@AuditoryCanvas which ones required adapters and which ones not? I am getting a bit confused on this one (for Lyr2/Mj2). The pinout looks to be the same as 6922 but am I missing something? If that's the case I wonder why we didn't try this before :D
They should all be Heerlen, I don’t think anyone else made them. There are Mullard, Valvo, philips, telefunken, and others but they’re all rebranded.

They are the same pin out as 12ax7/12at7/12au7 etc, so you’ll need the adapters.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #18,756 of 23,493
They should all be Heerlen, I don’t think anyone else made them. There are Mullard, Valvo, philips, telefunken, and others but they’re all rebranded.

They are the same pin out as 12ax7/12at7/12au7 etc, so you’ll need the adapters.
I worded that poorly all are Heerlens just the years are different.

I also just received the ECC81 - they don't have readable codes but pretty sure both of them are Hollands and one is a Siemens.

What's the difference in the pinouts? The heater pins? -- edit: so it seems pins 4,5 and 9 need to be connected so the tube can run off of 6.3V in parallel instead of 12.3V in series - layout B9A compared to B9AJ(E88CC).
Damn I have to wait on the adapters now. I ordered a bunch of these last time I wrote here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/192035120609 and they should arrive later this week or next week.

Edit: Actually one of the tubes might be a Mullard Mitcham ECC81 they have the same getters. But one of the tubes has two holes in the plates while the other has only one longer hole.Both are early 50s however

Edit2: Upon some more research the two holes is Heerlen while the 1 hole is Copenhagen( I believe could always be wrong). So it makes me wonder if they will pair up nicely.

Edit3: Fck I have no idea anymore. The tube with 2 holes is also shorter could be a hamburg... I need to find a way to differentiate between these outside of codes because codes were painted on the bottom and we all know how that goes...

Edit4: Been reading around on these tubes people seems to swear the 6201 / ECC801S is the best of the 12AT7 family but I also remember people used to say the same about E188CC for the 6DJ8 family... I mean the E188CC are definitely amazing tubes but still I had most of my enjoyment from the older pure E88CCs. I wonder if it will be the same with this family

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #18,758 of 23,493
Don't forget about the Tesla 6CC41 50's and Reflektor 3x mica 6N2P 50's also. No adapter needed for them. Not a huge fan of those Refl, but the Tesla are great.
Trying out the 1958 Tesla 6CC41 from capt. Luke. Holy smokes, giant soundstage. Feels like I'm listening to speakers. Medtner piano concerto #1 sounds huge. Likewise Rakozcky March. But solo piano sounds right and not bloated. Very nice tubes, right out of the box.

Mahler Symphony #8 (Solti, Chicago Symphony) is stunning. The female duets are so lifelike.

EDIT: And now after 24 hours they've gone completely to schiit. It's like a ton of static in the left channel. Easy come, easy go. What a shame, these were delightful tubes.

EDIT 2: Seller says I can return them for a refund so looks like capt. Luke is a standup guy.

EDIT 3: Thought I would try cleaning the pins and so far (7 hours later) they are still sounding clean. Maybe I won't need to return them. I will if they still are running static-free tomorrow. That'd be nice because these are at least as good as the Foton 3x.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #18,761 of 23,493
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #18,762 of 23,493
Anybody in the USA interested in buying 2 pair of TS 2C51 square getters. Test NOS, tested noise, shorts, gas, Gm. Only issue is they are microphonic tapping tube and hitting the MJ2. $50 plus shipping for both pair. PM if interested.

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #18,763 of 23,493
Anybody in the USA interested in buying 2 pair of TS 2C51 square getters. Test NOS, tested noise, shorts, gas, Gm. Only issue is they are microphonic tapping tube and hitting the MJ2. $50 plus shipping for both pair. PM if interested.
That is such a smokin deal. I mean smokin. If I didn’t already have 5 sets of them, there’s no way I’d pass on this.
If someone never owned a Tung Sol before, they’re excellent. One of my favorite tubes, thus the reason I own so many.
They could possibly have some of the best mids of any tube I own. A bit relaxed on the top end and the bass (best was I can describe) is its neutral and natural.....doesn’t pump up the bass at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back