Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #18,242 of 23,494
TK, those are Reflectors. The rhombus on the reverse side is the OTK inspection stamp.
Those are the earliest RFL 6N3Ps I've seen.
He means they're the same tube. We compared them, the construction is the same, the codes on the tubes are the same, and they sound exactly the same. The print on the ones we got were so clean, it looked almost like they'd been rebranded. Do you know if there was ever a link with the Reflektor and Foton brands?

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #18,243 of 23,494
TK, those are Reflectors. The rhombus on the reverse side is the OTK inspection stamp.
Those are the earliest RFL 6N3Ps I've seen.
Have not received those tubes yet but I got 2 pair of 1959 Foton's 3x with the same Reflektor logo with the usual Foton rhombus on the other side. They sound exactly like the 2 pair of Foton 3x I got, no Reflektor logo. Not very versed in tube construction but they appear to be identical. Maybe Reflektor rebranded them?

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #18,244 of 23,494
Attention all new subscribers to this thread

if you start reading this thread from say page 750 on and especially anything from late 2017 on, you will gather a wealth of information and probably have every question you have answered for you. That’s what was suggested to me and what is suggested to all. Many questions have been answered numerous times if you just do a simple search or just enjoy reading the thread. It’s a great read too and you will learn.

The most well educated “tube” people you’ll ever talk to post here daily and have probably posted an answer to your question. Plus you’ll learn stuff that you “thought” you didn’t need to know.

This is why I’m now bankrupt living in a van down by the river. But I have my gear and all my tubes. I don’t need anything else except this ashtray, my remote control, my paddle game, and this 1 magazine, and my chair. And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.

I'm with 'ya Koover. After stashing up on tons of tubes I'd never use I considered myself all set in a similar fashion until I realized one essential need I hadn't considered. Toilet paper. :relaxed:

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #18,245 of 23,494
He means they're the same tube. We compared them, the construction is the same, the codes on the tubes are the same, and they sound exactly the same. The print on the ones we got were so clean, it looked almost like they'd been rebranded. Do you know if there was ever a link with the Reflektor and Foton brands?

Have not received those tubes yet but I got 2 pair of 1959 Foton's 3x with the same Reflektor logo with the usual Foton rhombus on the other side. They sound exactly like the 2 pair of Foton 3x I got, no Reflektor logo. Not very versed in tube construction but they appear to be identical. Maybe Reflektor rebranded them?

AC & TK, No connection that I would know about. REFLECTOR factory was in Saratov, FOTON in Tashkent.
That same rod-mounted plate and triple mica construction was used for several tube types including the '60s NEVZ 6N5P and 6N1P-E.
Common at that time. I think the other plate designs came later, fewer parts, less cost.
But true that this resembles the FOTON, e.g. does not have the full detail construction of the RFL 6N3P-E.
I think the general consensus is that the factory brand is etched. I have not seen any tubes yet with more than one factory etch.
But anything is possible.

Full list of Russian factories:
http://istok2.com/factories/
Google translate:
https://translate.google.com/transl...F-8&u=http://istok2.com/factories/&edit-text=

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #18,246 of 23,494

Ah, sorry missed that, so you have tubes that have both etched factory brands. Haven't seen that before.
If so, one of them branded it first, unless as AC says, they were connected in some way. Or one of the factories had both etching stencils?
When it's convenient, post a photo. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #18,247 of 23,494
Ah, sorry missed that, so you have tubes that have both etched factory brands. Haven't seen that before.
If so, one of them branded it first, unless as AC says, they were connected in some way. Or one of the factories had both etching stencils?
When it's convenient, post a photo. Thanks.
It's not both logos, it's the rhombus that has the code in it, but it's the one with a longer letter and number string, that I've only ever seen on Fotons.

you can see it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Tube...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #18,248 of 23,494
Since they were USSR, wouldn't the factories all have been state owned? Workers owning the means of production etc? So very well could all be doing exactly the same thing. I took a chance on a pair of the Reflektor triple micas myself.

The Tele E188CC sound quite good so far with 21 hours in. Trying not to make any pronouncements this early but no complaints at all.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #18,249 of 23,494
It's not both logos, it's the rhombus that has the code in it, but it's the one with a longer letter and number string, that I've only ever seen on Fotons.

you can see it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Tube-6N3P-2C51-5670-military-special/253631165703?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks AC, nice photos. That is the QC stamp for military lots, ВП typically with numbers inserted between the cyrillic characters.
OTK stamp was used for commerce/industry lots.

Difference between the 6N3P and 6N3P-E versions is the E has higher requirements for vibration and impact. Also longer life, 1500 hrs vs 5000 hrs.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #18,251 of 23,494
Right, it’s just that I’ve not seen that exact same stamp on anything but other Fotons.

Don't actually know what I have with the various QC stamps, but I have seen other factory tubes with the military QC stamp.
There's a good bit of distance between those two factories, Saratov in Russia and Tashkent in Uzbekistan.
True, that my defaulting to the factory etch is just an assumption, and anything is possible. I really don't know.

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #18,252 of 23,494
Don't actually know what I have with the various QC stamps, but I have seen other factory tubes with the military QC stamp.
There's a good bit of distance between those two factories, Saratov in Russia and Tashkent in Uzbekistan.
True, that my defaulting to the factory etch is just an assumption, and anything is possible. I really don't know.
Right. I’m curious if Reflektor bought the Foton plant, or old stock, as Foton seem to have disappeared in the mid 60s, whereas Reflektor obviously carried on for a lot longer.

I’ve had plenty of 50s Reflektor, but this is the first time I’ve seen any triple mica ones with the exact same construction as the Foton.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #18,253 of 23,494
Right. I’m curious if Reflektor bought the Foton plant, or old stock, as Foton seem to have disappeared in the mid 60s, whereas Reflektor obviously carried on for a lot longer.

I’ve had plenty of 50s Reflektor, but this is the first time I’ve seen any triple mica ones with the exact same construction as the Foton.

Yeah, just wouldn't know about any connection between the two.

Here's another Reflector with the military QC stamp:
upload_2018-6-20_22-34-34.png

6N2P is another Russian tube I've been thinking of trying when I have some time.
(Also note similar ladder box plate, 3 mica design.)
Higher amplification factor than 6N3P, 100 vs 34, similar to 12AX7, same 6V 300mA heater, but has same pinout as 6N23P, no adapter required.
IIRC, rutubes.com also has an eBay store (different name), purchased from them in the past.

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #18,254 of 23,494
Yeah, just wouldn't know about any connection between the two.

Here's another Reflector with the military QC stamp:

6N2P is another Russian tube I've been thinking of trying when I have some time.
(Also note similar ladder box plate, 3 mica design.)
Higher amplification factor than 6N3P, 100 vs 34, similar to 12AX7, same 6V 300mA heater, but has same pinout as 6N23P, no adapter required.
IIRC, rutubes.com also has an eBay store (different name), purchased from them in the past.
I have some very similar, the stamp is slightly different to the one I’m referring To on all the fotons though, is what I meant. I have lots with a similar qc stamp, but the only ones I’ve seen with the one that’s on the Reflektor in question, I’ve only seen on Fotons.

Will the 6n2p work in the MJ2? I actually have a few that were in a batch of 6n3p Foton by accident.

Edit, just looked at the data sheet, seems the Hester current is a bit over the max for the mj2 :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #18,255 of 23,494
I have some very similar, the stamp is slightly different to the one I’m referring To on all the fotons though, is what I meant. I have lots with a similar qc stamp, but the only ones I’ve seen with the one that’s on the Reflektor in question, I’ve only seen on Fotons.

Will the 6n2p work in the MJ2? I actually have a few that were in a batch of 6n3p Foton by accident.

Edit, just looked at the data sheet, seems the Hester current is a bit over the max for the mj2 :frowning2:

Of the 57/58/64 FOTON 6N3P I have, only the '64 has a military stamp, different than the one you reference, but it also has an OTK stamp, so really can't help there.

On the heater?? Check again, 6N3P is 350mA, 6N2P is 340mA.
IIRC, MJ2 can handle up to 425mA. According to Schiit, 6BZ7 is the 'standard' tube for MJ2, which has a 400mA heater.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6N3P.pdf
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/112/6/6N3PE.pdf
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6N2P.pdf
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/112/6/6N2PEV.pdf
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6BZ7.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back