Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 23, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #17,896 of 23,494
The last batch of ribs came in today. '51's and '52's. USPS tracking shows the box still in Queens:question:
I'm gonna stop now. Need 20 to send to the deep freeze, and probably have that covered. :sunglasses:

I don’t know a thing about these tubes. Are they compatible with adapter in the MJ2? If so, what adapter? Curious.

May 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #17,897 of 23,494
The last batch of ribs came in today. '51's and '52's. USPS tracking shows the box still in Queens:question:
I'm gonna stop now. Need 20 to send to the deep freeze, and probably have that covered. :sunglasses:

Bruh!

May 23, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #17,898 of 23,494
I don’t know a thing about these tubes. Are they compatible with adapter in the MJ2? If so, what adapter? Curious.

6SN7 equivalent tubes. The MJ2 doesn't take them but the original Lyr does.

Edit: And Lyr 3

Edit 2: By the way bro. Have you tried the 6C8G to E88CC adapters? I think you'll like those tubes. Ken-Rads are pretty powerful. This is what I kind of thought the Seimen's CCas were going to sound like. The Tung-Sols are my favorite. Imagine the tiny TS 2c51s but multiplied 4 to 5 times. Bigger in image and holography. Then you have the National Unions which are kind of...boring to me. I haven't tried the Sylvanias, RCAs, GEs, or Marconis.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #17,899 of 23,494

They're a 6sn7 (6n8s translates to 6h8c in Russian). Should work just fine in the MJ2 with a 6sn7 adapter.

EDIT: Guess I'm showing my ignorance. They will work electrically in the MJ with an adapter, but they probably won't fit physically. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #17,900 of 23,494
They're a 6sn7 (6n8s translates to 6h8c in Russian). Should work just fine in the MJ2 with a 6sn7 adapter.

EDIT: Guess I'm showing my ignorance. They will work electrically in the MJ with an adapter, but they probably won't fit physically. Sorry about that.
Heater current is too high for the mj2 and Lyr 2. They'll only work in the Lyr 1. They use 600ma heater current. The mj2 and Lyr 2 cap out at 415ma.

May 23, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #17,901 of 23,494
6SN7 equivalent tubes. The MJ2 doesn't take them but the original Lyr does.

Edit: And Lyr 3

Edit 2: By the way bro. Have you tried the 6C8G to E88CC adapters? I think you'll like those tubes. Ken-Rads are pretty powerful. This is what I kind of thought the Seimen's CCas were going to sound like. The Tung-Sols are my favorite. Imagine the tiny TS 2c51s but multiplied 4 to 5 times. Bigger in image and holography. Then you have the National Unions which are kind of...boring to me. I haven't tried the Sylvanias, RCAs, GEs, or Marconis.
I have not tried the Ken-Rads. I've read so much about these from you guys that I probably have to give them a shot...at least 1 pair and adapter of course. What I remember, they're inexpensive and all of you guys that have them love them. Thanx for the info and push to try them. Amy good sellers that are reputable that you or anyone knows?

May 23, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #17,902 of 23,494

All good bro. I appreciate the response

Heater current is too high for the mj2 and Lyr 2. They'll only work in the Lyr 1. They use 600ma heater current. The mj2 and Lyr 2 cap out at 415ma.
Thank you as I would have went for them. Don't want to fry my rig!

May 23, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #17,904 of 23,494
Thanks for posting this picture, you make my Foton and WE addiction look minor compared to yours!

You still have more. Mine are just bigger. :grin:

May 23, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #17,905 of 23,494
You still have more. Mine are just bigger. :grin:

Bro, averaging each tube to a lifespan of 5 years with moderate use (4 hours a week day and 6 on the weekends); you have enough of the ribbed Fotons to last you 100 years. Great Scott’s! That doesn’t include the non-ribbed Fotons. You’re set for life.

May 23, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #17,906 of 23,494
Bro, averaging each tube to a lifespan of 5 years with moderate use (4 hours a week day and 6 on the weekends); you have enough of the ribbed Fotons to last you 100 years. Great Scott’s! That doesn’t include the non-ribbed Fotons. You’re set for life.

I'm just planning for the worst case situation if I end up living to 150. :smile:

Of course, well before the first Foton wears out the Lyr 4 will be introduced using a different tube...

May 23, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #17,907 of 23,494
Collectors got yr back, yo.

I'm a bit envious of your Schiit Pile, though, I must say :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on a possibly related note, the '58 Foton 6N8S are sounding good after more than a year of collecting dust and having drinks spilled on them. Rolled them for a bit more burn-in, and as prep for comparing to the ribbed (? we shall see) '53s due in this week, unless Customs has impounded them.
Hi TX,
I have a pair of 1952-3 ribbed anodes sitting in the Jamaica, Queens Customs since August last year - never got them. Thankfully, PayPal refunded my payment.
I find that the ribbed anodes sound excellent and better than the regular Fotons. One thing is lacking with the ribbed anode Fotons - there is zero visual appeal, but they sound great.
The only tube with less visual appeal is this one:
s-l1600.jpg

I was told that there is a glass envelope inside....

May 24, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #17,908 of 23,494
Hi TX,
I have a pair of 1952-3 ribbed anodes sitting in the Jamaica, Queens Customs since August last year - never got them. Thankfully, PayPal refunded my payment.
I find that the ribbed anodes sound excellent and better than the regular Fotons. One thing is lacking with the ribbed anode Fotons - there is zero visual appeal, but they sound great.
The only tube with less visual appeal is this one:
s-l1600.jpg

I was told that there is a glass envelope inside....

Oooohh...I don't have any of those. What is it?

May 24, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #17,909 of 23,494
I have not tried the Ken-Rads. I've read so much about these from you guys that I probably have to give them a shot...at least 1 pair and adapter of course. What I remember, they're inexpensive and all of you guys that have them love them. Thanx for the info and push to try them. Amy good sellers that are reputable that you or anyone knows?

I got mine off eBay from thetuberoom in Ontario. He currently is only listing a single, but doesn't to hurt inquire if he has more. As I recall, his were Canadian military surplus, which were acquired from old US WWII stock of 1944. Be aware that the tube is cheaper than the adapter! They are incredibly good tubes though. One of the best I've tried. Warm but still lots of clarity.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #17,910 of 23,494
Oooohh...I don't have any of those. What is it?
Hi bc,
These are 6N7 octal tubes. With a ECC31 to 6SN7 adapter they can be used as 6SN7 tubes.
They are dirt cheap since they have no tube glow or visual appeal, but sound very good.
I recently bought a pair for $5 + $7 shipping (the seller accepted a $5 best offer instead of $10). The tubes are from 1944 and looked like they never were out of the original boxes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312140530736?ViewItem=&item=312140530736
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Gold-p...062593?hash=item2cd02b5841:g:3-UAAOSwMmBVvXRv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back