Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 19, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #17,851 of 23,494
@gregr507
AC is spot on with the description of the LM E`s and the socket savers. Very good tubes, but if your looking for warmth gravitate to the WE 396A`s. Think I remember LM E was under contract from Western Electric to make tubes or something for them. They sound nothing like the Western Electrics though. I recommend the Tube Monger socket savers. about $56 a pair I think. I also recommend Herbies Tube Dampers, they help out with microphonic tubes. They also tighten the bass up a bit too.

Edit: if you want to buy the LM E`s, I highly recommend the tube dampers with my experience with the LM E`s. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #17,852 of 23,494
@gregr507
AC is spot on with the description of the LM E`s and the socket savers. Very good tubes, but if your looking for warmth gravitate to the WE 396A`s. Think I remember LM E was under contract from Western Electric to make tubes or something for them. They sound nothing like the Western Electrics though. I recommend the Tube Monger socket savers. about $56 a pair I think. I also recommend Herbies Tube Dampers, they help out with microphonic tubes. They also tighten the bass up a bit too.

Edit: if you want to buy the LM E`s, I highly recommend the tube dampers with my experience with the LM E`s. :deadhorse:

Love Herbie's stuff. Everything I've bought from them works well and the prices are sane, unlike a lot of stuff aimed at the audiophile market. The Baby Booties are great for the small Schiit components (Vali, Loki, etc). They're not sticky, but compliant enough they help keep a stack of Schiit from sliding around. And they don't muck up the sound like sorbothane and Navcom. Have a set of Big Baby Booties on the way to go under the Lyr 3, not from the sliding perspective but because I expect they'll improve the sound. Haven't tried the tube dampers yet...

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/bbootie.htm

Baby Booties (small version):
SchiitStack.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #17,853 of 23,494
Socket savers do exactly that. If you’re pulling tubes frequently, they protect your sockets. Cheaper to replace than your amp’s sockets if they die.

I have the LM Ericsson, a very different beast to the TS in my opinion. I really didn’t like the TS, found them bass light, mid forward, and top end relaxed. The opposite of what I like.

The Ericsson, are well balanced, quite neutral, good bottom and top end, not overly mid forward. Great soundstage and separation. If you like warm tubes, these aren’t the tubes you’re looking for.

My tubes always sound better when warm.

(Bad. I know. Sorry).

May 19, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #17,854 of 23,494
Socket savers do exactly that. If you’re pulling tubes frequently, they protect your sockets. Cheaper to replace than your amp’s sockets if they die.

I have the LM Ericsson, a very different beast to the TS in my opinion. I really didn’t like the TS, found them bass light, mid forward, and top end relaxed. The opposite of what I like.

The Ericsson, are well balanced, quite neutral, good bottom and top end, not overly mid forward. Great soundstage and separation. If you like warm tubes, these aren’t the tubes you’re looking for.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents. My experience with the LM E’s gold sound is that they sound different to me than the O-getter steel pin LM-Es. The gold pins are more analytical and colder (As AC said in his post) compared to the steel pin O-getters which really reminds me of the WE396A sound just with slightly more treble extension.

I much more prefer the steel pin compared to the gold pins. Not sure what difference there is between the D-Getter vs O-Getter steel pin siblings.

May 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #17,855 of 23,494
I’ll throw in my 2 cents. My experience with the LM E’s gold sound is that they sound different to me than the O-getter steel pin LM-Es. The gold pins are more analytical and colder (As AC said in his post) compared to the steel pin O-getters which really reminds me of the WE396A sound just with slightly more treble extension.

I much more prefer the steel pin compared to the gold pins. Not sure what difference there is between the D-Getter vs O-Getter steel pin siblings.
@Autostart is selling these on eBay. I’ve always wanted to try these and still might. I’m talking about the steel pins too.

May 19, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #17,856 of 23,494
@Autostart is selling these on eBay. I’ve always wanted to try these and still might. I’m talking about the steel pins too.

You should. The gold pins pair well with the HD650s but the analytical nature of it was a bit too much with my other headphones. If you’re looking for a pair of gold l’ll sell you mine for a good price. I’m forever keeping my steel pins. :D

May 19, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #17,857 of 23,494

The gold pin and steel pin square getters sound very similar to each other to my ears, punchy, dynamic, highly detailed, neutral, very far from warm sounding. They do have a lot of air on top.

May 19, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #17,858 of 23,494
The gold pin and steel pin square getters sound very similar to each other to my ears, punchy, dynamic, highly detailed, neutral, very far from warm sounding. They do have a lot of air on top.

Thanks for feedback TK.

I’m wondering (and possibly grasping here) if Western Electric provided LME with WE396As parts and LME was in charge of building the tubes on their equipment. Before I speak too much into it, and because my memory may not be as reliable as it once was, I’ll roll the gold pins, steel pins, and JWs later today. I want to verify the differences again.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #17,859 of 23,494
Thanks for feedback TK.

I’m wondering (and possibly grasping here) if Western Electric provided LME with WE396As parts and LME was in charge of building the tubes on their equipment. Before I speak too much into it, and because my memory may not be as reliable as it once was, I’ll roll the all three tubes today and report back.
Can you check the gold pin for microphonics?

May 19, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #17,860 of 23,494
May 19, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #17,861 of 23,494
You should. The gold pins pair well with the HD650s but the analytical nature of it was a bit too much with my other headphones. If you’re looking for a pair of gold l’ll sell you mine for a good price. I’m forever keeping my steel pins. :D
I probably should look at the gold pins if they’re more on the neutral side seeing so many of HP’s are very musical and on the warm side. Sounds like it would pair well with most everything I have except the PH’s and HE560

PM sent

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #17,862 of 23,494

Mine are steel pin D getter.

WE production in Canada was via their subsidiary, Northern Electric, and in Europe, was licensed via Ericsson in Sweden. (http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tubes-we.html)

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #17,864 of 23,494
Total gateway drug. My '59 Reflektors were the first 6N3Ps that really caught my ear. Before I knew it, I've got Soviet schiit piled up on the floor, with a quad of '53 Foton 6NS8s inbound, and you fools have me hoping they're "ribbed." God help me. I'm off to find Sammy and let him know there's no point in coming back, as we'll just end up back "here" ... i.e., wherever it is I find him. Hope he knows how to build an igloo... or a tee-pee... or a Quonset hut.

This is a true story dedicated to Bill. It shall come to pass. If any of you can find The Lab, the not-so-slim pickings are all yours :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LMAO! Already gone. AC, was that you?
Hah. it was indeed me. I snagged them when I saw they were triple mica, same construction as the Foton 3x, plus I've never seen that stamp on anything else but Fotons, so I wonder if they're actually Foton in disguise.

If they test good, I'll sell them for $120 a pair. :)

May 20, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #17,865 of 23,494
Hah. it was indeed me. I snagged them when I saw they were triple mica, same construction as the Foton 3x, plus I've never seen that stamp on anything else but Fotons, so I wonder if they're actually Foton in disguise.

If they test good, I'll sell them for $120 a pair. :)
Got some matched pairs of the even more rare 56-57 Istok`s for $119.99, sorry to undercut you bro, need to eat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back