Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #16,549 of 23,494
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #16,552 of 23,494
The Valhalla 2 I bought came in today. Its my first OTL.

Hooked it up with a set 1965 Seimens 6DJ8 and the stock 6N6Ps.

Currently using Beyer T1G1 listening to Van Morrison Moondance. It sounds amazing. I always thought the T1s were OK, but not the great, always had other cans I liked more. The Valhalla 2 makes them sing. Going to try it with a couple other high impedance headphones.

Pappy always said use the right tool for the job. OTL amps for 300 ohms or more. got it...

:)

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #16,554 of 23,494
@Autostart lowered price on eBay on LM Ericsson 2C51 square getters, steel and gold pins. Has an OBO too, but you can PM him here and work out a deal avoiding the fees on eBay. These suckers are my favorite 2C51 detail tube. Has a good amount of warmth to compliment the high detail. WE 396A are still my number 1 tube, but this a a good compliment to the WE sound sig. Need to do more testing steel vs gold pin square getters to see if there is a noticeable difference. These tubes were all NIB too. Sold or selling the rest of the detail tubes, see my sig if interested.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM-ERICSSON-2C51-396A-GOLD-PIN-D-GETTER-NOS-MADE-IN-SWEDEN/222811773801
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM-ERICSSO...IN-ORIGINAL-BOXES-MADE-IN-SWEDEN/222808530095

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #16,555 of 23,494
The Valhalla 2 I bought came in today. Its my first OTL.

Hooked it up with a set 1965 Seimens 6DJ8 and the stock 6N6Ps.

Currently using Beyer T1G1 listening to Van Morrison Moondance. It sounds amazing. I always thought the T1s were OK, but not the great, always had other cans I liked more. The Valhalla 2 makes them sing. Going to try it with a couple other high impedance headphones.

Pappy always said use the right tool for the job. OTL amps for 300 ohms or more. got it...

:)

Loved my T1’s. Enjoy !!!

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #16,556 of 23,494
Thanks for the little write up / review @TK16 .

I lowered the price to aid in the selling of some of these tubes. Heading to Canjam this weekend and some extra cash wouldn't hurt.

How I acquired these tubes? Well, just like everyone else, I've heard so many good things about these tube that I was on a mission to find a set. In searched high and low. Searched every eBay auction old and new. Searched every tube roller from forums alike. Finally, I did find guy a guy that had the LM Ericsson 2C51 396a. When I received the email back I was for sure happy, but only to have the carpet pulled out from under me the seller advised me that he did in fact have the tubes i was looking for both steel pin and gold, but in order to buy them I much buy in quantity ( 30 tubes ) because shipping is a hassle ( the tubes where shipped from Norway ). At this point we didn't talk about money and the emails were quiet sporadic. I thought, heck..... this guy is from across the pond. What does he know? Wrong! I'm a firm believer that the EU guys scopenout our desires and hike up the price accordingly because he wanted over $2000. I left the email sit and j pondered on that right there. I tried to find any and all into on these tubes. All I could find were good things. Good reviews. Nothing bad but also not a whole bunch of action. I did manage to find one eBay listing for a set of steel pins that sold for $200 and thought I'd roll the dice.

I ordered the tubes. Paid the man and in the month of December got a wild hair up my arse and posted my MJ2 for sale thinking I would upgrade not knowing that not all amps are created equal, nor do they take the same tubes. By this point I lost steam on searching for my next amp and don't forget the LM Ericsson's were still in transit and being that the amp sold within an hour due to Schiit's backorder I never even got a chance to listen to them. A couple weeks ago a good friend let his Woo Audio amp go and I scooped it up with a quickness, but that doesn't help with compatibility with the 396a.

At this point I'm just trying to get most of my money back and feel pretty stupid over the whole ordeal especially since I never got to experience the rave on the LME's.

True story. Not proud of this but just in case you guys were wondering how I acquired all of these NOS in original boxes super rare tubes

I did manage to sell quiet a few but still have 8 or so sets left of anyone is interested send me a PM.

Eric

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #16,557 of 23,494
You could use that argument to suggest that crap tubes that Schiit supplies with their headphone amps are actually good tubes. Sorry, but the consensus is that the Voshkod Rockets are not great tubes and certainly not better than the '74 or '75 Reflektors. Just because one person disagrees does not make the Voshkods great tubes all of a sudden. But you certainly are free to live in your kumbaya world where every tube is great to someone....
I also think Rockets are better... so....
and I have tried many of them
Meaning both rockets and reflektors from many years
consensus...funny one...

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #16,558 of 23,494
I also think Rockets are better... so....
and I have tried many of them
Meaning both rockets and reflektors from many years
consensus...funny one...
I still think the Reflektor E’s are some of the finest inexpensive tubes out there and compare and surpass many others that are 10-15 X’s more expensive. But I still really like the rockets and especially the Fonton’s. It’s great being able to get great sounding tubes for less then a freakin candy bar.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #16,560 of 23,494
The Russian 6N3P are not my favorites, but not far off and are dirt cheap. Price/performance king. The Tung Sol are second for me in price/performance, considering what 6922 tubes you would get for TS 2C51 money is absolutely staggering.

I just finished putting 100 hours on a set of the russians that I got from AC and really enjoyed listening to them. Now I've put in a set of the Tung Sol 2c51's they have about 20 hours on them now and I must agree with you...they are very good. All these variants sound better to me than the 6922 tubes that I was using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back