Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #16,577 of 23,494
I’m still burning in my 6N3P single post getter and have them around the 80+ hour mark. They sounded different from when I initially got them and now they’re slowly opening up more. Once I get the MJ2 back from Schiit I’ll keep putting more hours on them.

I received the second Telefunken E188CC and paired them up that’s when the MJ2 died. I’m not one for conspiracies or bad karma but I think the Teles are cursed. :dizzy_face:

Could be a shorted tube. Did you find out what was wrong with the mj2?

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #16,578 of 23,494
Could be a shorted tube. Did you find out what was wrong with the mj2?

Schiit support got back to me and said it was a blown fuse. So at this point I purchased a new power cable and a Furman power conditioner. If it dies again I guess it’s not a crappy power grid but something else.

Hope to have it back soon.

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #16,580 of 23,494
Schiit support got back to me and said it was a blown fuse. So at this point I purchased a new power cable and a Furman power conditioner. If it dies again I guess it’s not a crappy power grid but something else.

Hope to have it back soon.
Thought it might be. Swap out your interconnects, and test those tubes for shorts before plugging it all back together.

If you're retaining the warranty, then might not be a good idea, but otherwise, the fuse is fairly easy to change if it happens again. Saves on shipping and time. Happy to walk you through it on the phone if you ever need help.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #16,581 of 23,494
Man the WE 396a's a great with the HD6xx too. Usually I either like a tube on the LCD2c or the HD6xx, not both. These things are amazing! Ok I'll stop gushing about them now :darthsmile:
Just plugged in my pair of AFO`s with a Black Dragon balanced cable. Sounds freaking fantastic, PS. do not buy out the remaining supply of late 40`s to early 50`s versions. They were recalled due to an ebola breakout, if you have any send them to me so I can "properly dispose" of them.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #16,582 of 23,494
Just plugged in my pair of AFO`s with a Black Dragon balanced cable. Sounds freaking fantastic, PS. do not buy out the remaining supply of late 40`s to early 50`s versions. They were recalled due to an ebola breakout, if you have any send them to me so I can "properly dispose" of them.

Lol nice try, you're a funny guy!

I'll have to try them out with the AFO when I get home tonight.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #16,584 of 23,494
Extremely warm combo, quite a nice change of pace from the more neutral tubes.

Like wrapping yourself up in a electric blanket.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #16,585 of 23,494
Let us know what you think...

:L3000:

Took me a while to get to reply however here's my findings:
After quite a few days testing (saga was on 24/7) with a single Telefunken E88CC 1960s Fat Getter in the Saga it sounds great, has a bit more gain like that which is nice, have not noticed any negative effects BUT one issue is that the adapter is very sturdy and fat, so it's currently stuck in the amp. I pulled out the tube and the adapter didn't come out with it.
I'm sure I can pull it out using a string of some kind that I wrap around it but still it does not come out easy, for now I personally don't care as I don't have any 6SN7s and I don't plan on getting any anytime soon.

So to sum it up -
Pros :
+ tube worked
+ sound was nice with more gain - the tube did not affect it as much as if the same tube pair in the MJ2,
+ no technical issues
+ adapter is nice and solid
Cons:
- Adapter did not come out with the tube and is now stuck in the amp so needs special care to remove using a contraption of a wire/or string around it OR amp disassembly.

Here's a picture showing the adapter in the Saga:

20180217_122146.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #16,586 of 23,494
After quite a few days testing (saga was on 24/7) with a single Telefunken E88CC 1960s Fat Getter in the Saga it sounds great, has a bit more gain like that which is nice, have not noticed any negative effects BUT one issue is that the adapter is very sturdy and fat, so it's currently stuck in the amp. I pulled out the tube and the adapter didn't come out with it.
I'm sure I can pull it out using a string of some kind that I wrap around it but still it does not come out easy, for now I personally don't care as I don't have any 6SN7s and I don't plan on getting any anytime soon.

So to sum it up -
Pros :
+ tube worked
+ sound was nice with more gain - the tube did not affect it as much as if the same tube pair in the MJ2,
+ no technical issues
Cons:
- Adapter did not come out with the tube and is now stuck in the amp so needs special care to remove using a contraption of a wire/or string around it OR amp disassembly.

I've had luck in the past with using a tube I don't care so much about, and bending the pins outwards a little so that it fits really tightly in the adapter, and then some gently wiggling until it lifts. Some of the old ruskies have fatter pins, so using one of them, and bending the pins outward a touch worked best. Didn't always work though. Had to use needle nose pliers on a few occasions. I've since double stacked with savers and adapters on the stubborn pair I have, so I don't end up there again.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #16,587 of 23,494
I've had luck in the past with using a tube I don't care so much about, and bending the pins outwards a little so that it fits really tightly in the adapter, and then some gently wiggling until it lifts. Some of the old ruskies have fatter pins, so using one of them, and bending the pins outward a touch worked best. Didn't always work though. Had to use needle nose pliers on a few occasions. I've since double stacked with savers and adapters on the stubborn pair I have, so I don't end up there again.

Nice tips :) Seeing you reply I just got an octet of Foton 6N3Ps :) There's 1x1963, 2x1964, 3x1966, 2x1968 so gonna test and match them now as close as I can based on years. Funny part is half of them are labeled В82П (V82P) not sure why but the same years have exactly the same construction as the ones labeled 6Н3П (6N3P) so I believe they are just mislabeled. Also the interesting thing is the typical russian "saucer getter" is actually square and not circle on the ones from 1963 and 1964. Fun stuff!

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #16,588 of 23,494
Nice tips :) Seeing you reply I just got an octet of Foton 6N3Ps :) There's 1x1963, 2x1964, 3x1966, 2x1968 so gonna test and match them now as close as I can based on years. Funny part is half of them are labeled В82П (V82P) not sure why but the same years have exactly the same construction as the ones labeled 6Н3П (6N3P) so I believe they are just mislabeled. Also the interesting thing is the typical russian "saucer getter" is actually square and not circle on the ones from 1963 and 1964. Fun stuff!

Nice! Curious to hear what you think of them. Let me know what your test results are, if we both have some that aren't matched, maybe we can create a few more matched pairs by swapping.

The square getter is a curious bit. It doesn't seem to be by year, as I have some from the same year that are both square and round. It was the first time I've ever seen a square solid getter though. Wonder if they did it to match the Foton logo?

I have some 50s ones arriving this weekend, or Monday. Curious see see how they test and sound. Some are Foton, some are Reflektor, and some are Istok (which I've never heard of - some of them are small like the 5670). all from 1956 to 59.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #16,589 of 23,494

So to sum it up -
Pros :
+ tube worked
+ no technical issues
Cons:

Great write up, thanks.

I am going to order a couple 6SN7 socket savers and stack those before trying the adaptor.

Appreciate the heads up on the cons...

:)

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #16,590 of 23,494
I still think the Reflektor E’s are some of the finest inexpensive tubes out there and compare and surpass many others that are 10-15 X’s more expensive. But I still really like the rockets and especially the Fonton’s. It’s great being able to get great sounding tubes for less then a freakin candy bar.

I also like the two Reflektor 6N3P-EV in my Valhalla 2 better than the JAN GE 5670.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back