Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #16,006 of 23,494

That's a Siemens A-Frame E88CC. Not bad tubes but far from the best and totally not worth that price. Was actually my 2nd pair I ever bought and compared to my first (Orange Globes Heerlen) it felt so much better.

Also about the Disc Getters, they don't have to be PCC88s, but the chance of finding an E88CC Disk Getter Siemens is probably the same as finding a barrel of cash buried in your back yard.

Here is what the Disc Getter looks up-close (http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=96317) .

I finally received my second single of Siemens E88CC D-Getter and will test, match and audition them soon. More info to be had here soon.

Edit: Also don't mind me guys - it's not that I'm not happy with the rest of my tube collection, it's just that it seems because some the rarest ever tubes are so hard to find, sometimes they slip undetected under the radar in ebay, and I get to try something new and rare. And sometimes single by single I am able to collect some nice pairs.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #16,007 of 23,494
Hopefully you did not do any drunken tube rolling last night and all is ok?

I learned my lesson the first time and my amp is currently out for repair. No damage done. This time... :wink:

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #16,009 of 23,494
How did the Bendix 6385 fare in your MJ2? Remember you buying but did not see any mention.

Didn’t get them following your advice. Used the monies for the CCas.

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #16,010 of 23,494
Just rolled the TS2c51's back in the amp after about a month with the Tele E188CC's. My god those Tung Sols are monsters. It is truly amazing how
true to scale they make the instruments sound on my rig...size-wise I mean. I mean Strats are Strats. Grand pianos are Grand pianos. And on and on.
They just cover you with music that is so real. There is no escape...but you sure as hell don't want to anyway. Just awesome tubes.
It would be so sad, and so hard, if I had to pick one pair over the other. The Tele's don't do the above. But they are more mystical and alluring, a bright star
on a clear night. Pure. Pulsating. Mezmerizing. They take me farther away. The TS bring me all the way inside. Two ways of doing it. And both do
their thing better than anything else I've heard. Yet anyway.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #16,011 of 23,494
Just rolled the TS2c51's back in the amp after about a month with the Tele E188CC's. My god those Tung Sols are monsters. It is truly amazing how
true to scale they make the instruments sound on my rig...size-wise I mean. I mean Strats are Strats. Grand pianos are Grand pianos. And on and on.
They just cover you with music that is so real. There is no escape...but you sure as hell don't want to anyway. Just awesome tubes.
It would be so sad, and so hard, if I had to pick one pair over the other. The Tele's don't do the above. But they are more mystical and alluring, a bright star
on a clear night. Pure. Pulsating. Mezmerizing. They take me farther away. The TS bring me all the way inside. Two ways of doing it. And both do

Bill you tubeanizer!

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #16,012 of 23,494

Hey Bill, you said it all, I can't say it anymore. Your description is like a poem, and you said, alike poet.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #16,014 of 23,494
Good news tube lovers - Siemens E88CC D-Getters (I can't tell you the exact years because well the codes are not visible, but they are 50s anyway) are not a huge difference to the Siemens CCa/E88CC O-Getters early 60s. They sound great but not worth the persuit and premium over the CCas - that's my initial impression which may change after burn-in of course.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #16,015 of 23,494
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #16,016 of 23,494
Picked up a Schiit Saga.

Trying not to jump further into the tube rabbit hole. Would there be any operational issues for the tube or Saga using this adapter so I could use some of my existing 6DJ8 family of tubes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-ECC88-...201042793753?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Thanks for any input...

:)

I actually have a Saga and use it only in passive mode, never thought about using such an adapter but now that you mention it I certainly got interested.
Looking at the Saga specs - it runs 100V rails, 6.3V heater so that's perfect for 6922, also it runs 6NS7, so it can support 600mA heater current. The only thing that could be an issue is - the 6922 has more gain (18-23 for the 6SN7 vs 26-40 for the 6922) but I'm not sure if that's going to be an issue.
In fact we should be able to run stuff like E288CC and other Lyr 1 exclusive tubes that we couldn't run in Lyr2/ MJ2 because of heater current.
I definitely will order 2 pieces of this adapter and see what happens.

Edit:

P.S. Seems like this CANNOT be done with the Freya as it runs 300V rails.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #16,017 of 23,494
If it weren’t for you guys, I’d never have owned a Tung Sol variant and i’d still be running $15 a pair tubes off of eBay.

I was just getting ready to give up on my new to me Elear due to the splashy treble that I just couldn’t take, until? Well F me runnin....I rolled in a Tung Sol JTL 2C51. Now this headphone sings and has gone from I’m not gonna keep this freakin headphone to I can’t get enough of it. To me, it’s the best tube I own and makes everything sing. I gotta agree with you Bill, eloquently spoken man and I couldn’t agree more, even with my jacked up ears I hear the incredible details and smoothness from the TS’s.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #16,019 of 23,494
If it weren’t for you guys, I’d never have owned a Tung Sol variant and i’d still be running $15 a pair tubes off of eBay.

I was just getting ready to give up on my new to me Elear due to the splashy treble that I just couldn’t take, until? Well F me runnin....I rolled in a Tung Sol JTL 2C51. Now this headphone sings and has gone from I’m not gonna keep this freakin headphone to I can’t get enough of it. To me, it’s the best tube I own and makes everything sing. I gotta agree with you Bill, eloquently spoken man and I couldn’t agree more, even with my jacked up ears I hear the incredible details and smoothness from the TS’s.

Now I'm curious about the Tung Sol 2C51. Just need to find a single tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back