Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #8,521 of 8,735
Quote:

I would not say those Mullard RTCs are bad.   They just don't seem to play well with LCD-2s.   As I mentioned before, people with HD650s have raved about how great they are.

You learn what's good and what's not by reading, researching, but ultimately by trying in your own system with your own ears.   The sound of a particular tube may be great to you, horrible to someone else.  Every component in the chain of gear you're playing through can and will affect the sound and with the Lyr, tubes are a big part of that chain.   You might love the sound of a certain pair, but then plug-in some different cans and find you suddenly don't like them anymore.  That can get very expensive, very fast.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to work your way through different tubes rather than dropping the budget on super expensive glass out of the box.   I've heard lots of people start off saying they want to buy the "best" tubes and that will be it - yet  almost every single one of them still ends up buying/rolling others.  Let's face it, tube-rolling is fun in this amp.   It plays well with a wide variety of 6DJ8, equivalent and similar tubes, many of which are readily available, and it only requires one pair at a time for what can be drastic differences in sound.   Along the way you can learn quite a bit about how to ID tubes, read date codes, spot fakes, etc.  Again, taking that path is just my own personal opinion.

There's also a wealth of information in this thread if you take the time to sift through it.

Anyways, enough late night rambling for now... the most important things are that it's fun and enjoyable.

-Mike

@R_Scott_Ireland likes the Mullard RTC's because he bought mine.  Can't remember his pairing.
He also like the mid 60's green labels.

That said.... The sellers are trying to pass the white box Mullard RTC's off as the same as the green labels and they are charging way too much.  They are not the same.  No way 70's glass should cost over.... heck  $125 ish.

Olga "frau_illa" (eBay I think) had quite a few Mullard RTC's at a reasonable price.  There was a huge flood of these 60 days ago.. or so.

For the green label, mid 60's, be patient.  Some NOS should surface for, I'll guess $180 to  $225.

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #8,522 of 8,735
Some day I will try the Rockets.  
I see all the posts but it's like I have a mental block figuring out what to order.
I've had a lot on my plate with the 300B.   I suspect they will love the Russian glass.
Soon.  Then I'll post my penny.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #8,523 of 8,735
Alright, I've had my orange globes for a few days now. I have listened to them for about 35 hours now. Compared to the stock GE tubes that came with the Lyr. When I first upgraded to the HD650's from other "lower tier" headphones, I was able to hear things I couldn't hear before. With the orange globes, those things that I couldn't hear before, is much easier to hear. In addition I found the details and soundstage to be a bit more clear, and the bass to be much better. Awesome tubes! Will stick with them until they run out of juice.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #8,524 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for the pics!  So I guess somewhere in 1971 they went to a single post getter/shield.  Very interesting.  Yes they do look like the '67 Reflektors I found - dimbled getter posts as well.

Here a cool photo - "I like my flying saucers right side up"!

I like mine inverted.

EDIT:

If everything goes as planned. One week from Monday I will be selling.
1) Bifrost UBER. Toslink only  9 months old.   EDIT:  Keeping this.
2) Bifrost non-uber Toslink Only several hours of use
3) Lyr GE tubes. 9 months old. 10 hours on tubes
4) Audeze LCD2 Rev 1,  Rosewood with travel case.  Original cord and 3M Q-cable

I have not figured out the asking price.

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #8,525 of 8,735
Quote:
I like mine inverted.

EDIT:

1) Bifrost UBER. Toslink only  9 months old.

and the Lyr is kept?

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #8,526 of 8,735
Quote:
Alright, I've had my orange globes for a few days now. I have listened to them for about 35 hours now. Compared to the stock GE tubes that came with the Lyr. When I first upgraded to the HD650's from other "lower tier" headphones, I was able to hear things I couldn't hear before. With the orange globes, those things that I couldn't hear before, is much easier to hear. In addition I found the details and soundstage to be a bit more clear, and the bass to be much better. Awesome tubes! Will stick with them until they run out of juice.

could you link the original post of which oranges specifically you bought?

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #8,527 of 8,735
Quote:
and the Lyr is kept?

Nope.   The Lyr will be liquidated along with one Bifrost.  I will order a Gungnir.
BUT you aren't rid of me because the 300B amp uses ECC88 style glass too.  
L3000.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #8,528 of 8,735
Quote:
Fortunately when I find something that sounds good to me I will have the restraint to stop! I know what I like and I realize chasing the last couple percent of "perfect sound"  can be a costly and frustrating affair.  Like when I stuck those Reflektor 6N23P in my X-Can v2, sounded better than stock and nothing sounded bad, so DONE!

No No No!  That's not how its done.

You have to quest find the ultimate for your ear and agonize endlessly about if its 'just right' or not.  Comparing and contrasting until the end of your days. Money is no object. The street is a fine place to live so long as you have your gear and an outlet.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #8,529 of 8,735
Quote:
I am a tweak too and I love audio gear, longtime audiophile, in the business actually. But let me ask you this, if you take the worst pair of tubes you have and listen to them for a few days then put in the best set you have, do you hear a $1000 difference? :grinning:

That depends on a lot of things. But maybe. But I value great audio unlike most people around me. But quite a few 'get it' in this thread. So its all in perspective. Meh. I tend to buy things that IMHO demonstrate quality. I like nice things. Possibly can't afford them, but that is besides the point. :wink:

Other gear I like is nice bicycles, nice sunglasses (I abhor sunlight).  However, I don't care about how my car looks or performs. So long as it can get that old rusty horse to work, I'm good.

Its all about what you like I suppose. 

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #8,530 of 8,735

No No No!  That's not how its done.

You have to quest find the ultimate for your ear and agonize endlessly about if its 'just right' or not.  Comparing and contrasting until the end of your days. Money is no object. The street is a fine place to live so long as you have your gear and an outlet.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #8,531 of 8,735
Quote:
I like mine inverted.

EDIT:

1) Bifrost UBER. Toslink only  9 months old.   EDIT:  Keeping this.

Beautiful!  I bet it sounds amazing!!

Edit

Love those 300b tubes I once had a Airtight 300b - no headphone jack unfortunately - a work of art otherwise!

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #8,532 of 8,735
Quote:
@R_Scott_Ireland likes the Mullard RTC's because he bought mine.  Can't remember his pairing.
He also like the mid 60's green labels.

That said.... The sellers are trying to pass the white box Mullard RTC's off as the same as the green labels and they are charging way too much.  They are not the same.  No way 70's glass should cost over.... heck  $125 ish.

Olga "frau_illa" (eBay I think) had quite a few Mullard RTC's at a reasonable price.  There was a huge flood of these 60 days ago.. or so.

For the green label, mid 60's, be patient.  Some NOS should surface for, I'll guess $180 to  $225.

There are some sellers outside of eBay charging $300/pr for the same RTC Mullards, way too expensive, IMO.

I think you're right on with price... $125-$150/pr is reasonable for these, especially if they happen to pair up well with the cans or speakers being used.

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #8,534 of 8,735
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back