Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #8,147 of 8,735
I gonna brag a tiny bit.....

Lyr Bass:            Fiat 500
DG 300B Bass:   Fully armored Humvee with turret mounted 50 cal

Just say'n

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #8,149 of 8,735
Now that the OG's have shown me how great an Amperex tube can be, it's tempting to wonder about the USN's. Very happy with where I'm at though (my wallet thinks so too). I rolled back in the Brimar's just to check. That didn't take long. OG's won by a landslide knockout.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #8,150 of 8,735
Quote:
Now that the OG's have shown me how great an Amperex tube can be, it's tempting to wonder about the USN's. Very happy with where I'm at though (my wallet thinks so too). I rolled back in the Brimar's just to check. That didn't take long. OG's won by a landslide knockout.

Just remember, they're mostly all actually Philips tubes, don't want to start another big discussion...  
wink.gif

If you're talking about the USN-CEP 6922s they're also amazing tubes, but they aren't very similar to the OGs IMHO.  They don't have the fluid midrange, they remind me of really sweet solid state sound.  Hyper accurate, but not at all harsh, really nice soundstage.

I have a pair I could lend you, just PM me.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #8,151 of 8,735
Just remember, they're mostly all actually Philips tubes, don't want to start another big discussion...  
wink.gif

If you're talking about the USN-CEP 6922s they're also amazing tubes, but they aren't very similar to the OGs IMHO.  They don't have the fluid midrange, they remind me of really sweet solid state sound.  Hyper accurate, but not at all harsh, really nice soundstage.

I have a pair I could lend you, just PM me.
Thanks for your offer :p By your description, it seems I'd like the OG's much more than the USN's. I don't think it gets much (or any) better than the OG's.

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #8,152 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for your offer
tongue.gif
By your description, it seems I'd like the OG's much more than the USN's. I don't think it gets much (or any) better than the OG's.

Well, that was my problem with the RTCs, the RTCs reminded me a LOT of the USN-CEP 6922s.  They're both AMAZING tubes, but the whole reason I bought a tube amp was to get a "tubey" sound.  I was a straight-wire-with-gain guy for decades.  Just give me the truth, warts and all, I can handle it!

But now that I've heard a bit of tube sound, I'm hooked!  You can say it's euphonic, but I'm not convinced that accuracy has to suffer, at least not all that much.

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #8,153 of 8,735
But now that I've heard a bit of tube sound, I'm hooked!  You can say it's euphonic, but I'm not convinced that accuracy has to suffer, at least not all that much.
Well said...The OG's seem very accurate, but with the perfect amount of tubey-warmth euphony to make them extremely enjoyable to listen to. Amperex really got it right with this tube.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #8,154 of 8,735
(edited for brevity and impact :D)

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #8,155 of 8,735
The 1967 Reflector saucer getters and the 1975 silver shield Voskhods arrived!  

The Reflectors sounded really good - kind of on par with the 1980 VR silver.

But then I put in the 1975 Voskhod silver shields...
All I can say  -  they are the best 6922 tube I have ever heard. 

Brand new they just blew me away!

Totally entrancing, amazing rich tonality with the highest level of detail I have ever heard.  On my test recordings, I am hearing so deep into the mix, stuff I never knew was there is appearing.

All with a captivating magic, sweet, sweet musicality, immense sound stage, pinpoint imaging, heart pounding dynamics.

I have to stop here, as they don't even have 24 hours on them.

I will be MIA from here for awhile - I just can't take my headphones off.  I have dozens of tracks to listen to...

~I want to thank this forum for getting me to renew my exploration of these amazing tubes...I wouldn't be here in audio nirvana without you~

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #8,156 of 8,735
Quote:

Totally entrancing, amazing rich tonality with the highest level of detail I have ever heard.  On my test recordings, I am hearing so deep into the mix, stuff I never knew was there is appearing.

All with a captivating magic, sweet, sweet musicality, immense sound stage, pinpoint imaging, heart pounding dynamics.

I will be MIA from here for awhile - I just can't take my headphones off.  I have dozens of tracks to listen to...

~I want to thank this forum for getting me to renew my exploration of these amazing tubes...I wouldn't be here in audio nirvana without you~

Enjoy!  
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #8,157 of 8,735
Quote:

The '80 silver shields arrived today, Bob. Hope to give them a listen tonight.

Enjoy those '75s!

Cheers, JC
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #8,158 of 8,735
With so many listening to Orange Globes recently, I realized that I hadn't listened to them in awhile. So, I spent the afternoon comparing a set of 1968 Orange Globe O-Getters to a set of USN-CEP's. I used Senn HD800's, Audeze LCD-3's and Denon AH-D7000's. Lyr/Bifrost-Uber stack.

First, I have to say that I only listen to classical; but I compared using various orchestral, chamber, choral/vocal and solo piano music.

The short version: in all of these categories, to my ears, the USN-CEP's are in a class above the OG's. Not in the class of the S&H CCa or Amperex pinched waists, but very high on my hit parade. BUT, I think I can see where for certain types of music, with certain headphones, the OG's can really shine.

With the HD800 I immediately noticed a liquid warmth with the OG's; the bass and low-mids were very good. But to me, the mids and low-highs were a little recessed. This was most apparent with orchestral music. With violins - they were not quite as forward as they should have been in the mid-frequencies. Detail was good throughout, but the soundstage was shallow and wide, giving a very left/right feeling that was not ideal for orchestral music. This close presence of sound worked much better with chamber music/smaller ensemble. These tubes really gave me an "in-your-face" impression. I don't think HD800's are best with these tubes either. For orchestral 6/10. Chamber music/smaller ensemble/solos 7/10.

The OG's, especially the mids, were much better with the LCD-3's. Still a little laid back, especially with orchestral (still congested, lacking soundstage/air/height), but better. Piano music was nice with the HD800, but better with the LCD-3. Same with chamber music. Orchestral is just too crowded. Orchestral 7/10. Chamber/small ensemble/solo 8/10.

Finally, the D7000's. The best of the 3 for sheer musical enjoyment! The added bass and low-mids give a warm, liquid, lyrical presentation. The mids are still a little recessed, but so smooth that you just don't notice it as much (or care as much!). The warmth of these phones also tamed the highs a little, which I found musically pleasing. Even orchestral sounded good, except that in very dense passages with fast bass movement (Mahler 5) things got muddy/sloppy. Piano music was good, but there was a little treble resonance missing that gave the piano a not quite natural sound. All genres 8.5/10.

Then I went through the same sequence with the Amperex USN-CEP's. With the HD800 bass response was very fast with better separation in the instruments (more "air") than the Orange Globes. The sound seemed "purer" - I'm not sure how else to describe it - a better presentation. The soundstage was still not very deep (it was wide), but somehow it mattered less with these tubes. The mid-high and high frequencies sounded cleaner and more natural. Piano sounded more correct with all frequencies present. All genres 9/10.

With the LCD-3's - same comments. Overall better sound/presentation, albeit a little warmer with the LCD's; not quite as good as the HD800's on orchestral, but the slight added warmth makes chamber music (particularly with bright recordings) sound great; piano sounds great too, as does choral/vocal. Overall 9/10.

Now for the big surprise - the Denon D7000's - Warm, musical, lyrical, beautiful; similar comments to the OG's, but these are better - no sloppiness in fast bass passages; very clean, beautiful orchestral; cleaner highs; you really hear the biggest differences with these phones; chamber music, vocal and piano too - Wow!; All genres 10/10.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #8,159 of 8,735
Another type of construction i've stumbled upon.
Voskhod 6N23P's with dual getter supports, and they have a big rocket logo, hard to see from this picture because the printing has faded, made in 69 and 70 respectively.

Almost the same as the 70's silver shields but i'd say they have a hair more bass presence.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #8,160 of 8,735
Someone stole the Orange Globes from under my nose this afternoon from [size=x-small]mercedesman6572... [/size] needless to say I was unhappy.. Is he a member on this forum? being such a tube enthusiast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back