Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #7,547 of 8,735
Quote:
Ah man I thought I was done with this stuff. Don't know why I keep coming back. Where did you get the 1956 mallards? How much were they if you don't mind me asking. I'll have to keep a look out for some.

they cost a lot. 600 bucks for a pair of nos. with import fees and shipping it cost me 784 Canadian dollars. I bought them at audiotubes from brent jesse. I am very happy with the service there. they know their stuff. they have a boatload of incredible tubes. but prices are high. but i'd rather pay more and have the right tubes.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #7,549 of 8,735
Quote:
well i figured i might as well add a bit more tube-candy to the forum :D

hot dang, nice collection... I only just got my Lyr, and looking for tubes... time to start a collection too!

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #7,550 of 8,735

1956 Mallards?

(Sorry, just struck me as funny...)

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #7,551 of 8,735
Quote:
well i figured i might as well add a bit more tube-candy to the forum :D

Nice!  
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #7,552 of 8,735
I've upgraded my Maverick D1 a little bit, well really i've just put a better tube in there.

I was originally using the solid state pre-outs because the tube in there was one of those Shuguang chinese rubbish things that sounded terrible. Upgraded to a Raytheon 5670 with windmill getter and the sound is now absolutely amazing, i never realized how junk the solid state section of this amp/dac sounded until now.

Lyr sounds a whole lot better now it's running on the Maverick's tube pre-out with the Raytheon.

Makes me wonder how much better a Bifrost will sound over this Maverick D1. That's another thing to add to the shopping list i guess, along with an iBasso DX100 for my Miracles and the next Xbox.

Gonna be an expensive year methinks 
confused_face.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #7,554 of 8,735
Telefunken E88CC vs Amperex PQ Orange Label 6922: Amperex seems warmer, but is no match for Telefunken's presentation, clarity and instrumental separation. Telefunken wins by knockout in the first round. From what I've heard, there are much greater Amperex tubes than the Orange Label, and these Telefunken's are some of their best. Not a fair contest probably. Also have a pair of Ediswans coming in next week to add to the mix. This can start to get too expensive. I was talked out of the Bugle Boys by someone who knows more than me (and there are lots). Recommended the Ediswan's instead. White Label Amperex (and maybe BB) will hopefully one day be in the collection.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #7,556 of 8,735
Quote:
Telefunken E88CC vs Amperex PQ Orange Label 6922: Amperex seems warmer, but is no match for Telefunken's presentation, clarity and instrumental separation. Telefunken wins by knockout in the first round. From what I've heard, there are much greater Amperex tubes than the Orange Label, and these Telefunken's are some of their best. Not a fair contest probably. Also have a pair of Ediswans coming in next week to add to the mix. This can start to get too expensive. I was talked out of the Bugle Boys by someone who knows more than me (and there are lots). Recommended the Ediswan's instead. White Label Amperex (and maybe BB) will hopefully one day be in the collection.

After burning them in for 75-hours I'm really loving my slightly less expensive [size=medium]ECC88 Telefunkens too!  Very detailed and neutral with an excellent sound stage.  I really have not had the urge to roll anything else in their place at the moment. [/size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #7,557 of 8,735
Quote:
I'm getting annoyed with the loud noisefloor on the Lyr.

Anyway to stop it, guys?

What tubes are you running?  

My Lyr most definitely does NOT have a loud noise floor.  I suspect that if you upgrade your tubes you'll find the noise level improving.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7,558 of 8,735
I should know this...but I don't.
redface.gif

Which tube handles the left channel? Front or rear?

Thanks in advance!
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #7,559 of 8,735
Quote:

After burning them in for 75-hours I'm really loving my slightly less expensive [size=medium]ECC88 Telefunkens too!  Very detailed and neutral with an excellent sound stage.  I really have not had the urge to roll anything else in their place at the moment. [/size]

My Telefunken E88CC, and Telefunken / Siemens E88CC also exceeds by far any Amperex of my possession.
Siemens A frame with gold pin also sounds wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back