Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #7,516 of 8,735
Back home again!  And what was waiting in my mailbox?  Some old Philips glass from France!  Time to do some rolling!  
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #7,517 of 8,735
Quote:
Back home again!  And what was waiting in my mailbox?  Some old Philips glass from France!  Time to do some rolling!  
beerchug.gif

Ooooooh, do tell!  Whatcha get?
popcorn.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #7,518 of 8,735
Quote:
Ooooooh, do tell!  Whatcha get?
popcorn.gif

Sceleratus' favorite: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111037665429?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649  RTC E188CC.

But I guess they're actually from Holland, though the brand is definitely French.  

I have been sneaking listens between doses of pink noise, and I must say, they really sound nice!  I am surprised they sound so good after so little burn in.  I have to admit, just like Sceleratus and other here have said, they really do have an amazing, almost 3D soundstage! And they sound so airy and spacious. the treble is really smooth and nice, yet detailed.

But I'm going to wait until at least 20 hours before I do any serious comparisons...

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #7,519 of 8,735
Nice!!!

Those RTC's should sound fantastic with your LCD's! Enjoy!

beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #7,520 of 8,735
Quote:
Sceleratus' favorite: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111037665429?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649  RTC E188CC.

But I guess they're actually from Holland, though the brand is definitely French.  

I have been sneaking listens between doses of pink noise, and I must say, they really sound nice!  I am surprised they sound so good after so little burn in.  I have to admit, just like Sceleratus and other here have said, they really do have an amazing, almost 3D soundstage! And they sound so airy and spacious. the treble is really smooth and nice, yet detailed.

But I'm going to wait until at least 20 hours before I do any serious comparisons...

Awesome. I was raving about them back when and I felt like my voice was lost in this thread. I am glad to see others trying them , they are by far my favorites (along with the Dario Miniwatts)

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #7,524 of 8,735
Quote:
Awesome. I was raving about them back when and I felt like my voice was lost in this thread. I am glad to see others trying them , they are by far my favorites (along with the Dario Miniwatts)

I wouldn't say "lost" per se, it's more like folks were hesitant.  When one person says "these are awesome", it peaks everyone's interest but until a few more folks start lauding them, it's hard to jump on the bandwagon.
wink_face.gif
  We needed a few more guinea pigs...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - It was the same way with the Lorenz Stuttgart Tubes...

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7,525 of 8,735
Quote:
I wouldn't say "lost" per se, it's more like folks were hesitant.  When one person says "these are awesome", it peaks everyone's interest but until a few more folks start lauding them, it's hard to jump on the bandwagon.
wink_face.gif
  We needed a few more guinea pigs...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - It was the same way with the Lorenz Stuttgart Tubes...

Yeah, I agree. I had some real stinkers based on some of the experiences of others, we all hear different. For instance,  I detest the Russian tubes(in the Lyr) whereas others love them. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #7,526 of 8,735
Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I had some real stinkers based on some of the experiences of others, we all hear different. For instance,  I detest the Russian tubes(in the Lyr) whereas others love them. 

Also different headphones, different DAC's and different tastes in music, it all adds up differently for everyone.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #7,527 of 8,735
Quote:
Sorry, no slight intended...

No slight taken, my intention was to show joy that these hidden gems are getting the admiration that they deserve!  They are fantastic. I have two sets, French and Holland made and I essentially sold off my others based on how much I enjoy them. The only ones I keep around are the Dario Miniwatts just because of the low end and separation they bring to the mix.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #7,529 of 8,735
I think it would be better to describe tubes by which factory they were made in, and if known, with which tooling rather than make.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #7,530 of 8,735
Dear Lord Soth:

My ears are indebted to you . . . My wallet is another matter . . .

I sprung for a pair of Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist tubes from 1956, Heerlen production. They just arrived and I've been listening to them this evening with the Lyr/Bifrost-Uber stack and Senn HD800 phones.

These may be the best I've yet heard. They are ultra-detailed in all frequencies, with both a wide and deep soundstage. Listening to Mahler symphonies is like being in a concert hall - Row 15 Center. There is clear separation of instruments left to right, and a smoothness at all dynamic levels. They are so "liquid" and smooth in presentation that at first they seem warm, but that is not the case. Highs sparkle without sibilance; lows are tight and accurate.

The tubes are very microphonic, but Herbie's Rx tube dampeners fixes the problem.

In my personal rating system, they get 10 out of 10. The only other tubes that have been 10/10 (to my ears, of course - there is no objectivity to this!) are the Siemens & Halske CCa's. They are a different presentation, but also superior. Now I have to roll those in again to compare directly to the pinched waists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back