Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #7,261 of 8,735
Quote:
Great minds...
wink.gif

I will keep in touch as the Woo WA2 is next on my list and I can use some guidance. I plan to pair it permanently with my HD650's and it's nice to know that I can still use my stash of E88CC/6922's

beerchug.gif

Feel free to PM me if you ever come close to pulling the trigger.  With a neutral source like the Digital Link III, it's an incredibly good amp that pairs so well with HD600's and HD650's.

May 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #7,263 of 8,735
Just received my Lyr and started tube rolling. This would be my fourth hybrid tube amp I have tried over the years in addition to my all tube amps. I find that the Lyr responded quite readily to tube rolling and easy to tell differences in tubes. I did find that the 6H23 / 6922 Type 3 tube is far from ideal for the Lyr. That tube is thin and very harsh sounding almost gritty in character. The stock GE 6BZ7 is much softer and slightly mellower and seems to compress the dynamic range of some of the music that I listen to. It is an easy listening tube.  The 6BZ7 is a bit too soft and does not have quite the dynamic range to cover with the classical music that I listen to.  I am trying some tubes from my Counterpoint days and getting far better results with the tubes that have not seen the light in quite some time.

May 18, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #7,267 of 8,735
Quote:
How big a deal is the 7v heater in the PCC88s? Does using them 'out of spec' in the Lyr have any impact on lifespan or generate extra heat? 

Think of it as running a lightbulb at lower voltage, less heat and longer life, but won't burn as bright.

So "not burning as brightly" will mean they are not running optimally, but many people love the sound of the PCC88's running in Lyr, i believe many would claim the Stuttgart Lorenz PCC88's are the very best tube they've ever heard in Lyr.

May 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #7,268 of 8,735
Think of it as running a lightbulb at lower voltage, less heat and longer life, but won't burn as bright.

So "not burning as brightly" will mean they are not running optimally, but many people love the sound of the PCC88's running in Lyr, i believe many would claim the Stuttgart Lorenz PCC88's are the very best tube they've ever heard in Lyr.

+1 The Lorenz Stuttgart's sound fantastic in the Lyr. Not so with all amps however. The higher heater voltage does not work well with my Liquid Glass.

May 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #7,269 of 8,735
For those of you using the Tubemongers socket savers in the Lyr, I'm hearing a faint clicking in one channel (left channel only) when no music is playing or between songs.  I've tried pushing down on the left socket saver to make sure it is seated and switching to a different set of tubes, but no change.

Anyone have any suggestions?  What's the best way to remove the socket savers?  Do I have to open up the Lyr?  Thanks.

May 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #7,270 of 8,735
+1 The Lorenz Stuttgart's sound fantastic in the Lyr. Not so with all amps however. The higher heater voltage does not work well with my Liquid Glass.

The reverse seems to be the case with Lorenz Stuttgart ECC85's. I am listening to them now with the Liquid Glass and LCD-3's. Wow! Amazing detail, soundstage, etc. Among the best I've heard so far with the LG. But, I understand from ilikepooters' posts that they were good with the Lyr (I haven't rolled them into the Lyr yet), but not great, since they have a 250V anode voltage spec. With the LG I can switch from 200V up to 300V anode voltage (150V to each tube), which probably helps quite a bit. They sound a lot like the PCC88 Stuttgarts sound in the Lyr.

May 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #7,271 of 8,735
For those of you using the Tubemongers socket savers in the Lyr, I'm hearing a faint clicking in one channel (left channel only) when no music is playing or between songs.  I've tried pushing down on the left socket saver to make sure it is seated and switching to a different set of tubes, but no change.

Anyone have any suggestions?  What's the best way to remove the socket savers?  Do I have to open up the Lyr?  Thanks.

I use an inserted tube to remove them. If you rock the tube back and forth a certain way (can't really explain this - mostly by feel) the tube+socket saver will both loosen and the socket saver can then be removed more easily.

May 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #7,272 of 8,735
I ordered a set of socket savers as well as a matched set of Gold Lions. The Lyr is my first tube amp, so I'm pretty excited about trying out different tubes and seeing how the sound will change.

May 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #7,273 of 8,735
Quote:
I use an inserted tube to remove them. If you rock the tube back and forth a certain way (can't really explain this - mostly by feel) the tube+socket saver will both loosen and the socket saver can then be removed more easily.

Thanks!  That worked.  It took a while with the left socket saver because that is the stickier socket.  I put the tubes back in without the socket savers.  And all is quiet again.  So it does appear that the socket saver I used in the left channel was noisy.  I'll check into an exchange with Tubemonger.  Now back to enjoying my Lyr.

May 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #7,275 of 8,735
I hear from a very reliable source they are all the detail and presence of the Lorenz SEL PCC88's...and then some.
Is that nudge enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back