Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #6,406 of 8,735
Quote:

How long has it been so far?

Couple of weeks. But the tracking is completely borked, so a replacement pair will be mailed. At this point, I don't think it will ever change the fact that I will never receive a pair of pair of S&H ccas. I have another pair that I pulled the trigger on. The real deal. 5 business days and their just not happening at all so far.  Seriously, I think maybe the seller is hoping I ask for a refund because the price point did not go into its usual crazyland.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #6,407 of 8,735
You can get random untested OG pulls and hope for the best for $10-17 a pop. Seller 'goldengavellistings' will refund non-working for up to 14days after receipt. If a pair comes out of the same pull, chances are they are still "matched".

Quote:
I know I'll be corrected on this... I am a bit confused.

But Amperex = Philips, but they built valves for Mullard and visa versa.
Amprex OG's were generally Holland.  The white label and 6922's New York.

All a bit jumbled.  Just look at the Philips Valve Codes in my prior post.
Now, I don't know if they compiled the list and everybody agreed on the Mfg code
It appears so because Siemens and Halske, Valo, and Telefunken are on the list.

Clearly, as an example, Philips made "French" RTC valves in Holland. 

To your point:
I like Amprex valves.  I paid more for the "6922 Class" valves and I believe they sound better.
I think I paid $240 for the 1960's

By far, by a mile, my "French" RTC's E188CC's sound... just magical.  Can't remember.  1965 I think.
They have the Big "O" getter.  I can't say enough about them.  They were made in a Philips / Amperex plant in Heerlen Holland.
I have not listened to the 3 mica stuff and above, but I can't imagine anything sounding better than these.
RTC Purchase
You must find some.  I paid $140 but most of them are almost $300.
I do not want to recommend the RTC / Mullards, until I hear them.
They are not the same as the RTC's I own now.

Amperex....  Early 60's  Orange Globes <$  Bugle Boys $ < 6922.
I don't have any stamped "PQ" or "SQ"  I believe those sound amazing and I believe they conform to the E188CC spec.

I know you have a pretty good collection.... For those starting out... IMO... pay $70 and get some mid 60's matched Orange Globes.
Those are a great value.  mercedesman usually has them.  I have 69 dimple OG's, I gave away 67' O getters to a friend.  I had Bugle Boys and found them harsh.
IMO.  It is worth paying more for "O" getter Orange Globes.  They are an excellent place to start.... or stay.  A nice elevator ride up from stock.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #6,408 of 8,735
Quote:
Lyr newbie here, I've had mine all of 4 hours now. I bought it to replace my Asgard 2 and the results have been everything I had hoped for.

So a simple question out of curiosity: I ordered mine with the JJ E88CC's and so far so great. But how would you characterize the stock GE tubes in comparison?

I'm sure someone has covered this before, but 425 pages....

Thanks!

Much like 'lifting a veil'. Only to reveal another. Repeat.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #6,409 of 8,735
Quote:
Except they don't seem to actually work that way in practice. I've never noticed any odd harmonics or anything resembling variable EQ while listening. Of course your mileage may vary with the PCC189 but they sound pretty good regardless of the vari-mu and it won't harm your amp so at the price I'm comfortable experimenting.

I'd be willing to give 'em a try (if I hadn't just spent all my money on the Bugle Boy D-Getter tubes)...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #6,411 of 8,735
I found this RTC in ebay but not match ones. you think wise to get this separately or wait for the match ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-NEW-TUBE-E188CC-7822-RTC-MADE-IN-HOLLAND-MORE-AVAILABLE-/111037665429?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item19da5c5095

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #6,412 of 8,735
Quote:
I found this RTC in ebay but not match ones. you think wise to get this separately or wait for the match ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-NEW-TUBE-E188CC-7822-RTC-MADE-IN-HOLLAND-MORE-AVAILABLE-/111037665429?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item19da5c5095

Gustav,

Those are them !!
Mine are a little older.  1965

They look perfect.

My interpretation is they are all the same production codes, he is just selling them one at a time.  That
he didn't publish test codes....  But, from what I see, only half the eBay sellers publish test results.  

"triangle"  Holland Plant... check.
"7"  1967...check
"J" September.... check.
"5"  5th week of production...  I guess they use short weeks in numbering 

I went for a pair...
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #6,414 of 8,735
Quote:
The dt990's are a tad bright on my stock tubes. Can anyone recommend something a litter darker(cheap)?

Mullard 6BQ7A - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370791359478?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Very cheap, and i've just bought a pair :)

I reckon they should be pretty warm being Mullards.

*EDIT*
I believe these were made by Brimar, in which case i feel pretty silly because i've already ordered a set of Brimar 6BQ7A 
redface.gif
 here's hoping they sound fantastic so i can consider one of them a backup pair 
popcorn.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #6,416 of 8,735
They look like they have a completely different plate structure....so they most likely will sound different. :)
Mullard 6BQ7A - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370791359478?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Very cheap, and i've just bought a pair :)

I reckon they should be pretty warm being Mullards.

*EDIT*
I believe these were made by Brimar, in which case i feel pretty silly because i've already ordered a set of Brimar 6BQ7A 
redface.gif

here's hoping they sound fantastic so i can consider one of them a backup pair 
popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back