Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #6,391 of 8,735
Quote:
OF COURSE!!!! I REMEMBER YOU KNOW!!! 
wink.gif

Are you glad you got your Lyr?
Do you notice a difference between the Lyr and the Valhalla?

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #6,396 of 8,735
Quote:
OH come on...I have nothing compare to the other headifers, It's like tip of the iceberg. 

wink_face.gif

I intend to get HD800, and then save up for some Stax 007 MKII's, that will surely bankrupt me 
eek.gif

Quote:
These tubes arrived today [size=small]2 x PCC189-7ES8-SIEMENS-NOS-NEW-OWN BOX[/size] sound not bad at all right out the box. I perceive some airyness and a nice sound stage. Time for some burn in:)

Did you get the A frame ones with dimple getter? Or are they the tri-mica O getter like in the picture on ebay?

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #6,397 of 8,735
Quote:

Did you get the A frame ones with dimple getter? Or are they the tri-mica O getter like in the picture on ebay?

I have to look but i'm really liking the sound of them:) I will report back later once i have a chance to confirm, can you give a link for the pics of the 2 versions in this thread if its no trouble thanks. Its looks like A Frame based on the pics.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #6,398 of 8,735
Hey everyone,

The guys at TubeMonger monitor this thread and occasionally send me some good information to post relating to tubes for the Lyr, so I thought I would share:

"It is not a good idea to use any random valve for Audio applications. For example variable mu valves like ECC189/PCC189. Sort of having a graphic equalizer in the signal path that changes randomly on the fly.
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?forum=tubes&searchtext=pcc189

Tube in the following post is late 1970s Tesla PCC88 with Lorenz Select Label. No connection with German Lorenz except for the label.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/6345#post_9347114

Halo getter for 1960s production does not apply to all companies. Dimple disk getter came only from Philips associated companies in Europe/Asia (Philips Holland/Amperex, Valvo, Mullard, Ei Yugo, Bel India etc.). Other companies like Tungsram, Tesla, Siemens, RTC France produced Halo getter valves through 1970s and 1980s if they were still open.

Rare materials only in 1960s valves is a myth. Some of the best tubes out of UK were made by Genalex/GEC in 1970s. Side note: Genalex never made ECC88/E88CC valves. Most would Genalex/GEC ECC88/E88CC are rebranded Mullards). While 1960s was the peak of Valve tech, most 1960s/1970s valves from Europe are superb.

Tubemonger
www.tubemonger.com

For your tube ID Questions
www.tubemongerlib.com"

As always, thanks guys!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #6,399 of 8,735
Quote:
Hey everyone,

The guys at TubeMonger monitor this thread and occasionally send me some good information to post relating to tubes for the Lyr, so I thought I would share:

"It is not a good idea to use any random valve for Audio applications. For example variable mu valves like ECC189/PCC189. Sort of having a graphic equalizer in the signal path that changes randomly on the fly.

Tube in the following post is late 1970s Tesla PCC88 with Lorenz Select Label. No connection with German Lorenz except for the label.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/6345#post_9347114

Halo getter for 1960s production does not apply to all companies. Dimple disk getter came only from Philips associated companies in Europe/Asia (Philips Holland/Amperex, Valvo, Mullard, Ei Yugo, Bel India etc.). Other companies like Tungsram, Tesla, Siemens, RTC France produced Halo getter valves through 1970s and 1980s if they were still open.

Rare materials only in 1960s valves is a myth. Some of the best tubes out of UK were made by Genalex/GEC in 1970s. Side note: Genalex never made ECC88/E88CC valves. Most would Genalex/GEC ECC88/E88CC are rebranded Mullards). While 1960s was the peak of Valve tech, most 1960s/1970s valves from Europe are superb.

Tubemonger
www.tubemonger.com

www.tubemongerlib.com"

As always, thanks guys!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

well I'l be.
This must be correct sceleratus day.
plenty of disclaimers in that post.

we'll change "I may be wrong" to "I am wrong." Or maybe "don't believe anything I posts"
After all, I'm just a Dufus on a forum.

EDIT:
You just made Oskari's day.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #6,400 of 8,735
Quote:
Lyr newbie here, I've had mine all of 4 hours now. I bought it to replace my Asgard 2 and the results have been everything I had hoped for.

So a simple question out of curiosity: I ordered mine with the JJ E88CC's and so far so great. But how would you characterize the stock GE tubes in comparison?

I'm sure someone has covered this before, but 425 pages....

Thanks!

To my ear, GE stock tube JAN 6bq7a = Bugle boy 6DJ8 = SEL Lorez PCC88 = Telefuken 6922 all are similar sounding with subtle difference.
I might not have sensitive ears, but I still figure it out why I am so isolated from my fellow headfiers here.

I try to give a chance to my Telefunken by giving more time to burn-in, in order to justify my expense.
Today is the 2nd day with Telefunken, and I notice that with small volume the sound is not granny, but sweet, which is a good sign.
However Lyr with any tube is better than my two other SS amplifiers.
I think the stock tubes are not bad ones.
smile.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #6,401 of 8,735
Quote:
well I'l be.
This must be correct sceleratus day.
plenty of disclaimers in that post.

we'll change "I may be wrong" to "I am wrong." Or maybe "don't believe anything I posts"
After all, I'm just a Dufus on a forum.

EDIT:
You just made Oskari's day.

Don't shoot the messenger!
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6,402 of 8,735
Quote:

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

But they sound so fantastic! So what's going on? 
blink.gif

If i understand correctly, mu is just gain right? I can't see variable gain being a problem, surely if it was up and down all the time i'd notice the sound getting louder and quieter constantly?

I don't know how all this stuff works exactly, but i imagine the variable mu only kicks in when the input to the tube is changed, either stronger or weaker, i don't think Schiit would build an amp where the signal to the tubes is all over the place 
confused_face(1).gif

I'm probably getting all of this wrapped around my neck, but the PCC189's i've used thus far sound fantastic to me, excellent detail and expansive, sound better than all other tubes i have/had like RCA 6BQ7A, GE 6BZ7, SEL Lorenz PCC88.

Should i just stick with what my ears are telling me? 
popcorn.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #6,404 of 8,735
Hey everyone,

[COLOR=1155CC]http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?forum=tubes&searchtext=pcc189[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1155CC]http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/6345#post_9347114[/COLOR]

Tubemonger
[COLOR=1155CC]www.tubemonger.com[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1155CC]www.tubemongerlib.com[/COLOR]"

As always, thanks guys!

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Except they don't seem to actually work that way in practice. I've never noticed any odd harmonics or anything resembling variable EQ while listening. Of course your mileage may vary with the PCC189 but they sound pretty good regardless of the vari-mu and it won't harm your amp so at the price I'm comfortable experimenting.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #6,405 of 8,735
Quote:

But they sound so fantastic! So what's going on? 
blink.gif

If i understand correctly, mu is just gain right? I can't see variable gain being a problem, surely if it was up and down all the time i'd notice the sound getting louder and quieter constantly?

I don't know how all this stuff works exactly, but i imagine the variable mu only kicks in when the input to the tube is changed, either stronger or weaker, i don't think Schiit would build an amp where the signal to the tubes is all over the place 
confused_face(1).gif

I'm probably getting all of this wrapped around my neck, but the PCC189's i've used thus far sound fantastic to me, excellent detail and expansive, sound better than all other tubes i have/had like RCA 6BQ7A, GE 6BZ7, SEL Lorenz PCC88.

Should i just stick with what my ears are telling me? 
popcorn.gif

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back