Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #6,227 of 8,735
Quote:
Since Valvos have recently been brought up...by coincidence, I rolled in a pair of 1959 Valvo D-getter PCC88's yesterday afternoon. I had bought these from a fellow Head-Fier a couple months back, but just now got around to rolling them in and I spent the rest of the day listening.

Very, very nice tubes! Bass extension seems average, but tight. Smooth silky mids, extended airy highs. The best part is the "3D" soundstage which is almost as wide as the famed Stuttgart Lorenz on my rig.

Oh, one more thing. The first song I chose was Flamenco Sketches, Kind of Blue, Miles Davis. Same year as these tubes, 1959.

Does anyone else match the year of the first song to the tube, or am I the only certifiable lunatic here? 
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

do you have Lorenz Stuttgart?  just curiosity.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,228 of 8,735
I do not remember. Its been 10 or 15 years ago and I had used them in another piece of equipment. I may have picked them up cheap at a "radio" show. I have some other pairs of that tube, but the 7308s are NOS because they are changing and getting sweeter as the afternoon goes on. Tomorrow I will figure out if one or both of the Amperex PQs are going bad. They sounded as good as the Siemens CCas before they got noisey.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #6,229 of 8,735
Quote:
do you have Lorenz Stuttgart?  just curiosity.

Yes. But the point of my post was to give my impressions of the Valvo D-getter PCC88, which to my ears has a somewhat similar 3D soundstage.

Maybe it's a "made in Germany" thing? I haven't heard the Telefunkens, tho.

YMMV.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #6,230 of 8,735
Quote:
Joong, this logo means these tubes are highly recommended for listening to music by Guns N' Roses.
wink.gif

Just kidding, my friend. I honestly haven't noticed that mark before, sorry.

HI,

It's a symbol for a valve.
If it's a dual triode it's incomplete.
Might be a logo.

The bottom sticks are the heater pins 4 & 5
The lower left stick is the cathode
The top left stick is the grid "G"
The top stick is the anode or plate.
"R" is probably grid Resistance.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #6,231 of 8,735
Quote:
$T2eC16ZHJI!E9qSO9fbyBRRWiPi(6g~~60_35.JPG

What does it mean?
When I am shopping, I found this mark along other photos.

Those are Old Guy Radiola's tubes. Meaning, not his manufacturing just his eBay store name listing. And that's his trademark logo.

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #6,233 of 8,735
Quote:
Those are Old Guy Radiola's tubes. Meaning, not his manufacturing just his eBay store name listing. And that's his trademark logo.

Speaking of...  I just managed to pick these up from him on ebay today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLAND-D-GETTER-BUGLEBOY-PCC88-P88CC-7DJ8-6DJ8-SUBS-HOLLAND-NOS-TUBES-RARE-/271180628637?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

I picked them up since one of my favorite Amperex Orange Globe 7308s just bit the big one.  One day it was playing fine and the next day I found the base cracked and lost vacuum.  It sucked but such is the way with tubes no matter how careful you try to be.  I'll let you know how the BugleBoys sound when I get them.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #6,234 of 8,735
Little off topic, anyone of you guys heard Beyerdynamic T1 from Lyr ? Is it good combo ?

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #6,235 of 8,735
Is there a general opinion for the best all around tube for the lyr+he500 combo? I'm looking for deep bass, lush mids, detailed highs, and a wide soundstage. The soundstage doesn't have to be too wide, I'd sacrifice that for the rest of the properties.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #6,236 of 8,735
Quote:
Speaking of...  I just managed to pick these up from him on ebay today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLAND-D-GETTER-BUGLEBOY-PCC88-P88CC-7DJ8-6DJ8-SUBS-HOLLAND-NOS-TUBES-RARE-/271180628637?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

I picked them up since one of my favorite Amperex Orange Globe 7308s just bit the big one.  One day it was playing fine and the next day I found the base cracked and lost vacuum.  It sucked but such is the way with tubes no matter how careful you try to be.  I'll let you know how the BugleBoys sound when I get them.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Real gems.  I've never seen anything like them.
I am jealous..very jealous.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #6,237 of 8,735
Just ordered some Tungsram 6922's. Any one have any reviews on these?

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #6,239 of 8,735
Damn mouse! Look what it did...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261195816159

But I couldn't stand that this one guy "a*****3" had bought up 3 sets of NOS cca Telefunkens, then one set of S&H NOS cca, all in a row. I was really just trying to mess with the guy and maybe get a crack at a decent price. I get this feeling hes just going to resell his wins at astronomical prices.  Pushed it a hair too far I guess.
wink.gif
   I have now officially spent quite a bit more on tubes than the Lyr.

DONE.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #6,240 of 8,735
Quote:
I just came into the possession of a pair of Telefunken E88CC Diamond bottoms made in 1968. Are these any good? 

http://vintageaudiotubes.com/?p=1279

I haven't heard them, but they go for good monies on the ebay. I'm going to say their probably hard to beat. Then again it comes down to taste. Not everyone is a Tele fan. The big favorites appear to be Telefunken, Siemens, Amperex and Lorenz. If I had to poll the public as a whole, I would guess that the top tubes from those  players would come out in that order.  I could be completely off base. Depends entirely on your rig and tastes. YMMV, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back