Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #6,196 of 8,735
Quote:
I can't see any etching anywhere, but on the A frame ones they have something else faintly on the glass.

IPA

or

IPA
08A

can't quite make it out.

Wherever they were made, the A frame ones sound fantastic.

IPA ?
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #6,197 of 8,735
Quote:

When i got the 2nd ones it was from the same seller who was using the picture of the first ones. Seller was rosmarie3878.

I bought the 2nd set on 28th march, so if you bought them on that day or after they might be the A frame ones.

Don't get me wrong, the first ones are amazing tubes, but the 2nd ones are even better.

I ordered these as well .... in fact there was an attempted delivery yesterday and I'll be picking them up today on my way home from work.  Until you mentioned the seller's name I didn't think these were the same because I thought I was purchasing the tubes in the 1st picture.  We shall see

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #6,198 of 8,735
Quote:

I ordered these as well .... in fact there was an attempted delivery yesterday and I'll be picking them up today on my way home from work.  Until you mentioned the seller's name I didn't think these were the same because I thought I was purchasing the tubes in the 1st picture.  We shall see

Both tubes came from that seller, just different construction.

Hoping everyone gets the 2nd variety.

Looking forward to everyones thoughts 
L3000.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #6,199 of 8,735

Already attempted delivery ?

Message I got from seller :

"Thank you, we ship fully insured with Deutsche Post, NOT DHL.
Your stuff should appear within 2 BUSINESS DAYS in the tracking system of " Deutsche Post " .
The system depends on feedback from your post organisation, this can take some days up to several weeks, depending on the country."

Hope it won't take several weeks from Germany to Czech Republic :D Otherwise performance of Deutsche Post would be pretty low.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #6,200 of 8,735
Quote:
Already attempted delivery ?

Message I got from seller :

"Thank you, we ship fully insured with Deutsche Post, NOT DHL.
Your stuff should appear within 2 BUSINESS DAYS in the tracking system of " Deutsche Post " .
The system depends on feedback from your post organisation, this can take some days up to several weeks, depending on the country."

Hope it won't take several weeks from Germany to Czech Republic
biggrin.gif
Otherwise performance of Deutsche Post would be pretty low.

Seems to take about a week from Germany to UK, so Czech Rep should be quicker.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #6,201 of 8,735
Quote:

When i got the 2nd ones it was from the same seller who was using the picture of the first ones. Seller was rosmarie3878.

I bought the 2nd set on 28th march, so if you bought them on that day or after they might be the A frame ones.

Don't get me wrong, the first ones are amazing tubes, but the 2nd ones are even better.

Yep, I got the same ones as you did .... the A frames.  They sound great, nice non-sibilant, extended fluid highs, good bass, no microphonics.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #6,204 of 8,735
Quote:
You are so right.
That is far more important.  missed that one.

Tin is very active material so that it reacts with socket material.
In usual tin - tin mating pin and socket interface would form a compound layer so that it would have tendency to engage permanently.
In our case of rolling repeatedly, tin pin could be reconsidered especially when the temperature around the socket can be higher than room temperature.
Rolling tubes in this line of thinking may require gold pin connection and separation when it is necessary.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #6,205 of 8,735
Quote:

dang U !!!
I visited rosemarie and got some Valo E88CC's
i always wanted a set of Valos

They are large O getters... which I like.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #6,206 of 8,735
The SEL's are pretty good comparatively to other affordable tubes. They're actually much better than most of the mid-tier tubes.

They don't really sound the same though.

Real Lorenz are older, rarer, etc and more importantly made in Germany. SEL made not in Germany but other parts of Europe.
I believe the more popular SEL are Nish Yugoslavian made.

The plants are what make the differences, different tech, better resources, etc.

Very true. I have both the SEL's and the Stuttgarts. The SEL's are nice, but not in the same league. Of the 20 +/- types of tubes in my collection, the Stuttgarts are clearly #1. The SEL's rank around #15 or 16.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #6,207 of 8,735
Very true. I have both the SEL's and the Stuttgarts. The SEL's are nice, but not in the same league. Of the 20 +/- types of tubes in my collection, the Stuttgarts are clearly #1. The SEL's rank around #15 or 16.

R Scott Ireland, I'm a fellow "tube hunter" on Ebay.

So I know you shelled out between 200 to 300 big ones on Ebay for each of the Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88s.

For that kind of $$$, I suggest trying the Amperex Pinched Waist 6922s.
They are in a different league compared with other tubes.

The next closest would be a pinched Waist PCC88 or an Amperex 6922.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #6,208 of 8,735
Quote:
dang U !!!
I visited rosemarie and got some Valo E88CC's
i always wanted a set of Valos

They are large O getters... which I like.

Have these too and they sound good with HD650.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #6,209 of 8,735
Quote:
Need some help guys,
[size=small][size=12pt]I 've [size=small]been listeni[size=small]ng to my LCD[size=small]-2's thru [size=small]my[/size] L[size=small]yr and Bifrost combo[size=small] and now i'm[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size] looking for something with a more analytical sound not syrupy. Geared towards the higher end to bring out the [size=small]LCD[size=small]-2[size=small]. [size=small]I feel [size=small]like the darker sound of the LCD-2's is even [size=small]more magnified through the Lyr. [/size][/size]From what [size=small]I've read the tubes below are more geared towards that brighter sound signatur[size=small]e.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=12pt]I'm looking at the Tesla E88CC
 http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Tesla-E88CC-%7B47%7D-6922.html

or the Tungsram 6922 red label
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Tungsram-PCC88-%7B47%7D-7DJ8.html[/size]
[/size]

[size=small][size=12pt]Or something else [size=small]if you feel [size=small]you've got a better suggestion[size=small].[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

If you don't mind getting recommendations from Aune T1 user, I recommend Amperex 7308 white label PQ and Telefunken 7DJ8. Those are definitely my most analytical and transparent tubes. I've also heard that those red label Tungsrams are considerable substitutes for Amperex 7308. I can't recommend Amperex 6DJ8 orange globes if you want to go for brighter sound. At least for me they feel warmer all across the spectrum as compared to the 7308. I also find the orange globe bass to be slightly boomy/bloated. Telefunkens are fantastic tubes for those who want neutral sound. With my 7DJ8 Teles the only complaint is that sometimes I feel the vocals could be slightly recessed (could also be just my mind playing tricks on me I guess). Another tube I really like is Siemens 7DJ8. It's slightly more forward sounding and hence more focused than the 7308 white label and Telefunken 7DJ8. But yeah, for analytical sound Teles are good.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6,210 of 8,735
With Lyr by rolling tube, what are expecting for?
The analytic sound point of view, these all things are non-sense?
Because there are lot expensive SS amp with SS dac to generate high fidelity electrical number like THD, IMD, or etc.

I think we seek some personal taste which is largely agreeable to small set of people who are gather together in this thread
biggrin.gif
For one example, cost (Lyr + Siemens tube) >> Mjolnir is justified by some of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back