Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #6,181 of 8,735
Quote:
Now a proud owner of a Lyr! First thing I did was to put in my Amperex Orange Globes and started listening! Although, when I first plugged my LCD2s in I could hear a very loud static noise (like sizzling bacon I guess?) when putting on my LCD2's in the left cup. I thought it was the headphones so I rearranged the tubes around, then the static noise came back again on the right side! Is it possible the tubes are damaged in some kind or way or do I have to "burn it in"?

Bummer cause they sounded really nice... And I just got them too :frowning2:

generally... if you had noise in the left ear, flipped the valves and now have noise in the right ear, you've got a valve with a problem.
I've heard bacon before and it has sizzled out.... once.  give it some time.  let them cook overnight.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6,182 of 8,735
The real reason that gold is used in electrical connectors of any kind is that it is very resistant to corrosion.  Corrosion on connectors can be one of the biggest causes of intermittent problems and noise in electronic components.  Gold does conduct electricity much better than tin, but so does copper...

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #6,183 of 8,735
Quote:
The real reason that gold is used in electrical connectors of any kind is that it is very resistant to corrosion.  Corrosion on connectors can be one of the biggest causes of intermittent problems and noise in electronic components.  Gold does conduct electricity much better than tin, but so does copper...

You are so right.
That is far more important.  missed that one.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6,184 of 8,735
For a similar signature with more warmth i find the Phillips PCC189's fit the bill, i posted about them a few pages back, but essentially it's like the Siemens but with more bass impact, maybe slightly narrower soundstage but still quite wide, and the treble is nice and smooth but still detailed.

The ones i have were made by Mullard, Blackburn and seem impossible to get on Ebay at the moment, but these Holland made Phillips PCC189's appear to be identical construction from what i can tell and at only $6.95 per tube should be an absolute steel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-PCC189-7ES8-NOS-NIB-VINTAGE-VACUUM-TUBE-HEERLEN-HOLLAND-/261186327538?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3ccfeb13f2

Only 4 tubes / 2 pairs left though.

*EDIT* i think i'm gonna go find some cheap Telefunkens and Amperex's on payday, obscure ones again like PCC189 or ECC85's

bah. I spent my money on an iPad and Nexus. dammit. I could have had a great set of valves.

Also I forgot to mention the treble on the seimens is great. Smooth but still detailed. I have to guess the wideness of the soundstage is a trade-off to impact. Is there a tube that can do it all?

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #6,185 of 8,735
Quote:
bah. I spent my money on an iPad and Nexus. dammit. I could have had a great set of valves.

Also I forgot to mention the treble on the seimens is great. Smooth but still detailed. I have to guess the wideness of the soundstage is a trade-off to impact. Is there a tube that can do it all?

yah me too

except i spent mine on 50yr old single malt and loose women

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #6,187 of 8,735
Quote:
yah me too

except i spent mine on 50yr old single malt and loose women

Now THAT'S a good investment!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #6,188 of 8,735
I got my Siemens PCC189 backup tubes today and they seem to be of different construction.

This was the first batch: Tri-mica, and halo getter is it? or O getter? i don't know much about getters.

And this was 2nd batch: A-frame dimple getter?

Upon first listen of the second set of tubes (A frame type ones) the sound seems a bit different, i think they're deffinately warmer, and soundstage is bigger, detail seems better and treble a bit more sparkly, mids seem to have some weight to them.

They've not burned in yet, but i hope the sound doesn't change drastically with burn in, these are awesome tubes, if you've ordered these i think it's deffinitely the 2nd type you should be hoping to receive.

Anyone know what plant/country i can find out these were made? also what year and other stuff?

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #6,189 of 8,735
Quote:
I got my Siemens PCC189 backup tubes today and they seem to be of different construction.

This was the first batch: Tri-mica, and halo getter is it? or O getter? i don't know much about getters.

Upon first listen of the second set of tubes (A frame type ones) the sound seems a bit different, i think they're deffinately warmer, and soundstage is bigger, detail seems better and treble a bit more sparkly, mids seem to have some weight to them.

They've not burned in yet, but i hope the sound doesn't change drastically with burn in, these are awesome tubes, if you've ordered these i think it's deffinitely the 2nd type you should be hoping to receive.

Anyone know what plant/country i can find out these were made? also what year and other stuff?

1st picture is "O" getter with silver shields so made in 1970s.

2nd picture has code "378" so could be 1978. A frames were made in the 1970s era.

do your tubes have the " =\=" etching?
Real German made Siemens have that marking.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #6,190 of 8,735
I can't see any etching anywhere, but on the A frame ones they have something else faintly on the glass.

IPA

or

IPA
08A

can't quite make it out.

Wherever they were made, the A frame ones sound fantastic.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #6,191 of 8,735
Quote:

I wonder which one I will get?, the picture on ebay corresponds with the 1st one.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #6,192 of 8,735
Quote:
I wonder which one I will get?, the picture on ebay corresponds with the 1st one.

When i got the 2nd ones it was from the same seller who was using the picture of the first ones. Seller was rosmarie3878.

I bought the 2nd set on 28th march, so if you bought them on that day or after they might be the A frame ones.

Don't get me wrong, the first ones are amazing tubes, but the 2nd ones are even better.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #6,193 of 8,735
Quote:

When i got the 2nd ones it was from the same seller who was using the picture of the first ones. Seller was rosmarie3878.

I bought the 2nd set on 28th march, so if you bought them on that day or after they might be the A frame ones.

Don't get me wrong, the first ones are amazing tubes, but the 2nd ones are even better.

Thats where I got them from after the 28th we shall soon see:)

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #6,194 of 8,735
Can't wait to get them : - ) Ordered them too, on your recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back