Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6,106 of 8,735
In that case, I'd give it 20 hours.

Sent from my Android phone.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #6,107 of 8,735
What's the difference between these two items? Furthermore, they are from same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Matched-Pair-Siemens-70th-ECC88-6DJ8-6922-CV2492-E88CC-01-Cca-TUBES-/281080866655?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4171b9a75f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Matched-Pair-H-P-MLUUARD-A-Frame-ECC88-6DJ8-E88CC-6922-CV2492-Cca-TUBES-/271175276100?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f234e5644

And this item too?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mullard-e88cc-CV2492-goldpin-/271181223746?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f23a91742&autorefresh=true

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #6,108 of 8,735
The two top ones are not the same at all.

The Siemens first tube has no writing on it and a halo getter. (Ed. I can't tell from the markings if this is a Siemens or not, I am not a master at visually IDing tubes yet.)

The second one is a Mullard A-Frame made for Hewlett Packard.

The third one is a Mullard E88CC.

If you want a generic description of the sound of these tube types check out any of the huge number of links provided throughout the thread.  Here are some to get you started:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html
http://www.audiotubes.com/

Do some reading and see.   It's better not to ask an open ended question like the one you posed, when you ask "what is the difference between these tubes, they come from the same dealer" it's like going to a used car lot and asking "whats the difference between these cars, the same sweaty fat man with no morals is trying to sell one to me."   It is a real case of needing to do your homework and maintaining your skepticism even here when people praise tubes.   The same tube that does great for one person may totally suck for you, and with the amount of $$ these things cost, it pays to educate yourself and not just rely on the board to help you.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #6,109 of 8,735
Thanks for your pointers and providing the links.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #6,110 of 8,735
Thanks for your pointers and providing the links.

You are welcome, and I sure hope that you don't feel like I was being rude or mean. I just want you to find the best option for you, and unfortunately that means you'll have to do a lot of homework. It's fun stuff though :D

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #6,111 of 8,735
No worries. I understand your intentions. I just want to play around with tubes and Lyr before finally settling on a solid state amp (currently I have Burson Soloist in mind) a few months later or end  of the year, probably.  I would like to try some affordable pairs and appreciate the change in sound brought about by them. Not aiming for anything more than 100 dollar. I am thinking even $100 is huge enough for me.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #6,112 of 8,735
Quote:
What's the difference between these two items? Furthermore, they are from same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Matched-Pair-Siemens-70th-ECC88-6DJ8-6922-CV2492-E88CC-01-Cca-TUBES-/281080866655?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4171b9a75f

If these are in fact Siemens, they're newer 70's type. Can be seen by the thin stick that holds up the getter. The older ones use a heavier made shaft, which I've found out the hard way is what we should look for. The newer ones are a bit high and shrieky. Mine haven't calmed down yet and wondering if break in will ever do it. Siemens do have a better sound stage than any other tube I've tried. IMHO, YMMV

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #6,113 of 8,735
Hello, I decided not to bother reading all the previous posts.
Can anyone summarize what are the best tubes for this amp? Thank you :D

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #6,114 of 8,735
Quote:

+1

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #6,115 of 8,735
Quote:

In no particular order, these would be the most popular/sought after.

Mullard E88CC gold pins
Valvo E88CC red label
Valvo CCa
Siemens CCa
Siemens E88CC grey shield
Amperex orange globe
Telefunken E88CC
Lorenz PCC88 (original stuttgart, unobtanium)

Probably some i've missed but they should get you started if you want top dollar tubes.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #6,116 of 8,735
Quote:

:) I get it.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #6,117 of 8,735
Quote:

Don't confuse warm up with burn in (or run in).

Tubes should be warmed up in about ten minutes.  But the sound signature will change over time until it reaches a somewhat final state.  Exactly when this happens is subject to some debate.  Did you get the GEs or the JJs?

i was surprised to find that it is only 11 seconds. at least that is the warm-up time stated for the heaters in the specification for a 6bn8.  while the 6bn8 is not compatible with a lyr they have the same 6.3V heater specification.  it could take longer for the cathode to reach a temp where it begins to emit electrons.  it that is the case why bother with a heater spec because it would mean nothing.   regardless, with this spec it would be far shorter than 10 minutes.  again, i was surprised to find this factoid.  just say'n

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b04l50w2dydl11q/4SZUWYVv-2

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #6,118 of 8,735
Quote:

The differences can be significant, yes.  Significant enough to justify the expense is truly in the eye of the beholder though.   I found a difference worth almost $400 in the Telefunken 6922, they are perfect to me.  I found a difference in the Amperex 7308s that was worth $200 to me.   It was worth that to me because my music took on a different character with these tubes vs. stock.

I think this thread's size doesn't necessarily indicate the difference in quality of various tubes.  Rather, it probably illustrates some genuinely interesting reading, a lot of great recommendations and descriptions, some less than great recommendations and descriptions and a fair number of people on either side of the question of degree of difference fighting amongst themselves.

Anyway, it's a fun thread and a great resource but like everything else audio related your ears as the listener are the only ears that really count.   Take people's recommendations of course, but you're going to have to experiment with these tubes yourself for the most part to see what you like.  Hopefully you have some friends where you live that share your hobby so you can swap tubes with them and try different things, or go to a meet when there's one in your area and find your fellow tube nuts :)   I think $100 should land you some great tubes.   I would look for Brimar/Ediswan or Mullard CV2492 tubes in that price range.   They are excellent, last a good while and have a very nice warm and liquid sound.

Thanks for an excellent summary.
Telefuken 6922 = Telefuken E88CC 6922 Siemans 60s ?
Based on your statement for evaluation, I am after " Telefuken E88CC 6922 Siemans 60s".

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #6,119 of 8,735
Quote:
i was surprised to find that it is only 11 seconds. at least that is the warm-up time stated for the heaters in the specification for a 6bn8.  while the 6bn8 is not compatible with a lyr they have the same 6.3V heater specification.  it could take longer for the cathode to reach a temp where it begins to emit electrons.  it that is the case why bother with a heater spec because it would mean nothing.   regardless, with this spec it would be far shorter than 10 minutes.  again, i was surprised to find this factoid.  just say'n

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b04l50w2dydl11q/4SZUWYVv-2

There is more to"warming up" than just the cathode heater coming up to temp.

I can remember sitting in front of a TV set that was all tube, waiting for it to warm up so we could watch our favorite cartoons.  All of those metal structures inside that glass envelope will expand as they heat up, and that will change the operating characteristics of the tube.

There's no doubt that you will be able to start playing music through your Lyr almost immediately, but the SQ will change as the tubes warm up.  Some people say that this requires more than ten minutes.  But I think that 10 minutes is at least sufficient.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #6,120 of 8,735
I always give my tube equipment 30 minutes to warm up. Most of my tubes are older than me and I am just 65.
I think I'm ready to try some Siemens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back