Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #5,222 of 8,735
I can't really give you an opinion because I don't have a Valhalla.
There's the "Lyr" word again.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,223 of 8,735
Quote:
Vr5 *60 USA is the only markings I can find on them

The "VR5"  is the valve type
Most are "VR 7 or 9"   I have to look.
The "5" might be a JAN designation.....

That's the code that say's it's a 9 pin base and a 6.3V heater....  pretty sure.

Top line is a "Star" "7" "E"

"Star" is the New York Amperex factory
"7" is 1967
"E" is May

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #5,224 of 8,735
Quote:

I am very partial to Tubemonger tube saver / Extenders.

I looked at the other sock widget and I worried that it might smudge the labels.
With the extenders I can change a tube in seconds without hurting the pins or the sockets.

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm

wow i should consider this. it seems to handy!

Quote:

Hopefully this will help track one down... http://www.ehx.com/dealers  Has a drop down list of world wide dealers. Are you Military?

Hey i tried looking within my area, they do not carry the sleeve sadly. However they do carry some amps :D! I should definitely check them out.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #5,225 of 8,735
Quote:
wow i should consider this. it seems to handy!

Hey i tried looking within my area, they do not carry the sleeve sadly. However they do carry some amps :D! I should definitely check them out.

I can't express how much I love those little guys.
You can line up the pins easy.
You have much better control of the pressure applied to the tube when rocking them out and pressing them back in.

When you take a tube off the extender it, the extender, rocks out a bit.  Important.  press it back into place with your finger before inserting the tube into the extender. Do not align the extender with the tube.

I have had zero problems with these.  No noise, what have you.  In fact mine we 2nd's that tubemonger had at one time for $10 off.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #5,226 of 8,735
Quote:
If you  want sparkle and fast look for a Amperex JAN 7308 Gold Pin (USA) they sound exactly like what you seek. I also own the EF-5, (upgraded OPA) and i find the 7308s tend to make the Lyr sound like a more dynamic EF-5.

Hey Fearless1 thank you for your advice !

With stock tubes I feel I just lose clarity and speed comparing to EF5, but there is amazing soundstage, separation of musical plans, something like 3D, more coherent image combined with amazing power on Lyr

Great to know you have been listening to EF5 and you can advice tubes that sound signature can bring Lyr closer to EF5 (I would stay with EF5 if it had more power, but for he4 it was just not enough and had to find something more powerful)

But from my first rolling experience I can tell tubes are critical in Lyr

btw. Is schiit crazy to leave no room to grip the tubes in order to swap them ???? they sit so deep, there is great possibility to damage tubes or sockets trying to remove tubes, I mean come on what is this ? crap for me, total crap ;(

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #5,227 of 8,735
Quote:

btw. Is schiit crazy to leave no room to grip the tubes in order to swap them ???? they sit so deep, there is great possibility to damage tubes or sockets trying to remove tubes, I mean come on what is this ? crap for me, total crap ;(

Rocking the tubes back and forth to get them out is not very difficult. Show some restraint and you won't end up with shattered tubes. 
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #5,228 of 8,735
Quote:
Rocking the tubes back and forth to get them out is not very difficult. Show some restraint and you won't end up with shattered tubes. 
tongue.gif

that's how I do it ... :)

but you have to admit this is some kind of misunderstanding having in mind future tube rolling

I had many tube amps before and there were no problems at all

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #5,229 of 8,735
Quote:
that's how I do it ... :)

but you have to admit this is some kind of misunderstanding having in mind future tube rolling

I had many tube amps before and there were no problems at all

I don't see the misunderstanding. If you get the socket savers it makes rollin' even easier. However I had no difficulties rolling them without.

Maybe with Valhalla and Asgard having their second iterations, Lyr will iterate to an even easier rollable design. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #5,231 of 8,735
Quote:

Tape is your friend.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #5,232 of 8,735

I discovered recently how handy this type of gardening glove is, for handling tubes -- when they fit the hand right, it's like a second skin, and they grip tubes so nicely. It's very easy to stay clear of the labels and still get a crazy amount of grip. Plus, your tubes stay clean.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #5,233 of 8,735
I use surgical gloves.. pretty cheap and works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back