Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4,471 of 8,735
Quote:
The Lyr may drive the HE-6 but does not define nearly its potential.  It's a night and day headphone when hooked up to a Mjolnir IMO in terms of the low end and the clarity/sound stage it opens.  My LCD-2 is on the way (going to be used for a transportable rig) so I can't comment on that, but from what I've heard on the LCD-3 and how people describe the differences, I think you'll be very happy with the LCD-2 in combination with the Lyr.  However, I want to throw a wrench in there.....and that's the HE-500 pairing with the Lyr.  IMO this combination really has great synergy and it's my go to headphone with the Lyr out of my assortment.  The remaining I prefer on the Mjolnir most the times unless I'm listening to some vocals that I prefer the "tube" sounds with.....the HD800 these days I don't prefer all that much.....as I mentioned before, too brutal and revealing and fatigues the listener without engaging them with the warmth/low end LCD-3/HE-500/HE-6 does.  I bet these HD800 would work great in a studio when you're trying to be analytical all day....but it doesn't give me much enjoyment.  IMO Iamnothim you should really be looking at the HE-500 or the LCD-2 for the Lyr.

Would you say that the HE-500 sounds better than the HE-6 on the Lyr?

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4,472 of 8,735
Quote:
Would you say that the HE-500 sounds better than the HE-6 on the Lyr?

Interesting question, I haven't A B'ed them on the Lyr so I'd have to test to find out.  To tell the truth, the HE-6 has never been back to the Lyr ever since I listened to it for 10 minutes on a couple songs and hooked it up afterwards to a Mjolnir for the same songs....the difference in low end punch, details/clarity, and stage is just night and day IMO.....and I'm chalking this to the power the HE-6 really needs.  If I have the time to do so, I'll try to A/B them on the Lyr and report back....but I really enjoy the HE-500 with the Lyr for all genres, it's really a great set of cans for the $$.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4,473 of 8,735
Quote:

Interesting question, I haven't A B'ed them on the Lyr so I'd have to test to find out.  To tell the truth, the HE-6 has never been back to the Lyr ever since I listened to it for 10 minutes on a couple songs and hooked it up afterwards to a Mjolnir for the same songs....the difference in low end punch, details/clarity, and stage is just night and day IMO.....and I'm chalking this to the power the HE-6 really needs.  If I have the time to do so, I'll try to A/B them on the Lyr and report back....but I really enjoy the HE-500 with the Lyr for all genres, it's really a great set of cans for the $$.

Oh no... There goes the thread....  I just read your post and did a price check on aisle 9.
I thought the HE 500's were the same price as the LCD2's   Fact they're $300 cheaper... dang  money again.
Do you have an opinion on HE-500 v LCD-2's on the Lyr.....  with nice tubes?
Comfort is a big factor with me. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4,474 of 8,735
So I got these socket extenders in the mail today; they were only like $6.00 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290810228403?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I figured I didn't need to spend $50. or whatever on vibration reduction ones from Tube Monger. 

I do dig the look and ease of access. The Lyr chassis does seem to run a bit cooler too:

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #4,475 of 8,735
Quote:
So I got these socket extenders in the mail today; they were only like $6.00 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290810228403?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I figured I didn't need to spend $50. or whatever on vibration reduction ones from Tube Monger. 

I do dig the look and ease of access. The Lyr chassis does seem to run a bit cooler too:

I just rolled back to my Bugle Boys 30 minutes ago and marveled what a great time saver they were.

btw:  Just ordered my Audeze LCD2's    Stoked.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4,476 of 8,735
I bought the B stock from tubemonger and spent $30 and I'm happy. I like how smooth they slide in and subsequently out from the tubes. Certainly worth the money!!

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #4,478 of 8,735
Oh heck yeah!! Listening to them right now brother. They are very very nice with the hd650 and maybe even a breath better with the maddogs. I missed out on the Amperex Orange Globes even though I'd put in a bid on them. So I sent the guy an email an he offered me an even nicer pair of Orange Globes like "new" 1968 which happens to be my lucky year. He's says that these test off the charts, so I'm super stoked to give these a try. 
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #4,479 of 8,735
This review will be very weak due to my inexperience and ability to articulate sound.
Schiit Lyr, Schiit Bifrost, Sennheizer HD650, stock cable.

Stock:
GE 6BZ7
Duration: 20 hours

1st Valve:
AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER
$60
Duration: 32 hours

2nd Valve:
AMPEREX BUGLE BOY 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1962 O GETTER$60
Duration: 20 hours

3rd Valve:
$260
AMPEREX USN-CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1965
Duration: 70 hours

Total hours on HD650:  142 hours

As a total noob I unboxed my new gear, started listening and I was very happy.  Sounded fine, I had nothing to compare it to.  I had been aware of the practice of tube rolling for years, so I set about getting new valves (trying to sound like I know something) straight away.  The Orange Globes.

The difference was astounding.  It sounded like the musicality doubled.  A noticeably better sound stage.  Very smooth, beautiful.   I ordered "Bugle Boys" because the name sounded cool.

The BB's were a disappointment.  I felt they were narrow and not nearly as mellow.  Note: the OG's had a very defined mellow.  But the BB's were harder to listen to.  Another Flier posted that they pair up well with HD800's   I immediately upped the ante and ordered the  Amprex USA's

In between I sent the Orange Globes out on loan.  So I was only listening to the BB's when the USA's arrived.  The white label Amprex came in.  It was a similar experience going from stock to Orange.  Much more musical, much wider, a lot of definition.  70 hours pass until today.

I decided I need to roll-back to the Bugle Boys. They started off sounding fine.  I thought they we just different, but not long after I felt like they were narrow and then difficult to listen to.
I switched back to the USA's and I am presently ensconced in musical nirvana.

I should have the OG's back soon and I promise to make a more detailed back and forth study because I found the OG's very pleasant.  At the moment, there's a reason they cost $260.  

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #4,480 of 8,735
I may as well post my impressions too since I've been listening to your Orange Globes for the past week or so. I'm sending them back to you tomorrow :)

I run the Bifrost/Lry with the Audeze LCD2s as well as Audioengine A5+ powered speakers.

I like the Orange Globes quite a bit compared with the stock GE 6BZ7. They sound a lot smoother for sure and just have a really nice detailed sound that never seems to sound grating or harsh, even at fairly high volume. They also seem well balanced across the frequency spectrum ie., they don't seem to favor the bass, mids, or highs, they are simply quite even across the frequency range.  

Schiit 61NP matched pair - I also like these over the GE 6BZ7. While they don't have as wide a soundstage as the Orange Globes or the 6BZ7, they seem to excel at midrange. They have a great midrange accentuation so they are great for vocals. They do give a bit of a closed-in type of sound however and also run hotter but vocals seem pretty amazing on these. 

If I was going to stick with one set for now, it would be the Orange Globes. I have yet to try any Mullards but I think that is next on my list though. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #4,481 of 8,735
Quote:
That's just the way Scary is-he means no harm,or disrespect
Mr.Scary is probably one of the most knowleable senior members on the forum,and he really knows his tubes..
I have bought some of my finest tubes from him,at prices ,that most people would consider a gift.

His delivery,well,can be a little direct-that's all..

There are a few folks like that who hover in the background... 
wink_face.gif

Some less..."vocally charming" than others...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #4,482 of 8,735
Quote:
wink_face.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hi HK,

Good to see your post..
Yeah,gotta watch out for those ....HOVERS !!--They can be dangerous

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #4,483 of 8,735
^^^^^^^ Bunch of sissy-boy lala nice guys! 
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #4,484 of 8,735
Quote:
wink_face.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

So...where is the Oracle of all things Valve?
His minions are clamoring. (I'm minion #7785)
He's like Puxatony Phil

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #4,485 of 8,735
Quote:
So...where is the Oracle of all things Valve?
His minions are clamoring. (I'm minion #7785)
He's like Puxatony Phil

Or how about the ominous Misterrogers. A real sinister Wizard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back