Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,382 of 8,735
I have now listened to the Amperex Orange Globes tubes from 1969 for a couple of days and I must say they are amazing.

I got them from mercedesman6572 on eBay.

My audio chain: FLAC -> Asus Xonar Essence ST RCA -> Schiit Lyr -> Toxic Cable 10ft OCC Cryo Silver/Copper -> Audeze LCD-2

I am comparing them to the stock GE 6BZ7 and the JJ E88CC.
My thoughts mirror the impressions that Iamnothim wrote earlier in this thread.

The first impressions I had were actually quite negative. The mids seemed thin and the treble was downright harsh. I was really hoping that burning them in would improve them. I let them burn in for just over 30 hours and boy was I in for a surprise.

For only 60 bucks, they were a steal. Not only do they add an entirely new layer of detail, they also shaped both the treble and the bass right up. The mids also seem more ... uhhhh.... betterer. Vocals seem a whole lot more real, as if the singer is right in the room with you. Usually people go on about feeling the need to listen to all their music again with even the tiniest upgrades. I did not do that, but I did however, listen to all my Pink Floyd albums again. For some reason, while it may be psychological, the difference seemed to be biggest with their albums. The song that stood out to me the most is "Mother" from The Wall. It seemed like the entire band was right in front of me.

These tubes have added a new level of enjoyment to music for me. They are sold out where I purchased them from, but if you find them anywhere else, buy them. They go quick.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #4,383 of 8,735
Quote:
I have now listened to the Amperex Orange Globes tubes from 1969 for a couple of days and I must say they are amazing.

I got them from mercedesman6572 on eBay.

My audio chain: FLAC -> Asus Xonar Essence ST RCA -> Schiit Lyr -> Toxic Cable 10ft OCC Cryo Silver/Copper -> Audeze LCD-2

I am comparing them to the stock GE 6BZ7 and the JJ E88CC.
My thoughts mirror the impressions that Iamnothim wrote earlier in this thread.

The first impressions I had were actually quite negative. The mids seemed thin and the treble was downright harsh. I was really hoping that burning them in would improve them. I let them burn in for just over 30 hours and boy was I in for a surprise.

For only 60 bucks, they were a steal. Not only do they add an entirely new layer of detail, they also shaped both the treble and the bass right up. The mids also seem more ... uhhhh.... betterer. Vocals seem a whole lot more real, as if the singer is right in the room with you. Usually people go on about feeling the need to listen to all their music again with even the tiniest upgrades. I did not do that, but I did however, listen to all my Pink Floyd albums again. For some reason, while it may be psychological, the difference seemed to be biggest with their albums. The song that stood out to me the most is "Mother" from The Wall. It seemed like the entire band was right in front of me.

These tubes have added a new level of enjoyment to music for me. They are sold out where I purchased them from, but if you find them anywhere else, buy them. They go quick.

L3000.gif

eBay store..Tubehunter....
L3000.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #4,384 of 8,735
I've found another tube-type that works in the Lyr: PCC85 and it's substitute, the ECC85. I bought some Telefunken PCC85's for about $25 a tube off of ebay just to test them out. And, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they sound almost as good as the E288CC's that I love so much. I think that these are the best "budget" tubes for the Lyr. There are loads of them for sale online at pretty reasonable prices. Sound great with rock, pop, and jazz recordings.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #4,386 of 8,735
OK, you got me, price is right. Just ordered a pair of AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER
Been without my Lyr for a couple of weeks as it's in the shop getting the relay installed. I've been running with stock GE 's and have been pretty happy with them. Also have the Amperex PQ A-Frames, some Matsu and Mullard E88CC/6922. Should keep me happy for a while!

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4,388 of 8,735
Ohhh my you guys are stouting the Amperex Oran as good sounding tubes?... dear  they sound ok but pale in comparison to just about anything but he bottom of the barrel..
This thread has gone to hell....

Glad I was active when we really had a consensus on what good was... god you guys need help

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #4,389 of 8,735
OK, you got me, price is right. Just ordered a pair of AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER

Been without my Lyr for a couple of weeks as it's in the shop getting the relay 
installed. I've been running with stock GE 's and have been pretty happy with them. Also have the Amperex PQ A-Frames, some Matsu and Mullard E88CC/6922. Should keep me happy for a while!
I think you'll be happy

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #4,390 of 8,735
Would you recommend the Orange over the PQ? 

PQ is "Premium Quality". SQ is "Special Quality". I have not heard either but I am under the impression they are better than Orange or Bugle Boys. They are all going to sound different. You get into the long green when you find pinched waist D getters
Orange over stock for $60. a good value

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #4,391 of 8,735
Quote:
PQ is "Premium Quality". SQ is "Special Quality". I have not heard either but I am under the impression they are better than Orange or Bugle Boys. They are all going to sound different. You get into the long green when you find pinched waist D getters
Orange over stock for $60. a good value

Thanks, I am currently using Telefunken ECC88 1960 Diamond Bottom and I really like them. Just looking for some options down the road if I decide to try something else. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #4,392 of 8,735
Anyone know of good tubes for the Lyr that would go well with Dance/Electronica and other fast bass punchy music? Would like something that could at least enhance the bass a good amount without having to turn the headphones quite loud to have the bass to my liking.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #4,393 of 8,735
Quote:
Anyone know of good tubes for the Lyr that would go well with Dance/Electronica and other fast bass punchy music? Would like something that could at least enhance the bass a good amount without having to turn the headphones quite loud to have the bass to my liking.

There are others far more qualified. ..
I'm thinking something very clean and crisp.
Not a Mullard and not an Orange Globe.  Perhaps a Bugle Boy.
My Amprex USA's have plenty of bass.....  I'll queue up something near your genre.

My suspicions are Telefunken, but I've never listened to them.
Either that or a 100% SS amp.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #4,394 of 8,735
Quote:

I played The Police Synchronicity.

The tube are doing a great job with the fast continuous percussion. 
It's all there the deep base as well as symbols.

Keep in mind these are expensive tubes.
I have some Bugle Boys I can roll in if you like.  They're about $60 a pair.

So far, I only have Amprex. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #4,395 of 8,735
Quote:
Been without my Lyr for a couple of weeks as it's in the shop getting the relay installed. I've been running with stock GE 's and have been pretty happy with them. Also have the Amperex PQ A-Frames, some Matsu and Mullard E88CC/6922. Should keep me happy for a while!

I'd be interested to learn how the orange globes sound compared to the Mullards. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back