Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #4,216 of 8,735
Quote:
Ah, you dont' have to worry about 2-mica or 3-mica with the Lorenz SEL. The 2-mica and 3-mica variants are the Lorenz Stuttgart.

so Lorenz SEL sound same as 2-mica and 3-mica variants or they are no good?

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #4,217 of 8,735
Quote:

so Lorenz SEL sound same as 2-mica and 3-mica variants or they are no good?

No the Lorenz SEL sounds "inferior" to the 2-mica and 3-mica varaints.

The Lorenz Stuttgart 2-mica and 3-mica's are pretty hard to find. Usually you'll only
get a pair from a fellow Head-Fi'er.

The Lorenz SEL are lower end tubes, but I've heard good things about them.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #4,218 of 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No the Lorenz SEL sounds "inferior" to the 2-mica and 3-mica varaints.

The Lorenz Stuttgart 2-mica and 3-mica's are pretty hard to find. Usually you'll only
get a pair from a fellow Head-Fi'er.

The Lorenz SEL are lower end tubes, but I've heard good things about them.

Thanks, I will let it pass and keep hunting for Lorenz Stuttgart 3-mica

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #4,220 of 8,735
Quote:

Just make sure to avoid the ones on the FS forums.

confused.gif
 then how should I go about it...sending lot of PM's should only other option.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #4,221 of 8,735
Quote:
confused.gif
 then how should I go about it...sending lot of PM's should only other option.

He was just being EVIL. 

See his interest: 
Cynicism
Misanthropy
Gluttony
Sloth

What he does: Delete the internet

Steer clear of him, he be bad.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #4,222 of 8,735
Oct 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #4,223 of 8,735
Forgive my ignorance regarding tubes, but is there a way to easily identify if a "vintage" or "NOS" tube is worth checking out? I have a big warehouse store of random crap that often has big boxes of old, often sealed, tubes but have no clue what to look for. I don't get to the store as much as I would like, but they always have quite a few different types and for real cheap.

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #4,224 of 8,735
IMO, search the thread by brand and type to see if anyone has a listening report (keeping in mind that the tube will flavor their system in addition to whatever components they have in their chain - a warm tube with slightly diminished highs may sound great with a higher-end Grado, but sound like crap with LCDr1s, or too harsh with a Bifrost but great with another DAC, etc.).

If you can't find a review and see the tube is compatible, PLUG IT IN AND LET US KNOW HOW IT SOUNDS (to you)! :)

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #4,225 of 8,735
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance regarding tubes, but is there a way to easily identify if a "vintage" or "NOS" tube is worth checking out? I have a big warehouse store of random crap that often has big boxes of old, often sealed, tubes but have no clue what to look for. I don't get to the store as much as I would like, but they always have quite a few different types and for real cheap.

Apart from just looking for specific brand, say, if you have a box full of Siemens it can be difficult because of how terrible they were with labeling
the damn tubes.But Usually the getters are a good indicator of identifying tubes.

And remember to use the correct tube variant the Lyr supports. Don't wanna hear any horror stories. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #4,228 of 8,735
Quote:
Luckily, no one else has discovered how glorious the E288cc tubes sound in the Lyr, which leaves plenty for me to hoard...

Also, which 288CCs? By whom?

Kojaku

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #4,230 of 8,735
A few months back, I splurged and bought some pricey Telefunken E288cc tubes. The results were awesome: crystal clarity and warmth that makes Mullards look weak. Bass and treble that are balanced completely. Makes electric guitar and vocals sound sinfully delicious. It's the "end game" tube for the Lyr.
Unfortunately, E288cc's are scarce and pricey. $150 a pair on up to $250/pair. But, if you can get them, the Lyr truly comes alive with them. Telefunkens are the best of the lot, though Siemens-Halskie made some interesting ones, too. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back