Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2,551 of 8,735
I'm not a Lyr user, but I do have some experience with some preamp tubes that Lyr can handle.  I've always been a fan of the Sylvania JAN 6DJ8.  They are very clear, smooth, and have low microphonics.  They are also very affordable.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,552 of 8,735
Just ordered a Lyra with 6BZ7 tubes and an extra set of 6N1P tubes to get started.  I don't want to buy a lot more tubes just to find "The One".  I have heard good things about the 6N23P and Matsu****a E88CC tubes.  I like a balanced sound with strong bass and I listen to mostly hard rock and edm.  Which of these tubes would be better for me? Are there others I should consider?  I really don't want to spend more than $100 for the pair and will be listening with lcd-3.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2,553 of 8,735

Quote:
Just ordered a Lyra with 6BZ7 tubes and an extra set of 6N1P tubes to get started.  I don't want to buy a lot more tubes just to find "The One".  I have heard good things about the 6N23P and Matsu****a E88CC tubes.  I like a balanced sound with strong bass and I listen to mostly hard rock and edm.  Which of these tubes would be better for me? Are there others I should consider?  I really don't want to spend more than $100 for the pair and will be listening with lcd-3.

I have a pair of 6n23p's that I use with my lcd2. The majority of the time I roll this tube is for rock music. I like the way this tube presents drums. They have decent low end, Sounds like a boost at 1k which makes the beater of kick more present. Mid highs to highs are prevalent (maybe slightly to much for my audio chain), regardless cymbals clean/clear. Soundstage is small but not as boxy as my other 6922 imo.

This may not be the "one" for you but is a nice alternative to the stock tubes imo. Does a nice job with rock at a pretty low price.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #2,554 of 8,735
Sounds good for what I need and the price isn't bad either.  Thanks for the input.  Anyone else have thoughts, I don't want to buy both if I don't have to........Yet.  If tube rolling is like the rest of this hobby I'm sure I'll buy more than I need and spend way to much money sooner or later.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #2,555 of 8,735
I was just wondering what the general consensus is on what are the best sounding 6BZ7/6BQ7A tubes? There are a lot of them (various GE's, RCA's, etc.) and they are very affordable. I hope that there is an obvious variety to try out, before I errantly purchase 10 random pairs on eBay. Most are not matched, but I assume that is the risk you run when purchasing $10/pair tubes.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #2,556 of 8,735
Is there any sort of consensus on a tube that brings out the best in the LCD-2 rev1? So maintaining the bass (although I don't mind a boost/enhancement) and creamy mids whilst giving the treble a bit more presence. Most people tend to agree now that the treble of the Rev.1 is shelved down?

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,557 of 8,735

Quote:
Is there any sort of consensus on a tube that brings out the best in the LCD-2 rev1? So maintaining the bass (although I don't mind a boost/enhancement) and creamy mids whilst giving the treble a bit more presence. Most people tend to agree now that the treble of the Rev.1 is shelved down?

The treble of the LCD-2.1 is indeed shelved down compared to many headphones, but the Siemens CCa in the Lyr add strong, tight bass, tremendous energy with the drums, larger soundstage, more air, and a very nice treble extension and details. They're not easy to find, and not cheap, but if you want to know how good your Lyr/LCD-2.1 combo can sound, they're a good starting point.
If you want to bring out the most of your LCD-2's treble, I also suggest you try other cables. Though I sold my LCD-2.1 before receiving the Q cables, they really improve my LCD-3's treble, much more than I expected, without any penalty to the bass (it's in fact tighter with the Qs). Since Both headphones share the same overall sound signature, I suppose they would do the same to the LCD-2.1.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,558 of 8,735
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't plan to change the cable again as I'm pretty happy with the DHC Macromolecule ergonomically although I dunno if it made any changes to the sound. I should imagine tubes will have a more noticeable effect on the sound. I will have a look at those Siemens ones. 

Currently using the stock 6BZ7 tubes. I intend to get a Bifrost at some point too, but for now I'm running it out of the Essence STX's DAC.

EDIT: Just seen those Siemens tubes going for £70 each on ebay.
eek.gif
frown.gif

Quote:
The treble of the LCD-2.1 is indeed shelved down compared to many headphones, but the Siemens CCa in the Lyr add strong, tight bass, tremendous energy with the drums, larger soundstage, more air, and a very nice treble extension and details. They're not easy to find, and not cheap, but if you want to know how good your Lyr/LCD-2.1 combo can sound, they're a good starting point.
If you want to bring out the most of your LCD-2's treble, I also suggest you try other cables. Though I sold my LCD-2.1 before receiving the Q cables, they really improve my LCD-3's treble, much more than I expected, without any penalty to the bass (it's in fact tighter with the Qs). Since Both headphones share the same overall sound signature, I suppose they would do the same to the LCD-2.1.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2,559 of 8,735
I'm just looking to get started in rolling some tubes in my new Lyr but wondered if anyone had suggestions for a decent tube with a low noise floor.  Currently using a Grado RS2i with the stock E88CC's with clearly audible hiss and looking to lower the noise floor a bit so it's at least not as noticeable, and unfamiliar with the different classes of compatible tubes to know which direction to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,560 of 8,735
Seahawk that's strange the newly made tube I have are dead quite and non microphonic, including the e88cc schiit sent with the amp. They would probably switch your pair out. If that doesn't fix it then it maybe coming from somewhere else in the chain.

French Chemist IMO the s&h cca is one of the most interesting how they could make a tube that sounds like you are in a concert hall is beyond me. However I feel like its too relaxed for the LCD2r1. It's like you sink into the music, which can be nice sometimes especially with classical and jazz.I find myself reaching for the k701 more often,since sound sig is more forward and bright. This just my opinion, ymmv etc.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,561 of 8,735
"Too relaxed" is certainly not how I would characterize the S&H CCa  with either LCD-2.1 or LCD-3
etysmile.gif
,  but it's true that, as their energy is not concentrated on the center of the soundstage as, for example, 6N1P, the might appear more relaxed. My Siemens E88CC sound more energetic than the CCa but not as airy and refined as the CCa: slightly "over the top" and messier to my ears. When it comes down to energy vs details & transparent sound, my vote is on the details, even for (hard) rock. I listen to a lot hard rock and metal and I never found that the drums lacked any impact with CCa and the LCD-2.1, but that's just my opinion.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,562 of 8,735
No doubt the Grado's are a bit more sensitive than the two cans you listed... Anyone using Grados with the Lyr not get any background hiss what-so-ever?  (Note - the background hiss is present with no input connected at all, and not affected by the volume control, and there's really not that much but can be heard during quiet passages).

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2,563 of 8,735

Quote:
I'm just looking to get started in rolling some tubes in my new Lyr but wondered if anyone had suggestions for a decent tube with a low noise floor.  Currently using a Grado RS2i with the stock E88CC's with clearly audible hiss and looking to lower the noise floor a bit so it's at least not as noticeable, and unfamiliar with the different classes of compatible tubes to know which direction to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I have the Lorenz gray shield. They are silent as far as I can tell but maybe I dont hear as good as you. If you stop by the meet on the 21st you can try for yourself. I would LOVE to hear your RS2i.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back