Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2,446 of 8,735
Reason Jason is saying No is because the PC88 is rated for a 7 volt Heater. The tubes are just not getting enough juice all in all the Lyr is setting the bias low to its 6volt Heater..

They work great and the Lorenz are some of the best sounding tubes so they work fine and do no harm to the Lyr as it sets the bias... In tube theory the tubes will just last longer

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #2,448 of 8,735
Reason Jason is saying No is because the PC88 is rated for a 7 volt Heater. The tubes are just not getting enough juice all in all the Lyr is setting the bias low to its 6volt Heater..
They work great and the Lorenz are some of the best sounding tubes so they work fine and do no harm to the Lyr as it sets the bias... In tube theory the tubes will just last longer

Thank you very much! Great to hear it. Most probably I will buy a pair of PCC.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2,449 of 8,735
I need help! Now I have a real opportunity to buy:

PCC88  Philips, made by Jugoslavia (Ei)  1970:s.
PCC88  Siemens, made by Simens & Halske.
PCC88  Colomor, East Germany, (only 4 pcs.)

Which will fit more to my system? I need tubes, that sound not brighter than my GEs, maybe even a little bit darker - that will be good. Do you know how they sound?
Thanks in advance.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,450 of 8,735

Which will fit more to my system? I need tubes, that sound not brighter than my GEs, maybe even a little bit darker - that will be good. Do you know how they sound?
Thanks in advance.

Only PC88's I have are the Lorenz so not sure I have thought about getting other PC88's but I already have enough tubes to last years so I think someone on here bought some other PC88's maybe they will speak up.
Im rarely around anymore as I already spent 8 months rolling tubes and spent a ton of money.. So I have retired I just am waiting for more Lorenz to show up hahaha

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #2,451 of 8,735
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak about the other two, but the Siemens PCC88s are good tubes!  The prevailing thought is to stay away from Eastern European tubes made in the 70s or later, but I have to admit that I really like the Tungsram PCC88s made in the 70s.  They're from Hungary (I believe).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #2,452 of 8,735
I rolled the http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm   this evening....

lower bass extension is good and punch is notable, balanced, though not as immersive as lorenz or other pcc88 imo   

mids are creamy and detailed with good vocal timbre, not as forward as lorenz but still very good. 

highs are seemingly relaxed.  

Overall i would call these 6922's a laid back tube, with good imaging and as said before "musical without being syrupy". Like a hd6xx sig. I like them and will keep them. 

Cheers ya'l crazy lyr rollers!  

M

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #2,453 of 8,735
I knew that PCC88 Siemens are from West Germany (1960's).
And have read about Philips PCC88 here: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Philips-PCC88-%7B47%7D-7DJ8.html And the review about them is really sweet
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #2,454 of 8,735
Quote:
I rolled the http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm   this evening....

lower bass extension is good and punch is notable, balanced, though not as immersive as lorenz or other pcc88 imo   

mids are creamy and detailed with good vocal timbre, not as forward as lorenz but still very good. 

highs are seemingly relaxed.  

Overall i would call these 6922's a laid back tube, with good imaging and as said before "musical without being syrupy". Like a hd6xx sig. I like them and will keep them. 

Cheers ya'l crazy lyr rollers!  

M

Of course they aren't the Lorenz...
wink_face.gif

But I think they do make a nice sounding tube for the Lyr.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2,455 of 8,735
^ Agreed

M

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2,457 of 8,735
Really? The tubes you found on eBay... were they Stuttgart or SEL? I'd give an arm and a leg for a pair of Stuttgart PCC88s...

Congrats on the tube dampers! I still have yet to receive mine, but how do yours improve the sound?
It seems that your dampers are UltraSonic Rx - I ordered the SS dampers because these are said to be specifically designed for small signal tubes like the ones in the Lyr.

Your Bifrost + Lyr combo looks real nice, but do you think it's a good idea to stack one on top of another?

Quote:
I managed to find another set of Lorenz PCC88s (made in the 50's) on ebay...  I got those, my Bifrost and Herbie's Audio Labs dampers all today.
Let's just say I am a happy camper!
biggrin.gif

My System!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2,458 of 8,735
My combo is stacked as well. I personally asked Jason at Schiit if it was ok to stack the lyr and bifrost and he said "stack away"

M

Edit:   Oh by the way.... Nice setup hk!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,459 of 8,735

Quote:
Really? The tubes you found on eBay... were they Stuttgart or SEL? I'd give an arm and a leg for a pair of Stuttgart PCC88s...

Congrats on the tube dampers! I still have yet to receive mine, but how do yours improve the sound?
It seems that your dampers are UltraSonic Rx - I ordered the SS dampers because these are said to be specifically designed for small signal tubes like the ones in the Lyr.

Your Bifrost + Lyr combo looks real nice, but do you think it's a good idea to stack one on top of another?

They aren't the SELs, they're the Stuttgart tubes made in the 50's.  I will keep an eye out for any more that are listed and let you guys know.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - There are no issues with stacking them. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #2,460 of 8,735
So I gots a question. I got what you could call a Christmas bonus. So I've got a little spending money. Here's what I've been thinking of...

S&H E88CC from tubemonger, or possibly the Amperex ones that cost a little more.

Herbie dampers for my mullards

Trying out an ALO cable for the LCD-2

Grabbing a Bifrost

Really not sure what I want to do. I've heard good things about the Siemens tubes, but I've been wanting to try an aftermarket cable for awhile... Or there's upgrading my DAC. I've got a HRT Music Streamer II, not sure how it compares to the Bifrost though.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back