Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2,416 of 8,735
@Vargtass - Congratulations. I find the Matsu' 6922s very, very good with my LCD2. They showed me the real potential of the Lyr. I will be interested in your impressions of them compared to the 6BZ7s!

@WNBC - speaking of Decware Taboo, after quite a wait (late August) my one is finally being built. What a tube-rolling journey that could be!

@Misterrogers et al. - you are lucky devils to have so many tubes to roll 
evil_smiley.gif
 Or should I say poor devils? 
biggrin.gif
 Or poor yet rich devils!!

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2,417 of 8,735
I hear that the stock Taboo tubes will serve you fine so maybe you won't be rolling as much.  I didn't know there was a long wait for this amp.  Good to know.  I'm waiting on the Schiit statement amp but my next choice would be the Taboo.

Quote:
@Vargtass - Congratulations. I find the Matsu' 6922s very, very good with my LCD2. They showed me the real potential of the Lyr. I will be interested in your impressions of them compared to the 6BZ7s!

@WNBC - speaking of Decware Taboo, after quite a wait (late August) my one is finally being built. What a tube-rolling journey that could be!

evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,418 of 8,735
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm definitely in that last category now...
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,419 of 8,735
Re Decware's amps my timing was bad - a lot of people ordered when I did. Judging by the list - clients get to generate a PDF on demand which shows where we are in the queue - those who ordered two months later are getting through the stages much faster.

And yes I am hopeful the stock tubes will be fine for the Taboo - cheers WNBC!

I realized recently I spent half as much again on tubes for the Lyr, and I've done very little rolling. I'm very happy with what I've got though: Siemens 6DJ8s from Mike, a pair of Amperex 6DJ8s from Adrian, and those Matsu' 6922s pointed out by Peter.
It's all thanks to this thread 
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,420 of 8,735
I just popped for a pair of these:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/rx.htm

I've heard good things about them and already received excellent customer service when Steve Herbelin (the owner) contacted me by phone to clarify an issue with my order...not five minutes after placing it.
More excellent service by a fine entrepreneur (and another guy named "Steve" 
wink_face.gif
).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,423 of 8,735

i got the isofeet and the rx's in last week and have really liked their effects so far. My lyr stopped with the loud internal hum/vibration and the rx have really reduced the low hum on my lorenz 3mica. As far as blacker blacks i think that maybe placebo

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,424 of 8,735
Wow, looks nice!  I never used dampers before today.  I got some cheap orange ones off ebay and I actually did notice a difference.  However, the dampers rubbed some of the ink off my Matsu*a 6922 tubes so I wanted to try the Rx's.  I've heard good things about them.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - I'll be selling a few more sets of tubes soon and will throw some of the orange dampers in with them.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2,426 of 8,735
Quote:
Hk how are you liking the lyr/lcd3 combo? Do the Lorenz still sound as great with the lcd3?

I like it a lot!  There are a lot of folks on the LCD-3 thread that think it's a tad warm...more like the LCD-2 v1, but where the treble sounded a bit veiled to me with the v1, the LCD-3 has no veil.  It doesn't emphasize the treble or bring it forward like the LCD-2 v2s, so it still sounds a little warmer than the LCD-2 v2 (which I don't think emphasized treble, but brought it forward...to me at least).

I still think the Lorenz are still the best sounding tubes with this combo, but I am discovering other fine sounding tubes as well.  Matsus**ta 6922s sound rather good, I discovered some Siemens Trimica PCC88s that sound excellent, then finally...believe it or not...Tungsram PCC88 tubes.  They all bring something to the table.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2,427 of 8,735
I love my rev1 so from your description im sure i would really dig the lcd3 as well. im trying to sell my car, so dont be surprised to see, trade my 92 bmw 735il for your lcd3 in the fs forum
wink_face.gif

I saw some siemens trimica pcc88 on ebay i might have to give them a second look

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2,428 of 8,735
     Quote:
I love my rev1 so from your description im sure i would really dig the lcd3 as well. im trying to sell my car, so dont be surprised to see, trade my 92 bmw 735il for your lcd3 in the fs forum
wink_face.gif

I saw some siemens trimica pcc88 on ebay i might have to give them a second look

What's the mileage? 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2,430 of 8,735
How set are we on socketsavers for the Lyr, by the way? Can't help but notice the tubes sit very far down into the chassis, making me wonder about how hard it will be to remove them and replace them. 

Then again, I read the horror-story about socketsavers frying all the tubes - don't want that either, obviously. 

So ... yey or ney on socketsavers? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back