Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #2,401 of 8,735
Thanks god I skipped the socket savers and i'm just plugging my tubes directly into Lyr...

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,402 of 8,735
After I made my point clear, finally Tubemonger decided to let me ship the socket back, and refunded me. The Siemens tube might have been due to my own mishandling, but that doesn't explain the static noise that I heard. Swapping the socket from left to right and right to left, the noise follows. And I tested it with the stock tubes of Lyr, which has been left unused. The test was done with RCA cable removed from the amp, removing any source issue.

I am not gonna badmouth them anymore, but personally this is quite the far-cry from the customer service I get from Schiit Audio. It's companies like Schiit Audio that I will still buy stuff from, 10yrs, 20yrs from now.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,403 of 8,735
That's good to hear.  I never had an issue with tubemonger, I had to return a pair of tubes once.  The impression I got was that a lot issues with tubes were coming from Lyr owners rather than other amps.  Whether or not it is due to the power of the Lyr I can't say.  However, the other side of the coin is that Lyr owners have purchased an uberly, awesome number of tubes from them as well.  I don't hear any static from my socketsaver so I will continue with them.  As soon as I hear something weird I'll pull the socket.

Quote:
After I made my point clear, finally Tubemonger decided to let me ship the socket back, and refunded me. The Siemens tube might have been due to my own mishandling, but that doesn't explain the static noise that I heard. Swapping the socket from left to right and right to left, the noise follows. And I tested it with the stock tubes of Lyr, which has been left unused. The test was done with RCA cable removed from the amp, removing any source issue.

I am not gonna badmouth them anymore, but personally this is quite the far-cry from the customer service I get from Schiit Audio. It's companies like Schiit Audio that I will still buy stuff from, 10yrs, 20yrs from now.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2,404 of 8,735
Glad to hear! I'm a bit surprised and your experience. I've found my dealings with Tubemonger to be solid and fair. Let's hope it's a blip on the radar.

Quote:

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #2,405 of 8,735
Yeah, I posted a little while back about them. They were fair enough. They offered to take my Mullards back but refused to exchange them for another set because I had an Lyr. Kinda annoyed me but with the offer to refund was fair enough. I didnt like them blaming my Lyr though when others have the same tube without an issue.

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,406 of 8,735
Were your Mullards from tubemonger noisy? I seem to remember many pages back people talking about it. I'm just curios because I have a pair of Mullards from tubemonger and they have developed a low hum. I can only hear it when there is no music playing so it doesn't really bother me. 

I just find it strange because they were dead quiet until I had this weird volume knob issue with my Lyr. When I'd touch the knob it would start buzzing until I either let go or laid my other hand on top of the amp. Some weird grounding issue. Jason told me to tighten the nut behind the knob, which did fix the buzzing. But then I noticed that my tubes were humming, stock JJ's were doing it too. And now one of them, the JJ's, has gone bad. When I adjust the volume I can hear the turning of the pot in the tube that's gone bad, switch sockets, the noise switches channels. And in an unrelated issue a tube or tubes in my bass amp have gone bad. Guess thanksgiving didn't extend to my tubes :p

So that's my tube tale. I know those stock JJ's are cheap so I'm not surprised that one has developed a problem. And even with the hum my Mullards are making, I still think the Lyr is sounding better than ever. Still thinking about trying the Siemens 6922's from tubemonger though. Curse this tube rolling thing!

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2,407 of 8,735
I've forgotten the detail, even though I think you posted their reply. What was it about the Lyr they had an issue with?

Quote:
Yeah, I posted a little while back about them. They were fair enough. They offered to take my Mullards back but refused to exchange them for another set because I had an Lyr. Kinda annoyed me but with the offer to refund was fair enough. I didnt like them blaming my Lyr though when others have the same tube without an issue.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #2,408 of 8,735
It's cold in here! My busty lyr is nippn out 
tongue_smile.gif
    Lorenz, so nice to see you excited under there...lol 

ahhhh man im a nerd...

M

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2,409 of 8,735

Quote:
I've forgotten the detail, even though I think you posted their reply. What was it about the Lyr they had an issue with?

I dont think they were specific other than to say that they had problems with only Lyr owners. But then also said and a couple other amps or something. Id have to check my email myself to remember. Im just guessing that most of the ones they sold were to Lyr owners for that run. They claimed that people had sent them back and they could not replicate the hum. I could clearly hear it on both my Lyr and my WA2 although it was more noticeable on the Lyr than the WA2.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,410 of 8,735
I also got a reply which indicated that my CV2493, which developed a bad hum and black/burnt tops, were the result of the Lyr rather than defective tubes.  I didn't put much stock in that because what could the Lyr be doing to these tubes that was different than other amps.  They were gracious enough to take them back even though they were not under any obligation.  We're talking about 40-50 year old tubes.  I'm more inclined to blame it on age rather than anything specific.  I have plenty of tubes and they seem to be fine in the Lyr.  

Quote:

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,411 of 8,735
Cheers guys.

My guess is that in part tubemonger got fooled by bad statistical reasoning. Assume there are more Lyrs being tube-rolled right now than any other amp, because (a) Lyrs are new on the block; (b) a lot of Lyrs got sold. Also assume Lyrs have nothing to do with tube failures, which occur at some "normal" rate.

At normal rates this will mean more failed tubes returned by Lyr owners, just because there are more Lyr owners and more tubes being rolled through them.

This could easily give tubemonger the idea Lyrs are the cause; especially as they almost certainly don't know how many are out there. If they knew this and ran the stats, they'd see the 'Lyr failure rate' is just the same more-or-less as any other amp. Heck, might even be less if the Lyr's a reliable, well-built amp that doesn't overstress its tubes. I suspect it is these things.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #2,412 of 8,735
I agree, the Lyr is a hybrid and the tubes give us the tube flavor rather than the complete tube picture as in the case of say the Decware Taboo tube amp.
If anything we need Tubemonger to find us more Lorenz, I'll never complain about those tubes 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Cheers guys.

My guess is that in part tubemonger got fooled by bad statistical reasoning. Assume there are more Lyrs being tube-rolled right now than any other amp, because (a) Lyrs are new on the block; (b) a lot of Lyrs got sold. Also assume Lyrs have nothing to do with tube failures, which occur at some "normal" rate.

At normal rates this will mean more failed tubes returned by Lyr owners, just because there are more Lyr owners and more tubes being rolled through them.

This could easily give tubemonger the idea Lyrs are the cause; especially as they almost certainly don't know how many are out there. If they knew this and ran the stats, they'd see the 'Lyr failure rate' is just the same more-or-less as any other amp. Heck, might even be less if the Lyr's a reliable, well-built amp that doesn't overstress its tubes. I suspect it is these things.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #2,413 of 8,735
Today I got my 1964 Amperex 7308. Let's just say they are quite something...the details that they present just astounded me. I will need more time to compare them, but I think as of now I might rank the Amperex ahead of the Valvo CCa.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2,414 of 8,735
Hey guys. 

Placed an order for a Lyr with GE 6BZ7 yesterday, to power my LCD-2's. Really looking forward to receiving it. 
Also ordered a matched pair of Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling after reading some of this thread. 

Also really considering a pair of matched [size=small]Genalex Gold Lion ECC88/6922 tubes[/size]

Now, I'm wondering if we're somehow able to sum up what sounds awesome in one post, or if it has been done already? 

When I owned the Head-Direct EF-1 there were a sort of matrix chart that explained and showcased the ... I think 8 or 10 best tubes for it, and using that matrix was a revelation for the ones of us that didn't really fit into the "expert" role (like me). 

I might read through this entire thread, but I guess I would be lying if I didn't at least hope for a quick and dirty recommendation thread with some different tubes in different price categories. 

Huge thanks to everyone that's participating so far, though. Great work - and I'm so looking forward to my Lyr and some good old tuberolling :)

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #2,415 of 8,735
I concur. I've really been enjoying early 60's Amperex (US) 7308's lately - actually the Holland ones are very nice too. Full round bass, very dynamic, lots of air. Adding silver IC's to my chain has me enjoying the 7308/E188CC family more.

Quote:
Today I got my 1964 Amperex 7308. Let's just say they are quite something...the details that they present just astounded me. I will need more time to compare them, but I think as of now I might rank the Amperex ahead of the Valvo CCa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back