Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2,326 of 8,735
^ha 

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #2,327 of 8,735
Wow....

I have tried three sets of matched pairs in my Lyr with a set of Audeze LCD2 r2's.

I hate to have to spend "hundreds of dollars" on tubes, new or old..if its not really necessary.

I got a set of GE 6BZ7's with the Lyr and bought a set of EH6922's from an internet soucre.

Bacsically I have been cycling in and out these two pairs for several months now...with good results...

Over the past months I am liking the GE 6BZ7's better than the 6922's...wasnt this way at first....hard to say if its just the different sound is appreciated more etc...when you go thru a change or swap.

Reading all you posts about these mega buck tubes but no wanting to pay for a set of tubes what the Lyr costs...well..

So ordered a set of tubes and spent and hour listening to specific albums and songs with the GE's then popped them out and put in the new tubes...let them warm up for 30 min or so and started listening to the same material.

WOW and WOW and more WOW....

I just can not bring myself to believe that these tubes are so different than the GE, which I think are superlative for low dollar tubes.

Well, all those adjectives used by so many people came to mind:

Soundstage, Imaging, Seperation, Accuracy, Tonality, Musicality, Dynamic, and 3 Dimensional.....oh gee.....

Kenny Rankin, Nora Jones, Sara K, Larry Carlton, Knofler and Emmy Lou Harris, Dutch Jazz Demos, Flim and the BB's, Diana Krall, Keiki Matsui (24 bit)... and on and on...

I did not want to take the cans off the experience was that good.

All the minute details, left, right and center stage were there in spades.....the sound of the reeds in the saxophpones, the perfect piano tones female voice...OMG Norah Jones like she was there!! (and I did get to see her in comcert front row center).

I have traded notes with Jason for some time about tube choices, gain of tubes and even his favorite choice....

I have discovered for a very low dollar amount the best overall presentation of the LYR paired with Audeze LCD2's to date that I have heard.

oh....you want to know what the tubes are....

Well they are a set of matched 6N1Ps  from Schiit Audio for a whopping price of $20.

Maybe I got lucky with a perfect pairing and match to the Lyr I have...but my goodness its so perfect.

Schiit uses a curve tracer to match tubes....

All the best!
Alex

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #2,328 of 8,735
      Quote:
Wow....

I have tried three sets of matched pairs in my Lyr with a set of Audeze LCD2 r2's.

I hate to have to spend "hundreds of dollars" on tubes, new or old..if its not really necessary.

I got a set of GE 6BZ7's with the Lyr and bought a set of EH6922's from an internet soucre.

Bacsically I have been cycling in and out these two pairs for several months now...with good results...

Over the past months I am liking the GE 6BZ7's better than the 6922's...wasnt this way at first....hard to say if its just the different sound is appreciated more etc...when you go thru a change or swap.

Reading all you posts about these mega buck tubes but no wanting to pay for a set of tubes what the Lyr costs...well..

So ordered a set of tubes and spent and hour listening to specific albums and songs with the GE's then popped them out and put in the new tubes...let them warm up for 30 min or so and started listening to the same material.

I just can not bring myself to believe that these tubes are so different than the GE, which I think are superlative for low dollar tubes.

Soundstage, Imaging, Seperation, Accuracy, Tonality, Musicality, Dynamic, and 3 Dimensional.....oh gee.....

Kenny Rankin, Nora Jones, Sara K, Larry Carlton, Knofler and Emmy Lou Harris, Dutch Jazz Demos, Flim and the BB's, Diana Krall, Keiki Matsui (24 bit)... and on and on...

All the minute details, left, right and center stage were there in spades.....the sound of the reeds in the saxophpones, the perfect piano tones female voice...OMG Norah Jones like she was there!! (and I did get to see her in comcert front row center).

I have traded notes with Jason for some time about tube choices, gain of tubes and even his favorite choice....

I have discovered for a very low dollar amount the best overall presentation of the LYR paired with Audeze LCD2's to date that I have heard.

Well they are a set of matched 6N1Ps  from Schiit Audio for a whopping price of $20.

Maybe I got lucky with a perfect pairing and match to the Lyr I have...but my goodness its so perfect.

All the best!
Alex

Sounds like a great experience!  While I do encourage rolling tubes to change the Lyr's sound signature, I've never felt I had to have the most expensive tubes out there, but I did want to see if there was some difference in sound that I might like with higher priced tubes.  The bottom line is...go with what you enjoy.  A lot of people like the 6N1Ps a lot (I had a set for a long while, myself).  Some of my favorite tubes cost less than $20, including some GE 6BZ7s and other brand 6DJ8s.  I am using some Japanese PCC88 tubes I got on ebay for $9 a tube.

Unless you get bitten by the tube rolling bug (which can get very expensive...as in $2300+ for me) you don't have to go crazy on cosmically expensive tubes.  Although I must admit it was cheap tubes that got me hooked on rolling in the first place.
wink_face.gif

Enjoy the 6N1Ps...it's money well spent.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,329 of 8,735

Quote:
      Quote:
Sounds like a great experience!  While I do encourage rolling tubes to change the Lyr's sound signature, I've never felt I had to have the most expensive tubes out there, but I did want to see if there was some difference in sound that I might like with higher priced tubes.  The bottom line is...go with what you enjoy.  A lot of people like the 6N1Ps a lot (I had a set for a long while, myself).  Some of my favorite tubes cost less than $20, including some GE 6BZ7s and other brand 6DJ8s.  I am using some Japanese PCC88 tubes I got on ebay for $9 a tube.

Unless you get bitten by the tube rolling bug (which can get very expensive...as in $2300+ for me) you don't have to go crazy on cosmically expensive tubes.  Although I must admit it was cheap tubes that got me hooked on rolling in the first place.
wink_face.gif

Enjoy the 6N1Ps...it's money well spent.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hehe, mine is only about $500 (maybe 600....), much less than yours. But I think after getting the Valvo CCa and Telefunken E88CC, I am done at least for now. Hmm...maybe I will get a pair of Siemens CCa, or some Amperex PQ tubes....this is just hard to stop isn't it 
biggrin.gif

I sure hope the Schiit Audio's new balanced amp will use more than a pair of tubes, so I can put more tubes to use. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #2,332 of 8,735
Quote:
Hehe, mine is only about $500 (maybe 600....), much less than yours. But I think after getting the Valvo CCa and Telefunken E88CC, I am done at least for now. Hmm...maybe I will get a pair of Siemens CCa, or some Amperex PQ tubes....this is just hard to stop isn't it 
biggrin.gif

I sure hope they Schiit Audio's new balanced amp will use more than a pair of tubes, so I can put more tubes to use. 

I'll give you another month or two...then we can compare expenditures... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #2,334 of 8,735
Wow....

All the best!
Alex

In all honesty man I don't think you have done enough tube rolling the 6N1p's sound good at first impression but once you up the ante and get some vintage tubes they lose their wow factors .. now in their defense I have some 60's 6N1p's that sound much better than the Schiit tubes but they are in a box
gathering dust they just do not compare to my other vintage tubes.. but if you are happy thats all that matters .. Godspeed

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2,336 of 8,735
Well you know I honestly went back and listened for 2 hours today with the same 6N1P's and was brutally honest....like most things at first they sound better, different...and then over time it starts to sound ho-humm and we start looking for the next new 'better'...with the 6922's, and 6BZ7s which I like both...every 2 weeks or so I swapped them out and over the 2 weeks or so they became ho-hum to me....then swap them out and voila they sound 'different' than the others or so I think...and the cycle repeats....now the hohum is not bad...they sound really good but it a new norm...

With the 6N1P's I got it was a real WOW these are really 'BETTER' no doubt, no questions asked...after a second listening session to day I was thinking that they were going to start to be the new norm and well ....nope....in the 2 hours of listening, critcally I was BLOWN away at the overall presentation of these tubes in the Lyr. Still an OMG experience.

Allision Krauss, Ben Harper, Regina Spektor. Travelling Wilburys, original mono recordings of Dylan, details, details, exacting resolution....phenomenal bass slam and impact....again hated to stop to be a normal person again!!

Tomorrow I will put back in the GE 6BZ7s and see if what I am experiencing disappears....if it does, then I will be ordering another set of the best $20 tubes for this combination that money can buy.

One of these days I might bump into one of you real tube experts and try your mega buck exotica NOS tubes, but something is telling me its not going to be even close in a price performance comparison to these tubes...that does not mean that all these neat expensive NOS tubes arent any good....just more costly for great sound..

The tubes I have do not have any manufacturer labels. No Sovtek etc...they do have the OTK label which means:

[size=medium]The label OTK on the surface of the tube bulbe means that
it is a Russian tube was gone under a military test.
OTK is an abbreviation in Russian language.
It means: it was controlled by a Military organization.[/size]

[size=medium]Alex[/size]

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2,337 of 8,735
Socket saver anyone?

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #2,338 of 8,735
Hello. I'm searching for a pair of tubes for my Lyr, which drives Sennheiser HD800. Now I have GE 6BZ7. I like the way my system sounds.
I just want tubes which will be more musical and will give me more detailes and better separation, but will have the same balance (GE is OK for me - not bright and not dark, just optimal).
Please, suggest me something.
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #2,339 of 8,735
Quote:
Hello. I'm searching for a pair of tubes for my Lyr, which drives Sennheiser HD800. Now I have GE 6BZ7. I like the way my system sounds.
I just want tubes which will be more musical and will give me more details and better separation, but will have the same balance (GE is OK for me - not bright and not dark, just optimal).
Please, suggest me something.
confused_face_2.gif

There's just such a variety of options out there.  I guess the first question is how much are you willing to spend?  The prices can range from a few tens of dollars for a set to literally hundreds of dollars for a single tube.  If you have an idea of what you would be willing to spend, then it would be easier to offer suggestions.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #2,340 of 8,735
I think from 100$ up to 500$. Can you please suugest some tubes in different prices, so that I can choose. The only demand is that they sound in balance like my 6BZ7!
I was thinking about Philips miniwatt SQ, but some people say that they are brighter than my GE.
frown.gif

And may be some alternatives with will be just a little bit darker than GE (at 6-8KHz).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back