Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #2,297 of 8,735

Quote:

Yes, that's the place I got them (I think they said that the rest of them were my private stock. I have no idea why you can see this item...He,he,he) (What was it Golem would call the ring "my precious . .precious ...all mine...my precious". & I wouldn't be beyond biting someones fingers off if they tried to take some of "my precious"....Try & take some as Dirty Harry would ask "Feeling lucky, punk?). Wow, I don't know where this all coming from..I'm actually a pretty nice guy. I did'nt realize tube rolling was going to be so cutthroat. I guess you have to get them before a "dealer" buys up the stock. (witness what happened to the Lorenz tubes!!!  ... & then everybody laughs about it, but they still can't get what they want...now that is funny) Hopefully the price of these matched pairs is "high" enough to discourage a "dealer" from scoffing up the stock

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2,298 of 8,735
This one isn't such an easy decision like the Lorenz.  I'm pretty pleased with these $140 matched pair Lorenz 3-mica.  At $250 for the Siemens I have to think a little more about pulling the trigger so at this point they're all yours.  I know the Siemens will be great, it's a matter of waiting on the Schiit statement amp and seeing if its going to run with the same tube variants as the Lyr.  

Quote:
Yes, that's the place I got them (I think they said that the rest of them were my private stock. I have no idea why you can see this item...He,he,he) (What was it Golem would call the ring "my precious . .precious ...all mine...my precious". & I wouldn't be beyond biting someones fingers off if they tried to take some of "my precious"....Try & take some as Dirty Harry would ask "Feeling lucky, punk?). Wow, I don't know where this all coming from..I'm actually a pretty nice guy. I did'nt realize tube rolling was going to be so cutthroat. I guess you have to get them before a "dealer" buys up the stock. (witness what happened to the Lorenz tubes!!!  ... & then everybody laughs about it, but they still can't get what they want...now that is funny) Hopefully the price of these matched pairs is "high" enough to discourage a "dealer" from scoffing up the stock

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2,299 of 8,735

Quote:
This one isn't such an easy decision like the Lorenz.  I'm pretty pleased with these $140 matched pair Lorenz 3-mica.

One question... Do you get a hiss/noise with the 3-micca?

I do have hiss with 3-micca, but gray micca are dead silent.

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #2,300 of 8,735
No hiss/noise with the 3-mica but I guess with these older tubes there's going to be a variety of experiences.  I should have gotten in on the Lorenz first with the gray shield then with the 3-mica.  3-mica version apparently are know to have low microphonics http://vintageaudiotubes.com/?p=1157

Quote:
One question... Do you get a hiss/noise with the 3-micca?
I do have hiss with 3-micca, but gray micca are dead silent.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2,302 of 8,735

Quote:
This one isn't such an easy decision like the Lorenz.  I'm pretty pleased with these $140 matched pair Lorenz 3-mica.  At $250 for the Siemens I have to think a little more about pulling the trigger so at this point they're all yours.  I know the Siemens will be great, it's a matter of waiting on the Schiit statement amp and seeing if its going to run with the same tube variants as the Lyr.  

Well, that's good to hear. I spent about a week "mulling" over if I wanted to spend that much on this "glass" myself. I had'nt even considered whether or not the new Shiit amps will run w/ the same variants,hopefully they will !

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #2,303 of 8,735
Ok, does anyone have any thoughts on Amperex Phillips E88CC 1971 SQ Herleen Hol. prod in comparison to Siemens 1974 A -Frame tubes I have now ? (I'm very happy w/ the Siemens but I had to ask, so I'll know if they're "worth" keeping in mind for my next round.)

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2,304 of 8,735
Anyone have an electronic buzz when they touch their Lyr's volume knob? It's audible once I get passed 11 o clock, which is much higher than my normal listening levels but I noticed it last night when I was listening to a super quiet mix.

I emailed schiit and they told me to take off the volume knob and tighten the nut behind it. I did so and still have the buzz when I touch the knob, have switched tubes too. I don't mind it, just don't want the amp or my tubes to get damaged.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2,305 of 8,735
My NOS Mullard CV2493 (dimpled disk getter) came. This pair cost me more than 1/3 of the price of the Lyr amp. They both have matching factory code, and even the measurements match. 

By far the prettiest pair of tubes I have had yet, but will it sound the best? dang dang dang...that will come later today 
atsmile.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2,308 of 8,735
Quote:
Has anyone here tried the Matsuschiita tubes in the Lyr? They are quite economically priced, and I want to know if I should pick some up. Thanks.

I have them and have been trying them out with the Lyr and LCD-3.  I'll need a little more listening time and will post some impressions this weekend.  I will say they do sound pretty good initially and since you can get some on ebay for $8.99 a tube, they make a great deal.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2,309 of 8,735
Hmm, I have been listening to the Mullard CV 2493 for a long time now. I don't know how to put this, they are less warm than the Amperex/Valvo, yet not as cold as the Siemens, the vocals on the CV2493 is not forward, but slightly more forward sounding than the Siemens E188CC. All in all, I have nothing to say about them, there is nothing wrong with them, they just show me the music like they should. If there is one thing that you want me to say, I'd say that I feel that with the Siemens, I feel that the treble needs to be toned down a bit for non fatiguing listening (I am talking hours of listening here), but with the Mullard CV2493, it gets pretty faultless.

I can't really swap tubes fast enough until next week, when I get my socket saver.  In the meantime, I might try to get a pair of CCa tube.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2,310 of 8,735
Well said, I had a pair of CV2493 and those were my first casualty of the buzz war.  Luckily tubemonger took mine back.  From what I recall they were non-fatiguing and somewhere on the warm scale between say 6N1P and Siemens.  If you end up with some Siemens CCa you'll find those to be non-fatiguing as well.

As for swapping out tubes quickly, if you know somebody that can get you a box of nitrile or latex gloves you'll be able to swap them out quickly.  The gloves give you the grip needed at the finger tips to pull out the tubes.  With my bare fingers it was a pain. 

Quote:
Hmm, I have been listening to the Mullard CV 2493 for a long time now. I don't know how to put this, they are less warm than the Amperex/Valvo, yet not as cold as the Siemens, the vocals on the CV2493 is not forward, but slightly more forward sounding than the Siemens E188CC. All in all, I have nothing to say about them, there is nothing wrong with them, they just show me the music like they should. If there is one thing that you want me to say, I'd say that I feel that with the Siemens, I feel that the treble needs to be toned down a bit for non fatiguing listening (I am talking hours of listening here), but with the Mullard CV2493, it gets pretty faultless.

I can't really swap tubes fast enough until next week, when I get my socket saver.  In the meantime, I might try to get a pair of CCa tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back