Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #1,711 of 8,735
Gotta a Scary good deal on a pair of Siemens CCa 
wink.gif

What a tube.  Definitely a game changer and I had good tubes already (IEC Mullards, Bugle Boys, Valvo, 6BZ7, Mullard 6DJ8, Cryoset 6N23P, Gold Lions, etc.).  
The CCa require a little more gain than my other tubes but not an issue with the Lyr.  
My previous tube purchases ranged from $8-100/pair.  I had a CV2493 that was around $125/pair but returned them due to hum.  
As mentioned by others, the imaging, soundstage, and inner detail of the CCa is nothing short of terrific.  The resolution doesn't come at a cost of smoothness or musicality.
Watch out though, I'm hearing more recording flaws in my music, so these tubes are a little less forgiving.
Forward and transparent.  The low end is there and accurate, the best I've heard in a tube.  Pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting the bass to be better than say the Mullards.
Additionally, this tube is more neutral in tone than say the Mullard 6DJ8/ECC88, at least the ones I have.  This is a plus for those of us with warm headphones and DACs.  
There's a little more midrange meat to my IEC Mullards but I'm not missing it with these CCa's because everything else is great and the CCa still have fantastic mids.   

So bottom line, if I had to do it over again knowing what I know now would I go for these CCa first and call it a day?  Probably but only if I got a Scary good deal. 
One needs to hear other tubes to find out what is going to best in their own system because it may not be the CCa.  The CCa are synergizing well in my system but maybe not yours.
I don't regret one tube purchase so rolling is something that's fun if you're into trying subtle and different sonic signatures.  I'm keeping all of my tubes for now.  

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #1,713 of 8,735
Sferic, Is the amp humming like some have been complaining about in the thread or is the tubes themselves that are producing the noise? I have a pair of Gold Lions and the amp itself just recently started humming like others have been describing. I still can't tell if its the amp or the tubes...

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,714 of 8,735
Gotta a Scary good deal on a pair of Siemens CCa 
wink.gif

What a tube.  Definitely a game changer and I had good tubes already (IEC Mullards, Bugle Boys, Valvo, 6BZ7, Mullard 6DJ8, Cryoset 6N23P, Gold Lions, etc.).  
The CCa require a little more gain than my other tubes but not an issue with the Lyr.  
My previous tube purchases ranged from $8-100/pair.  I had a CV2493 that was around $125/pair but returned them due to hum.  
As mentioned by others, the imaging, soundstage, and inner detail of the CCa is nothing short of terrific.  The resolution doesn't come at a cost of smoothness or musicality.
Watch out though, I'm hearing more recording flaws in my music, so these tubes are a little less forgiving.
Forward and transparent.  The low end is there and accurate, the best I've heard in a tube.  Pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting the bass to be better than say the Mullards.
Additionally, this tube is more neutral in tone than say the Mullard 6DJ8/ECC88, at least the ones I have.  This is a plus for those of us with warm headphones and DACs.  
There's a little more midrange meat to my IEC Mullards but I'm not missing it with these CCa's because everything else is great and the CCa still have fantastic mids.   

So bottom line, if I had to do it over again knowing what I know now would I go for these CCa first and call it a day?  Probably but only if I got a Scary good deal. 
One needs to hear other tubes to find out what is going to best in their own system because it may not be the CCa.  The CCa are synergizing well in my system but maybe not yours.
I don't regret one tube purchase so rolling is something that's fun if you're into trying subtle and different sonic signatures.  I'm keeping all of my tubes for now.  

Glad you like them bro yeah the CCa's are special so sad there is no new tubes that are comparable.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,715 of 8,735
While writing these words i am enjoying my new pair of Mullard CV2492 that i got from HK sends. I like them more than my so far favorite cryoed 6n23p. I would say that they have the deepest bass and very clean highs so far.
The tubes i got from HK sends are all very good. I appriciate doing business with HK sends.Thanks a lot!!!
Maybe someone wants to get rid of some Siemens CCA's in the future.

Musically regards from germany,

perfect-pitch

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,716 of 8,735
We get all of our CCa from your Ebay guys 
tongue.gif

Quote:
While writing these words i am enjoying my new pair of Mullard CV2492 that i got from HK sends. I like them more than my so far favorite cryoed 6n23p. I would say that they have the deepest bass and very clean highs so far.
The tubes i got from HK sends are all very good. I appriciate doing business with HK sends.Thanks a lot!!!
Maybe someone wants to get rid of some Siemens CCA's in the future.

Musically regards from germany,

perfect-pitch

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,718 of 8,735
No, I don't have any humming. It's an intermittent sound like, maybe, some one is rubbing fabric against your ear. I'm sure it's the tube because first it was the right channel, then I switched 'em and it moved to the left. Not super annoying but you know how people like us are. The Lyr has been trouble free for me.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,719 of 8,735
Although I just swapped out for my Cryoset 6H23N's and with the Rev 2 LCD 2's I got as a replacement I'm liking them a lot again. The GL's bring out crystalline highs, but are less full on the bass. The rev 2's have more highs, so now the Cryosets sound more balanced. It just goes to show everything is relative.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #1,720 of 8,735
Okay, so for me anyway tubes become confusing pretty fast. It seems the consensus is that the Siemens & Halske CCa Grey plates ca. the 1960's are pretty much the best you can do for the Lyr. My question is what price range should I expect to pay for them? And, what are reliable sources for these? TIA (MrScary).

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #1,721 of 8,735
Okay, so for me anyway tubes become confusing pretty fast. It seems the consensus is that the Siemens & Halske CCa Grey plates ca. the 1960's are pretty much the best you can do for the Lyr. My question is what price range should I expect to pay for them? And, what are reliable sources for these? TIA (MrScary).

Finding a pair CCa siemens & Halske Grey plates is like finding a needle in a haystack I have two pairs and it took me almost 6 months to track them down. Your better bet is to get the CCa simens & Halske chrome plates they sound the same as the Grey they are just
made later in the 60's around 68... You can find them on ebay that is about the only place I have found them for Grey Plates expect to pay 400.00 or more a set for the Chromes they go for anywhere between 250 - 350. YOu can also try to get some CCa AFrames they have a tridemsional sound
just not as extreme as the CCa Grey plates or CCa Chrome.

I have a set of CCa Simens & Halske Aframes if anyone is interested I will let them go for 150.00
PM me if you are interested.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,722 of 8,735
Gave my CCa's another run tonight, still not wowing me.  Compared to the Philips SQ miniwatts they don't quite have the mid range I like. The CCa's tops and fine detail are very close to the Philips, and while the bass is good it's still lacking some.  Imaging seems very similar but the overall 'togetherness' goes to the Philips IMO.  But vintage is definately the way to go, a shame they can't nail production today to match yesterday.

Ben

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #1,723 of 8,735
That's great there is another fine tube for the Lyr.  Lots of excellent choices.
We may have to call MrScary out of rolling retirement to get another opinion them 
wink.gif

Quote:
Gave my CCa's another run tonight, still not wowing me.  Compared to the Philips SQ miniwatts they don't quite have the mid range I like. The CCa's tops and fine detail are very close to the Philips, and while the bass is good it's still lacking some.  Imaging seems very similar but the overall 'togetherness' goes to the Philips IMO.  But vintage is definately the way to go, a shame they can't nail production today to match yesterday.

Ben

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,724 of 8,735
That's great there is another fine tube for the Lyr.  Lots of excellent choices.
We may have to call MrScary out of rolling retirement to get another opinion them 
wink.gif

hahaha no Im fully retired Im happy with the CCa's for the Lyr and Im focusing more on Guitar amp tubes now I have a new Amp Head coming in :wink:

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,725 of 8,735
I wonder if I am going to get flamed for saying this, but I'm not as enamoured with the CCa's as I thought I would be.  While I am wow'd by the three dimentional staging (we're talking concert hall here), the bass extension leaves me a bit underwhelmed.  Of course, I can add some bass with EQ, but I was hoping to avoid that.  I have about two hours on both sets of tubes.  Please tell me, does their sound expand at all, does the bass improve?

Inquiring minds,
-HK sends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back