Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8,735

Loevhagen

1000+ Head-Fier
This tread is meant for Schiit Lyr users to share experiences regarding tube rolling on the amplifier in question. There are some experiences in other threads, but sparse postings makes it difficult to keep track on experiences and interpret a consensus of what kind of tubes make what kind of effect on different headphones.

Therefore, it would be nice if those having first hand experience with the Schiit Lyr could post their experiences in this thread to facilitate a knowledge base for potential owners, new owners and existing owners.

If the same experiences were presented in lines of:

Tube: (state full tube nomenclature)
Source used: (state DAC, CD-player, other)
Headphone: (state headphone used)
Impressions: (state what you perceive the combination gives in terms of "sound")

Thanks.

Kind regards,

an enthusiast waiting on his new Lyr and seek an easy reference / knowledge base for tube rolling.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 8,735
No takers? Alright, I guess I'll start.  As a caveat/disclaimer, I'm probably not the best with my jargon usage, and by no means do I have golden ears.  What I write here is purely subjective, and should be taken with a grain/bucket/dumptruck of salt.

Tubes: NOS Amperex USA 6922 gold-pin (orange print, PQ shield)

Setup: Sony Vaio F (Foobar2000) -> USB (Cardas Clear USB) -> Audio-gd NFB-11 (Sabre32 ES9018) USB -> Audio Metallurgy GA-0 RCA IC -> Schiit Lyr (Amperex 6922) -> Zu Mobius v2 -> Sennheiser HD 650.  DAC, amp powered by Pangea AC-9 to wall.

Source: FLAC Level 5.

Impressions:  Mind you, I just got these in today, so I've only been listening for a few hours.  Also, as they're NOS tubes, I don't know how much burn-in and listening time they've already received.  Compared to the JJ E88CC stock tubes (the only other tubes I've heard), it feels as if a veil has been lifted off the music.  This is especially evident in the mids and the lows.  Mids are clear and detailed, musical, and neither edgy nor recessed.  Bass is present and cleanly defined, tight, strong, punchy.  I do not feel that the highs are affected adversely by these tubes, and in fact might even sound a little better.  Listening to Saber's Edge from the Final Fantasy XIII OST, the harp and piano sound especially beautiful.  Definitely an upgrade, no question about it.  In conclusion, I doubt I'd pull these tubes in favor of something else, unless another profoundly positive tube review gets posted here (although I am looking forward to what Macedonian Hero has to say about the Mullard tubes).

-sridhar3

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 8,735
* happy *

My humble experience with tubes / valves is from Copland / Music Angel stereo amplifiers. Back then, the JAN Philips (low noise) was good and detailed. The rest of the tubes was not for the input stage, so I won´t post any experience from them.

The rest of you Lyr owners: Come on. :)

Let´s make this thread a knowledge base.

P.t. I´m speculating buying:

JAN-Philips 6922 Low Noise

Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC / 6922

However, the Genalex is said to be high gain and may introduce some noise int the play. Is that correct?

The Siemens look promising, or am I mistaken?

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 8,735
^^^

"However, the Genalex is said to be high gain and may introduce some noise int the play. Is that correct?"

Nope...the Genalex Gold Lions are dead silent. I think slightly quieter than the stock tubes. I have recently tried my NOS Mullard CV2492s and the Genalex tubes do hold their own against them IMO. Both are a good step up from the JJ tubes.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 8,735
^^^

"However, the Genalex is said to be high gain and may introduce some noise int the play. Is that correct?"

Nope...the Genalex Gold Lions are dead silent. I think slightly quieter than the stock tubes. I have recently tried my NOS Mullard CV2492s and the Genalex tubes do hold their own against them IMO. Both are a good step up from the JJ tubes.

Yes I agree the Gold Lions are dead silent even with my LCD-2's there is no noise. If you look at Tubedepot.com the Gold lions come in different varieties they had a high gain option.
http://www.tubedepot.com/gl.html

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:
^^^

Yes I agree the Gold Lions are dead silent even with my LCD-2's there is no noise. If you look at Tubedepot.com the Gold lions come in different varieties they had a high gain option.

The GL would all be the same gain. I would imagine they test for noise and the better testing tubes would be for areas where tube noise is more noticeable as in a phone stage. 

I have ordered some 6N1P's with gold plated grids. I have never heard of these before but it should be interesting. Then some nice military 1964 6N1P with extra micas and some nice 1960's 6N23P, which I like and they are a drop in for the 6DJ8 type as they don't have double the current draw of the 6N1P. I wish I had access to all my 6DJ8's back in the states but I don't so I, for me, oddly have to buy some more to populate this island with a few tubes. :^)

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 8,735
My first tube-rolling experience with the Lyr came this evening. With the stock JJs and my LCD-2, the top end and bottom end were both excellent, but the mids had a hazy, almost grainy quality that was quite different from what I'd experienced with the LCD-2s on other amps.

Tonight, I rolled in some Amperex (Herleen Holland) white label 6DJ8/ECC88s (date code GA2 Delta9F). Highs are a little smoother, bass is perhaps not as deep but better controlled, and the mids are back to their magic ways. These tubes are keepers.

I have some Holland-made Mullards on the way as well and hope to try them out in a week or so.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 8,735
I am looking into the following:

Jan Sylvania
Sovtek 6N1P
Siemens E88CC (borrowing from forum member wedge)
Mullard CV2492 KB/D from 1960s (borrowing from forum member wedge)

Will report back once they arrive.

------------------------------------------------------------

Source used: FLAC -> LD DAC_I

Amp: Schiit Audio Lyr S/N:000340

Headphone: Audeze LCD-2

Tube: JJ 6922/E88CC (stock tubes)
Impressions: They are a little dull or blanketed to me.  I am going to try to rate all my other tubes in reference to these.

Tube: Siemens 6922/E88CC (NOS and balanced)

Impressions:  The mids are relaxed and slightly recessed compared to the JJ, kinda airy sounding.  The highs are more forward and detailed compared to the JJ.  The bass is better defined than the JJ but the same apparent level.

Tube: Mullard CV2492 (KB/D coded from 1960s, NOS and balanced)

Impressions:  About the same in the midrange as the JJ except they are a little brighter in the top end of the guitar range.  Highs are also a little crisper and more forward as compared to the JJ and Siemens.  Bass drums sound a bit more transient and you hear a little more of the lower frequency content of the bass drum but at the same overall level as the JJ.  Overall sound is a little richer, my favorite tube so far!

Will report back and see if anything changes after a few more hours on them all.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 8,735
The JAN Sylvania are gritty and they made a million of them. I wouldn't spend the money. 

A nice tube to try and cheap, don't pay over 5 dollars is the 6BZ7 or 6BQ7A. They preceded the 6DJ8 family and were used heavily in TV's. They have a nice sound and in some applications I prefer them to the 6DJ8. Few people are aware of how good they are and for the price, they are worth trying. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 8,735
John, you know much more about this than I do, but Is the 6BQ7A safe to use in all 6922/6DJ8 applications? It has twice the plate voltage and half the transconductance of a 6DJ8, and does draw 10% more heater current (probably insignificant). But I would want Schiit to approve it's use before rolling those in, I would think.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 8,735
There are also the Valhalla 6H1N tubes that Schiit will soon start supplying. A must have for the cost and performance.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 8,735
There are also the Valhalla 6H1N tubes that Schiit will soon start supplying. A must have for the cost and performance.

Yeah I ordered some yesterday I hope that they keep the mids of the Gold Lions but don't lessen the bass will be interesting I ordered a bunch of strange tubes off of ebay hahaha so when I get them I will review them

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 8,735

Quote:
John, you know much more about this than I do, but Is the 6BQ7A safe to use in all 6922/6DJ8 applications? It has twice the plate voltage and half the transconductance of a 6DJ8, and does draw 10% more heater current (probably insignificant). But I would want Schiit to approve it's use before rolling those in, I would think.

The 6N1P draws about twice the current for the heaters as the 6DJ8 so that difference in the 6BZ7 doesn't matter since the Lyr can handle the 6N1P. The other parameters are fine but since it is direct coupled I checked with Schiit anyway and their retort was, "swap away". 

In some cases, and since this tube is in a low power position, I have found the 6BZ7/6BQ7A or non A, to be very good sounding. It just opens up the possibilities at very low prices. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 8,735
Cool! Good point about the 6N1p I should have thought of that. Anyway I have a nice pair of RCA 6BQ7A that I will try when get my Lyr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back